DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
woody649

Default Freeware PDF Editors?

Submitting a manuscript for print-on-demand usually requires a PDF, and I'm working on a project that's going to involve merging multiple PDFs into a single file for publication. That means I can't put page numbers into a header or footer within my base manuscript in Word. So I'm looking for a freeware (preferably) or at least reasonably-priced PDF editor that allows creating, editing, formatting, and deleting headers and footers. I know all this can be done with Acrobat, but that's comparatively expensive, and available only by subscription.

Is there anything else out there that can handle this task? I would prefer freeware, but I'll also look at programs that are available as a one-time, "perpetual license" purchase -- under $100.

Thanks.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

It has been ages since I worked on these kinds of things, and I have no idea what is available now, or even if my memory is correct. But one basic concept is that PDFs were not meant to be edited; they are final output. And so all the touchup tools are more like kludges. And so what one really needs is a tool that can load and edit postscript. Meaning, Adobe Illustrator. Perhaps you already have an Illustrator-like program and you could try using that.

Another angle is to get the parts back into Word, since it seems to be what you like using.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

woody659...

I know the response is quite late but, just in case it might prove useful, you might take a look at Bullzip. I use the free version BullZip PDF Printer software--thank you *(@#$!@ Adobe for screwing up the activation servers for Acrobat 8 Pro!--so that I can have a print-to-PDF printer instance on systems I can no longer install Acrobat on.

Their print-to-PDF software has a couple of nifty options that Acrobat never offered so I suspect that their PDF editor would be pretty good too. I think their PDF Studio might be what you are looking for and is free for non-commercial use so depending on your book you may need to touch base with them to see about a commercial license...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
woody649

Thanks. I haven't heard of that one, so I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

I have been MOST pleased with Bullzip PDF Printer. I did a fair bit of research on different print-to-pdf software when I discovered Adobe had screwed us all with respect to Acrobat 8 Pro and Bullzip came out ahead in both ease of use, flexibility, depth of options on the free side (vs. paid) and, they have documentation which a lot of the other-PDF software (other than Adobe...'-}}) does not...

While I've not used PDF Studio, my guess is that given my experience with Bullzip PDF Printer, I'd be happy with it--I still have one system with Acrobat 8 Pro installed so when I need it (not often), I have it on that system.

Terrie
Old 11-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I still have one system with Acrobat 8 Pro installed so when I need it (not often), I have it on that system.

When would that be? What (presumably few) features does Bullzip lack compared to Acrobat? Says the guy you've hooklinesinkered re Bullzip. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: When would that be?
When I (very rarely) need to edit a PDF is the only time I actually open Acrobat. I use its printer instance all the time.

>>What (presumably few) features does Bullzip lack compared to Acrobat?

I went looking for a 3rd party print-to-pdf when (as I've noted), I discovered *()#!@ Adobe had blocked the Acrobat activation servers. I wasn't looking for a PDF editor rather just something that would allow me to print to PDF--I could NOT get through a day online without that. Because of that, I've never looked all that deeply into Bullzip's PDF Printer software and never tried to edit a PDF with it--I've got the free version of PDF Printer installed as it works for print to pdf quite nicely...

>>Says the guy you've hooklinesinkered re Bullzip. ;-)

LOL!!! Which Bullzip PDF software are you using--PDF Printer or PDF Studio? I'm so glad you are happy with it. I did a fair bit of research on the different print to PDF software out there. A lot of people really like Foxit but I thought it was terrible--the UI was awful--and I'd didn't care for the hoops I had to jump through and if memory serves, they spammed me which I found annoying...

Terrie
Old 11-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
woody649

For printing to PDF I have been using doPDF7 for years. There are newer versions available, but version 7 does everything I need to do. What I need is a non-Acrobat program that will allow me to merge multiple PDFs into a single file/document, and then create or edit headers and footers for the document. If it also does bookmarks, that's a plus, but I have two other freeware programs that can handle that task.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
woody: What I need is a non-Acrobat program that will allow me to merge multiple PDFs into a single file/document
From looking at the on the Bullzip PDF Studio page, that's what it allows you to do but you might also take a look at the PDF Studio documentation to get a better feel for what it offers...

Terrie
Old 11-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
woody649

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
From looking at the on the Bullzip PDF Studio page, that's what it allows you to do but you might also take a look at the PDF Studio documentation to get a better feel for what it offers...
Rather minimal documentation. And it doesn't say anything about being able to create and edit headers and footers. There are other freeware PDF utilities that do claim to be able to do that, and those are the ones I need to investigate.