DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
danakay

Default Postscript Printer Recommendation Wanted

After using a color ink jet (Epson CX5200) as my sole printer for the past four years, I'm ready for a postscript printer. Mainly because the ink jet needs servicing and I can't justify the expense. Also, I'm tired of saving everything to PDF before printing and would like a speedier printer.

I'm a one-gal design business and leaning toward a black postscript and a new color ink jet, but could be swayed into a color postscript. Most of my business is PDF publishing and the printer is just for proofs on my end. The client receives PDF proofs.

I've been out of the postscript printer world for a while so was hoping I could draw from the vast knowledge base of this forum. The last postscript I owned was a GCC back in the early 90s. I loved it because it printed edge-to-edge on three sides. Pretty sweet.

Any rave reviews?
danakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Others will be able to offer opinions and advice on colour inkjets, but I can say that I've been very happy with my GCC mono laser. It's never had a service in all the time I've had it, which must be eight years or more now. I can still get printer drivers for it, and never have a single problem with it apart from the fact that after I turn it off and on again, the first A4 job prints incorrectly. So I basically never turn it off. Newer models may not have this problem, which is really a minor irritation unless I forget and print a long job first up.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
danakay

Default Gcc

Thanks! Nice to hear that GCC is still going strong. I loved mine 15 years ago.

Went to their site and they currently only offer two different printers. The letter-sized one is a bit overkill for my needs so called them. Sounds like there's a possibility of getting a refurbished one for short money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Others will be able to offer opinions and advice on colour inkjets, but I can say that I've been very happy with my GCC mono laser. It's never had a service in all the time I've had it, which must be eight years or more now. I can still get printer drivers for it, and never have a single problem with it apart from the fact that after I turn it off and on again, the first A4 job prints incorrectly. So I basically never turn it off. Newer models may not have this problem, which is really a minor irritation unless I forget and print a long job first up.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakay
Thanks! Nice to hear that GCC is still going strong. I loved mine 15 years ago.

Went to their site and they currently only offer two different printers. The letter-sized one is a bit overkill for my needs so called them. Sounds like there's a possibility of getting a refurbished one for short money.
That could be a great option for you. They're good workhorses.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
danakay: I'm a one-gal design business and leaning toward a black postscript and a new color ink jet, but could be swayed into a color postscript.
Can't give you any advice about current ps printers--I'm still using an HP6MP which is working quite nicely--but I would support you in having a non-color ps laser printer and a color inkjet as it works well for me.

I have a bias towards Epson inkjets (I have an Epson 4000) so that's what I'd recommend. If you think you won't be printing wider than 8.5, then I'd take a look at the Epson Stylus Photo 800. If you think you might want to print up to 13" wide, then either the Epson Stylus Photo R1800 or Epson Stylus Photo R2400 might be a good bet...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
danakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Can't give you any advice about current ps printers--I'm still using an HP6MP which is working quite nicely--but I would support you in having a non-color ps laser printer and a color inkjet as it works well for me.

I have a bias towards Epson inkjets (I have an Epson 4000) so that's what I'd recommend. If you think you won't be printing wider than 8.5, then I'd take a look at the Epson Stylus Photo 800. If you think you might want to print up to 13" wide, then either the Epson Stylus Photo R1800 or Epson Stylus Photo R2400 might be a good bet...

Hope that helps...

Terrie

Thanks for the input, Terrie. I liked my Epson multi-purpose until it quit working recently. I think the mono ps and new ink jet is the way to go, too.

Dana
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
danakay: Thanks for the input, Terrie.
You're welcome...

>>I liked my Epson multi-purpose until it quit working recently. I think the mono ps and new ink jet is the way to go, too.

I never liked the multifunction units because I always figured one part would die and I'd be left with the part I rarely used...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
danakay

I never liked the multifunction units because I always figured one part would die and I'd be left with the part I rarely used...'-}}

I agree. I bought it 5 years ago when I was working from my boat and space was an issue. Now I need a "big girl" printer.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
danakay: Now I need a "big girl" printer.
ROFL!!!

Do let us know what you end up getting...

Terrie
Old 03-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
imatt

Are you after laser or inkjet? Colour or mono (in case of laser)?

I use a Lexmark C510 colour laser myself. prints 8ppm colour and a whoping 31ppm mono. Can use carts which last up to 10,000 black and 6,500 colour. It comes with PS3 emulation and PCL 6. Have had no probs with the emulated PS, even from InD and Ill.

Beware most budget colour lasers as they do not have PS built in at all.

Perhaps take a look at the Lexmark C522 which has a higher res than the C510 or the Dell c3100n or if you're loaded, the c5100n. The c3100 gets good reviews for print quality but the carts may be tricky to get hold of though as Dell supplies are nowhere near as as common as HP, Lexmark, Canon or Epson.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote