DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 AM   #1
Barrie Greed

Default Scanner Recommendations

Whilst I am whiling away my time in coronavirus lockdown I thought it might be time to attack the pile of old papers in the loft and get them digitised.

My current CanonScan N670U is not up to the job. It measures performance in minutes per page rather than pages per minute.

I am looking at a Canon ImageFormula DR-F120. Anyone any experience with one of these? Anyone got any other suggestions for suitable scanners. I'm not wedded to Canon. I need an auto document feed and reasonable page per minute (the DR-F120 is 20ppm) but could live without double sided. I don't need a 3 in 1.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I've had very good luck with the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 I bought a few years ago. The auto-document feed is extremely reliable, it scans double or single sided and it's quite fast. When I bought it, the included software lets me scan a book directly to PDF then later batch several books worth through an OCR process that converts the PDF image-only text to real searchable text.

The VuScan software I use with my Canon flatbed also works with the S1500.

I think the current version is the ix1500 but the S1500 is still available here and there (found it on NewEgg just now).

https://www.fujitsu.com/us/products/...ansnap/ix1500/

https://www.newegg.com/fujitsu-scans...82E16838115052

I don't understand why NewEgg has so many listings for the ix1500 at different prices.

Ah, and the software's changed from what I have with the S1500, for the worse according to one reviewer:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Singl...iewid=10079899

[Bibliophiles, look away]
I use it mainly to convert old computer books to PDF before recycling them. I got a serious guillotine trimmer from Amazon that I use to trim off the bindings, so I can run batches of pages through the scanner. And watch movies at the same time, guilt-free 'cause I'm doing something useful too.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Barrie Greed

Steve

Quote:
I've had very good luck with the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 I bought a few years ago. The auto-document feed is extremely reliable, it scans double or single sided and it's quite fast. When I bought it, the included software lets me scan a book directly to PDF then later batch several books worth through an OCR process that converts the PDF image-only text to real searchable text.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to the list but it's about about twice the price of the Canon. Maybe I need to spend that much to get something worthwhile.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: [Bibliophiles, look away]
LOL!!! Not for computer books. I htink your approach is very clever...

Movie watching is also a plus...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I think the current version is the ix1500 but the S1500 is still available here and there (found it on NewEgg just now).
I've used both and find the new version very solid. The main differences are a slightly curvier exterior and a touch screen interface on the front.

The software is also a bit different but the scanning software is the same.

Quote:
Ah, and the software's changed from what I have with the S1500, for the worse according to one reviewer:
Eh, it depends on what you want. In some ways, I like it better and in others, not so much. But mostly I don't care - once I got it set up, I can do what I need to do pretty much the same way as the old software. (I have an S1500 at home and in IX1500 at the office.)

The most important piece of software for me- the OCR engine is still ABBY Finereader, and it's really good. The base model of the ix1500 comes with Nuance POwerPDF rather than Adobe, but you can get a model for slightly more that gives you a year's subscription to Adobe.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for this, Kayza. My S1500 is still going strong, but I've been wondering what I'd do if it ever conks out on me. Sounds like the ix version's an acceptable substitute.

{he sighs in relief}

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Kayza

Quote:
Thanks for this, Kayza. My S1500 is still going strong, but I've been wondering what I'd do if it ever conks out on me. Sounds like the ix version's an acceptable substitute.

{he sighs in relief}
Yes, I was really relieved that they hadn't messed stuff up too much.

I've never cared about most of the software extras, so mostly that has not been an issue for me. Nuance does not seem to be quite as full featured as Adobe XI, which was the last version they offered, but for most of the things I (and most of our staff at work) need, it's fine. As for everything else, I've never used it.

As long as I can set the main features I want (automatic duplex printing, face up scanning, etc.) to be my default and can just scan with the minimum amount of steps, I'm happy. They do let you do that. The additional profiles could be a bit confusing to start with, but once you know what you are doing, I can see some real use cases for it. And if you don't need it, you can just ignore it. And they did fix one minor but annoying problem with the ix500 (the successor to the s1500 and predecessor to the ix1500), which was that the cover down sensor had a tendency to jam.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

The s1500's software makes getting AT the profiles to modify or create them a bit too fiddly for my taste, but using them is simple, and I find them very useful. My standard profile is set to produce a b/w PDF that's reasonably small but with enough resolution to make OCR reasonably accurate. But I've got several add'l profiles for things like scanning batches of small photos, scanning to the printer to make direct copies and so forth.

The one deal breaker for me would be the ability to batch OCR PDFs to add a text layer (so they're searchable). The S1500's Scan Manager software's UI is fairly goofy, but it gets the job done. I can scan any number of entire books, hand the PDFs off to the Scan Manager, set it working and go to bed.

Does the new software bundle include anything like that?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Kayza

Quote:

The one deal breaker for me would be the ability to batch OCR PDFs to add a text layer (so they're searchable). The S1500's Scan Manager software's UI is fairly goofy, but it gets the job done. I can scan any number of entire books, hand the PDFs off to the Scan Manager, set it working and go to bed.

Does the new software bundle include anything like that?
The new bundle definitely does the OCR bot, but I don't know if it does batching - I've never used the feature. The scanner is in the office, and I have no idea when I'm going to go in next.

Remind me about this when things calm down a bit...
Old 05-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayza View Post
The new bundle definitely does the OCR bot, but I don't know if it does batching - I've never used the feature. The scanner is in the office, and I have no idea when I'm going to go in next.

Remind me about this when things calm down a bit...
If you promise to remind me to, I'll definitely do that. ;-)

Thanks!

www.pptools.com
and stuff