DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Really, HP????

I was researching an HP Officejet 6970 query in the dslreport's PC Hardware forum and decided to take a look at the 6970's User Guide stumbling across the following--HP6970 User Guide, page 89, emphasis mine:

"The HP cartridges used with this printer contain a memory chip that assists in the operation of the printer. In addition, this memory chip stores a limited set of anonymous information about the usage of the printer, which might include the following: the number of pages printed using the cartridge, the page coverage, frequency of printing, and the printing modes used.

This information helps HP design future printers to meet our customers' printing needs. The data collected from the cartridge memory chip does not contain information that can be used to identify a customer or user of the cartridge or their printer.

HP collects a sampling of the memory chips from cartridges returned to HP's free return and recycling program (HP Planet Partners: hp.com/recycle ). The memory chips from this sampling are read and studied in order to improve future HP printers. HP partners who assist in recycling this cartridge might have access to this data, as well.

Any third party possessing the cartridge might have access to the anonymous information on the memory chip. If you prefer to not allow access to this information, you can render the chip inoperable. However, after you render the memory chip inoperable, the cartridge cannot be used in an HP printer.

If you are concerned about providing this anonymous information, you can make this information inaccessible by turning off the memory chip's ability to collect the printer's usage information."

The above charming bit of info is followed by instructions on how to disable the euphemistically named "usage information function".

All I can say--other than I'm so glad I moved away from HP printers (used/owned for many years HP IIP, HP6MP and HP2200D) to Brother--is:

EWWWWW!!!!

I don't know how many of HP's printers are part of this "program" and I don't know if perhaps it's just their inkjet printers and not their laserjets but, it might be a good idea to check the User Guide of any (relatively recent) HP printers one owns to see if it might be infected with this "usage information function" ink/toner cartridges...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

They're everywhere. I wonder if it makes audio recordings of me trying to sing.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

All I can say is that you were a bit flat on the second line of the third chorus. Other than that, it sounded pretty ...

Oh. Um. I wasn't supposed to say anything about that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Oh. Um. I wasn't supposed to say anything about that.
ROFL!!!!

Good one...'-}}

Andrew...I thought you sounded just fine...'-}}

Terrie
Old 04-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Several inkjet printers actually include a unique serial number + the date/time the page was printed on each page they print.

You can get your own tinfoil hat here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machin...ification_Code

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: You can get your own tinfoil hat here:
I had forgotten about all the bruhaha this info caused. It appears to be linked only to color lasers so my guess is that monochrome laser printers would not have a mechanism to pass any info except, of course, via chips on the toner cart but I don't know if toner carts are chipped.

Many printer makers chip their inkjet carts primarily in an effort to restrict users from 3rd party ink but most 3rd party ink-makers developed work arounds to these restrictive inkjet cart chips. What I don't know is if companies like Epson and Canon also gather info via their inkjet cart chips.

I will give HP at least some teeny-tiny bit of credit for outlining their (creepycrappy) program in their user guides and I wonder (not enough to go check) if there is any info on this for each printer involved on HP's webpages for the printers? This crap adds one more reason I will not be buying an HP printer in the future or ever recommending HP printers (something I used to do quite frequently)--the other reasons are: crappy drivers and...the most annoying printer installation process ever to be developes...ugh...'-}}

Terrie
Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> It appears to be linked only to color lasers so my guess is that monochrome laser printers would not have a mechanism to pass any info except, of course, via chips on the toner cart but I don't know if toner carts are chipped.

I"m guessing that inkjets could just as easily do this, and the article I linked to alluded to a possible method for doing something similar with b/w laser printers.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I"m guessing that inkjets could just as easily do this
Yeah...definitely...

I missed the greyscale mention on my first reading: "For example, a modulation of laser intensity and a variation of shades of grey in texts are already feasible. As of 2006"

The color laser printers list from EFF is no longer being updated--as of 2017...

Terrie
Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Note to self: instead of printing money, make PDFs from now on.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

LOL!!! '-}}

Terrie