DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Online Backups

Has anyone used any of the online backup services? As a registered WinZip user I receive occasional promotional e-mails, and today received one for Carbonite. Does anyone have any info about this or any other online backup options - pros or cons?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

I have a subscription to ibackup for occasional use: my daughter 'borrowed' it while she was at uni to keep copies of her coursework. It does what is says on the tin, as they say!

http://www.ibackup.com/

But I have oodles of spare space on my hosting account that I could use if I wanted!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

I have 5GB of backup space on Xdrive which works OK - and is free. I don't use it a great deal, though, as like Lois, I can also store backups on some of my web space.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Xdrive pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
I have 5GB of backup space on Xdrive which works OK - and is free.

This Xdrive review from November 2005 doesn't really explain the pricing.

The pricing has changed to make the first 5Gb free, which I am supposing is a way to get those who want more storage space to pay for it, and that's how they support the free disk space. After all, disk space now really cheap.

I guess the only way to see their pricing is to join. I do find it annoying when any web site is coy about their pricing.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Backup Software

Franca,

See also my Backup Software thread over in General Publishing Topics.

David

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-16-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: add link
Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I guess the only way to see their pricing is to join. I do find it annoying when any web site is coy about their pricing.
As it is part of AOL, you will already have an account! Just sign in with the AOL screen name and password. Even then I think you will not be able to find the pricing of larger amounts of space.

My main use of Xdrive is for file sharing with friends & family. I can upload a file and then use the system to email them a link to download it - they get to see some AOL ads, but it is better than giving putting the files on one of my servers and sending out the emails myself.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Has anyone used any of the online backup services? As a registered WinZip user I receive occasional promotional e-mails, and today received one for Carbonite. Does anyone have any info about this or any other online backup options - pros or cons?
It seems on-line back-up is the only way to be secure in the event of a fire. But, what if one is storing stuff that does not yet have a registered copyright? How secure should one feel about that? Who really has or can get access?

I suppose I could store copies at another location. I don't know if I like that option either. Maybe, I could put some discs in the shed.

(But for my software programs, in the event of fire, I think I'm going to have to let them burn, and deal with an insurance company. A fire proof storage would be difficult and of questionable integrity, I think).

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
It seems on-line back-up is the only way to be secure in the event of a fire. But, what if one is storing stuff that does not yet have a registered copyright? How secure should one feel about that? Who really has or can get access?
The best on-line archive providers take security very seriously. The risk I would guess is more likely during the file transfer stage. This could be done via secure ftp or similar to minimise that risk. The file could be encrypted and compressed as perhaps a .rar file with password protection.

Fire is the main reason for external storage. Locally I use external hard drives for backups - I suppose I could build a suitable safe storage area somewhere in our garden to keep them in.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Reasons for external storage

Quote:
...Fire is the main reason for external storage.
For your location, fire may be the main reason, but some of us are concerned about burglary, and others about floods and earthquakes.

Having just made a complete backup on 9 DVD's, I now look at them and wonder about external storage, either physically, or on the web for the 22GB separate backup made before the DVDs.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
George

Quote:
Fire is the main reason for external storage. Locally I use external hard drives for backups - I suppose I could build a suitable safe storage area somewhere in our garden to keep them in.
Well, if you have a close relative you trust near by, you could, maybe, keep a copy of some discs at his/her house. Unlikely both homes will burn at the same time. I think about this kind of stuff forever until something really neat comes to me.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote