DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Does your version of Reader allow you to choose where to install stuff?
Yeah...I get an error 1406...the whole thing is really #()$*! annoying!

The thing that's weird about is that, according to one of the error messages, it's looking to write to something acroexch.fdfdoc\shell\read\command (among others) and so I thought...well...I have the same version installed on my desktop system so maybe I can just copy the Registry entry(ies) from one system to another.

BUT!!!

Guess what?!!!

That (and other) registry entry(ies) does not exist in my desktop system's Registry.

According to pretty much every ref in a browser search, this is a permissions issue--even Adobe's useless webpage(s) on the error say this--so I found a nifty script that basically allows all users all access. Yes, on some systems that might be dangerous approach but this is my system so if I want everydamneduser to have access, then why not--that's when I use subinacl. In the end, that didn't fix it either...

Then, I read another page that suggest that it's an issue with the Windows Temp file--Acrobat 11 apparently changes the permissions on the Temp folder. While I'm not doing anything with Acrobat 11 (my Acro is 8 and has the same damned errors as Reader).

So my next approach is to look at Windows Temp permissions settings but I decided that yesterday (and perhaps today) is a don't muck with Win8.1 day(s) and give it a rest...

I know of sysinternals (I believe AutoRuns is part of it) but I've never used any of its other parts--I know there's something that allows you to look at the ongoing processes but I've not used that...

It's frustrating...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote