DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Surely someone…

I have 65 profiles at my library and rarely look at new books I borrow until I get them home because I just grab them from the reservation shelves and issue them to myself.

This is the cover of the one I started reading just now.

Surely someone at Orion, in the US or the UK, knows the difference between 'lay' and 'lie'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rage.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1987  

Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
terrie
Sysop

ROFL!!!!

A recent thread I've been reading at another forum concerns the apparent, becoming increasingly common, misunderstanding of the difference between:

costumer

and

customer

such that, in stores, we are now being helped by a costumer support. I've been wondering if that means that they help you while you do a quick change of costume in the frozen food aisle? '-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
ROFL!!!!

A recent thread I've been reading at another forum concerns the apparent, becoming increasingly common, misunderstanding of the difference between:

costumer

and

customer

such that, in stores, we are now being helped by a costumer support. I've been wondering if that means that they help you while you do a quick change of costume in the frozen food aisle? '-}}
Oh, no! That means it will start happening here. I get that language changes, but the ubiquity of online communication these days means that not only does it change faster, but that the lowest common denominator, i.e. the least literate version, becomes the norm.

I was asked by Facebook this morning to answer a survey on my experiences with FB. One of the questions asked me to tell them how much fun I found FB, with radio buttons to select from 'Extremely Fun down to 'Not at all Fun'.

At the end of the survey, I was offered the opportunity to tell them what I thought of the survey in my own words. So I borrowed from their bastardisation of the language with some of my own:

'Very Fun'? PuhLEEZE!

Thanks, people of the US. I love the word 'PuhLEEZE' and Facebook gave me a perfect opportunity to use it.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Now I lay me down to die,
I pray the librarian's wrath belay
Whether I've written "lay" or "lie"
Stay Calm and Put The Book Away

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
ann: I love the word 'PuhLEEZE' and Facebook gave me a perfect opportunity to use it.
LOL!!!

Least literate has indeed become the norm...

Terrie
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed the odd juxtaposition of stray characters in various Washington Post articles. Usually, they take a second or two to figure out that the misplaced character belongs (generally, and after a space) to the following word.

It's annoying that whatever software The Post is using to fiddle fit the words in a column is not as sophisticated as the human eye but the example in Sunday's Arts & Style section article on Lawrence Ferlinghetti was just incredibly delicious--
he was taken in by relatives after his father died and his mother had a mental breakdown.

To wit:

"Her uncle'sex-wife"

Terrie
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Oh, those artsy families ... there's just no TELLING what mischief they'll get up to.

What's next? Transgender munchkins? Oh. Wait ...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...08972697bc.jpg

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
terrie
Sysop

LOL!!!

Terrie