DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default ACDSee does face recognition

ACDSee does face recognition to help you locate all files of the same person on your computer. I guess it takes care of all this when it's not seizing up and requiring a reboot.

Anyway, here 'tis. If any of you get going with this, please let us know.

https://community.acdsystems.com/fac...l-recognition/

Old 07-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Why has facial recognition become such a big deal?

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Why has facial recognition become such a big deal?
Because it's new, it can help with hobbies, but it can also ruin people's privacy. I think the last one is getting the most public attention right now.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Because it's new,
I don't think that's the reason...

I think the reason is that companies like amazon, microsoft, google, et al believe the technology is viable and thus have pushed the idea of facial recognition to the general public as the new shiny toy so that they can get more and more images to use as training tools.

It just looks like the public has just found it...

Terrie
Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Picasa had the technology to do this many years ago. It worked well too.

DigiCam can do this, but I've never used it so can't vouch for it. It's free, so might be worth a try.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
I don't think that's the reason...

I think the reason is that companies like amazon, microsoft, google, et al believe the technology is viable and thus have pushed the idea of facial recognition to the general public as the new shiny toy so that they can get more and more images to use as training tools.

It just looks like the public has just found it...
I love the facial recognition on my new iPhone because it works brilliantly. The thumb/finger print never worked for me because apart from the fact that I don't have any visible whorls for it to use, since I lost a lot of weight, my fingers have a lot of big wrinkles. I would go through the process, which always took a long, long time, and it would work for maybe a day or so, then refuse to recognise me ever again, so I had to remember the numbers anyway.

But this facial recognition is brilliant. It even works when I'm lying on my side in bed with half of one side of my face hidden in the pillow, my eyes half open because I've just been woken up, no glasses, hair all over the place including on my face, and the phone nowhere near to exactly fully front on.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: and the phone nowhere near to exactly fully front on.
That is pretty cool!

There is an ad running here in the States which opens to lovely lazy afternoon backyard scene with someone on a chaise lounge napping along with their (rather large) dog flopped out beside the lounge.

There are whatever sounds texts make (the ad is closed captioned) repeated a couple of times. The camera focuses on a man on the lounge as the lounge begins to rise (from flat), the guy turns his head--barely--to the phone (on a small side table) and it displays a list of messages. The lounge goes back to flat as does the raised dog's head and the afternoon goes back to lazy...

Because of facial recognition not only does he not have to reach for the phone, he barely has to move...

Terrie
Old 08-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
That is pretty cool!
There is an ad running here in the States which opens to lovely lazy afternoon backyard scene with someone on a chaise lounge napping along with their (rather large) dog flopped out beside the lounge.

There are whatever sounds texts make (the ad is closed captioned) repeated a couple of times. The camera focuses on a man on the lounge as the lounge begins to rise (from flat), the guy turns his head--barely--to the phone (on a small side table) and it displays a list of messages. The lounge goes back to flat as does the raised dog's head and the afternoon goes back to lazy...

Because of facial recognition not only does he not have to reach for the phone, he barely has to move...
Yep, replace the chaise longue and summery outside with my bed, bedside table and lamp and it's how it works with me, too. I love it!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

'-}}

Terrie