DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default All you iphone users...heads up!

There was an interesting article in The Washington Post today (May 29, 2019) by Geoffrey Fowler (The Post's tech columnist): It’s the middle of the night. Do you jknow who your iPhone is talking to?"

Here's a little sampling:

"It’s 3 a.m. Do you know what your iPhone is doing?

Mine has been alarmingly busy. Even though the screen is off and I’m snoring, apps are beaming out lots of information about me to companies I’ve never heard of. Your iPhone probably is doing the same–and Apple could be doing more to stop it.

On a recent Monday night, a dozen marketing companies, research firms and other personal data guzzlers got reports from my iPhone. At 11:43 p.m., a company called amplitude learned my phone number, email and exact location. At 3:58 a.m., another called Appboy got a digital fingerprint of my phone. At 6:25 a.m., a tracker called
Demdex received a way to identify my phone and sent back a list of other trackers to pair up with. And all night long, there was some startling behavior by a household name: Yelp. It was receiving a message that included my IP address–once every five minutes."

The article goes on to mention Patrick Jackson, a former National Security Agency researcher who is chief technology officer Disconnet with which he developed "Privacy Pro" which identifies and blocks many trackers.

"Jackson’s biggest concern is transparency: If we don’t know where our data is going, how can we ever hope to keep it private? App trackers are like the cookies on websites that slow load times, waste battery life and cause creepy ads to follow you around the Internet. Except in apps, there’s little notice trackers are lurking and you can’t choose a different browser to block them."

There is also an article on "How to limit iPhone app tracking" with step by step info on which settings to check. For example:

"Go to Settings > Privacy–and look all the way at the bottom under the heading “Advertising”. Turning ON “limit ad tracking” won’t stop all this unwanted behavior, but it does put up a speed bump."

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 05-29-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fix broken link
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

I have to agree with Gabriel Weinberg, CEO & Founder, Duckduckgo - we shouldn't have to opt out of being tracked, we should opt into being tracked.

There's an interview with him here.

And it's not just an iPhone issue.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: we shouldn't have to opt out of being tracked
Exactly! Thanks for the link...interesting article. I've been using DDG for most of my searches for the last couple of years...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 05-30-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Speaking of DDG (which I've been using for a while now), does anyone know what the deal is with their extension that "grades" web sites, Privacy Essentials? I notice that a lot of sites get dinged because of "Unknown Privacy Practices". This one included.

If you look into it a bit more, it suggests that unless the site or its privacy practices are known to another site (tosdr.org), it will be marked down. tosdr's site gives no hints on how to get listed.

This ... how you say? ... sucks.

I've written tosdr to see if they have light to shed. Meanwhile, does anyone here know about this?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And having written tosdr, I received a reply in less than 24 hours:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for contacting us. The DuckDuckGo extension is by DuckDuckGo, so we have no control over how it presents (the absence of) our ratings. That said, ratings are contributed by our volunteer community through our tool at https://edit.tosdr.org/. After they are complete and have been approved by our volunteer curators, they will get listed at tosdr.org and eventually picked up by DuckDuckGo.

Hope that helps,
Vincent

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Suspicious sod that I am, I'd already turned off most of the "phone home" crap on the device. A funny, though: the "How to limit ..." article was behind a "We see that you're blocking ads. We're not letting you go anywhere until you stop that. Or subscribe." pop-up. O well. If I can't go anywhere, I guess I'll go away.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If I can't go anywhere, I guess I'll go away.
Yes...that drives me nuts and...I actually subscribe to the print edition of The Post but, I'm not logging in to read an article online thankyouverymuch...

I have an old version of PaleMoon (26.3) with which I use Adblock Latitude as the adblocker. The interesting thing is that most of the time, if I go to washingtonpost.com, search for whatever article I'm looking for, click on the appropriate link, I don't get that crap adblocking notice. However, it didn't work the other day and for reasons I can't explain, after closing and then reopening PM26, I decided to change the User Agent (via UserAgentSwitcher addon) and for another reason I can't fathom, I chose a version of Opera...

No stupid ablocking notice from The Post website...'-}}

Worked pretty consistently so...might be worth trying???

Of course, the other thing for me with The Post's website--or any website for that matter--is that I also use the Request Policy addon which allows me to see and control any site/page crosslinks so because I only allow what I need to have the page display, even when I turn off whatever adblocker I'm using, I don't normally see ads because they are fed via a (not allowed) crosslink. The number of crosslinks are page is growing and growing and growing...there are some sites with 50-60 crosslinks on a page which is just absurd!

Terrie
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Worked pretty consistently so...might be worth trying???

If I were desperate enough to read the article. But I'm not.

Or if I cared to participate in solving the problems created by the site, its management and developers. Again, not so much.

I haven't the patience to keep track of what site works with which browser/extension/add-in/etc. If the site doesn't work with whatever browser I happen to be using at the moment, not my fault, not my problem. I say it's spinach and I say the hell with it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: not my problem.
On the whole, I agree but then, this sense of challenge (you won't block me you assholes! '-}}) overtakes me and I start fiddling...'-}}

>>their extension that "grades" web sites, Privacy Essentials

Never heard of it...I've never seen that ding either but then, again, because of my use of Request Policy and only allowing necessary (for site display) crosslinks that might be why.

I just read about a new addon (at least I'm pretty sure it's an addon) "uMatrix" which is supposed to combine Request Policy and NoScript. I've not had a chance to look into it yet...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 06-02-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fix the add-on name
Old 06-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> On the whole, I agree but then, this sense of challenge (you won't block me you assholes! '-}}) overtakes me and I start fiddling...'-}}

Ah. You think we hadn't noticed???? ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff