DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
terrie
Sysop

Default Roku users?

So, apparently my sister signed up for Netflix and has been watching movies on...

....her phone...

Which is totally and completely ridiculous...

Because of that, I decided to investigate getting her a roku to be used wirelessly. I have spent some time on roku's website and I find it...irritating and annoying because of its lack of details and technical info and that makes me suspicious. I also have some concerns about security issues but given the reading I've done, I decided to order their Streaming Stick Plus because given the price ($39), I decided if it were to be a bust, I can live with having wasted the money...'-}}

Anyone here use a roku?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Gad, how tardy of me. I didn't see this thread before. I use Roku.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
terrie
Sysop

LOL!!!

Not to worry...my sister and I did get it sorted. I had been told that "Roku just works" and that it wouldn't be difficult and on the whole, what I was told is true. Setting up the Roku itself was straightforward.

The tricky bit was getting the wireless aspect working properly and that was frustrating and after a couple of hours sort of embarassing when I realized that the router's wireless would probably work better if the router wasn't sitting on my sister's desk/work table between (and below) an HP laserjet and a Brother AIO printer/scanner/etc.. Once we moved the router to an open area (and a bit above the surface of the other worktable (so it wouldn't get buried in paperwork), the Roku picked up a pretty decent wireless signal...

My sister is quite pleased with it...'-}}

Terrie
Old 09-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Cyranetta

I also use Roku and have found it extremely easy to set up and begin using. It has been very helpful in not straining my poor DVR.

The one downside is the Roku is in a contract battle with Comcast (NBC) and HBO so that their apps either are or will no longer be available on the Roku.
Cyranetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
cyranetta: I also use Roku and have found it extremely easy to set up and begin using.
My concerns about Roku were more in the security area--as in what sort of data might it be blabbing to the world--and when I checked around, it was pretty much deemed a non-issue.

>>The one downside is the Roku is in a contract battle with Comcast (NBC) and HBO so that their apps either are or will no longer be available on the Roku.

I would guess if your sole access to tv were through the Roku that is problematic but my sister has the full complement of FiOS TV so I don't think impacts her at all...

Terrie