DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Jobs in a post-newspaper market

In fall '17, I started working as a journalist/photographer for a local newspaper. Despite no journalism degree or professional writing background, I picked it up very quickly, and I'm proud to have taken this job, being given incredible independence to go interview, photograph and write stories on basically whatever I choose with virtually no daily supervision. I also did weekly newspaper layout in InDesign (this process recently went offsite). Being able to make an newspaper on a weekly deadline, from content to layout, has been a great desktop publishing experience.

The problem? The pay is poor, and symbolic of a dying industry. I started at a low wage because I was an "unproven" writer, but the time for a job review (and raise) never happened. A few months ago, our higher up manager came to the office for an urgent meeting to tell us my paper (we publish two in my office) is losing thousands monthly. It's had subscription declines for years in the face of a young, sprawling community not interesting in newsprint, so I've no chance of a raise until spring '19; even then, I find it doubtful. Although I don't see him often, said manager is also a bit of a snake.

So I'm job hunting for a mix of graphic design and writing positions. My background is diverse, but in some ways niche. I was a digital artist/animator in healthcare education and have skills in photography and graphic design, but even with an associates degree, I have no real full-time design job to my name.

I'm posting here in search of advice on my job hunting approach. Are there positions that might suit my new journalism experience that I may not be aware of? I'm considering going to the local university, perhaps for something art or teaching related, but high tuition and risk of failure in the job market is intimidating.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote