DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default checklist to inspect new computer

The last new computer i had it half set u before realizing the microphone didn't work. So I"m wondering, is there an existing check list of what to test?

Old 02-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Surely has to be your priority list?

I don't have a microphone on or with the desktop and don't need a microphone

The laptop has one but so ....

If the Internet connection didn't work or I couldn't print ....

Isn't the warranty period/store return policy so that you can find out what does not work? <g>work

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

GOOD question, Andrew.

Not so long ago, I got a new laptop and went through the whole setup drill which was only made worse by the fact that it came with Win10 and MS had moved all the furniture around. I kept walking around stuff that wasn't there, then bashing my shins on stuff that was there but shouldn't have been.

After all this, I unplugged the charger to see how long it'd run on a charge and found that the answer was "Not quite long enough for it to properly crash."

So a battery check would be high on the list for laptops.

Test each of the USB ports with a variety of devices.

Test the speed of the ethernet port and of the wifi if you have it.
They're never going to deliver the theoretical speed the advertisers promise, but they shouldn't be ridiculously far off either.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
terrie
Sysop

I think Steve's suggestions are excellent but...the very, very, very first thing I do with any new system--after booting of course--is to set "Windows Update" service to "disabled" (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services: highlight "Windows Update", right-click, choose "Properties", click on the "Stop" button and then set the service to "Disabled") so that there will be no sneaky, unexpected crap from Microsoft happening while I'm checking out the system.

If the laptop comes with a CD/DVD drive, test that it at least reads and make a note to test writing in the near future.

I'd be happy to send you the PDF I made of my notes on setting up systems (all Win7/Pro but might be useful for both Win8/8.1 and maybe Win10). I'm so glad 3-4 systems ago that I took the time to take detailed handwritten notes on the mods I made, then took the time to type them up--info was by date for both--and then took the time to reorg by type of change because it's made my life much easier when it comes to setting up systems and, it takes me a lot less time to do the setup.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Terrie

Windows 10 allows very little control of its updating and it can depend on the version you have.

You can no longer set eg Notify but don't Download or Install unless I say so.

In Pro, but not in Home, you can set a delay of up to 26 days I think which does allow some time for feedback.

You can also set hours of the day when it must not update. Mine runs out at 8:00pm I think and I just got (on Pro) a Notification that it was going to "Make Windows better"!

Doesn't say if they mean heal it or improve it however.....

Hugh
Old 02-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
Isn't the warranty period/store return policy so that you can find out what does not work? <g>work
Yes, and that's why I want a check list. The return expires in 30 days. Repairs require me to mail in my computer, and I'd rather do that before I've invested a lot of time in setting things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
So a battery check would be high on the list for laptops.

Test each of the USB ports with a variety of devices.

Test the speed of the ethernet port and of the wifi if you have it.
They're never going to deliver the theoretical speed the advertisers promise, but they shouldn't be ridiculously far off either.
Good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post

If the laptop comes with a CD/DVD drive, test that it at least reads and make a note to test writing in the near future.

Good idea.

I'd be happy to send you the PDF I made of my notes on setting up systems
I plan to leave Windows 10 as Vanilla as possible, except for the things Windows helps users disable during first startup. But if your PDF lists tests I can run, that would be very helpful.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
andrew: But if your PDF lists tests I can run, that would be very helpful.
It doesn't...basically it's a formatted list of all changes I made when setting up my system and I've continued to update it as I make later modifications. I'll pop it to you as you might find some useful things...

Terrie
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Doesn't say if they mean heal it or improve it however.....

"better" is Softian for "work".

If your computer comes with Win10 Home, you can upgrade to Pro for a fee or use an existing Win10 Pro license key if you happen to have one. Upgrading is just a matter of telling Windows you want to whisper the new key in its ear, after which you go away for a few minutes while it rolls the thing around on its tongue, comments on the chocolate and raspberry notes, reboots and voila, you've gone Pro.

And the first time you boot Win10, you want to refuse the defaults and instead let it walk you through a long set of options, each of which is set to share bits of your life with MS unless you turn it off.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
steve: while it rolls the thing around on its tongue, comments on the chocolate and raspberry notes, reboots and voila, you've gone Pro.
ROFL!!! Nicely put...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
"better" is Softian for "work".
I wish ....

Luckily I started with a gift Windows 8 Pro thanks to very appreciative forum owner who knew someone at Microsoft who .......

You do not have to accept the Microsoft Account log in if you can read very small dismal colored print very early on in the install process. I have not worked out the pros and cons of this said to be something to do with downloading apps from the Store.

Hugh