DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-13-2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Anne Wright

Default Good News, Bad News

In the interest of getting the bad stuff over first, mine for this weekend was that my oldest mare died yesterday. She's had some health problems for the last six months, but we did not expect her to go this quickly. We were trying to make arrangements to get her into a local vet clinic but because this is the one week of the big international horse event here in town, they had no openings. While we were trying to set up picking up medications to tide her over until Monday, she laid down and just went quietly. Valentine will be missed.

And now for the GOOD NEWS! Less than two hours ago, I looked out and our youngest mare was delivering her foal. All is well with Smoky and her colt. I named him "Kilmer" for a barn name, since I am not ready for another Val. Kilmer is big and strong and will be red - chesnut for most horse people, sorrel for Quarter Horse people.

Photos attached - and the mare has now delivered the placenta, so those who know what they are looking at don't worry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kilmer.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	74   Click image for larger version

Name:	kilmer2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	75  
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
In the interest of getting the bad stuff over first, mine for this weekend was that my oldest mare died yesterday. She's had some health problems for the last six months, but we did not expect her to go this quickly. We were trying to make arrangements to get her into a local vet clinic but because this is the one week of the big international horse event here in town, they had no openings. While we were trying to set up picking up medications to tide her over until Monday, she laid down and just went quietly. Valentine will be missed.

And now for the GOOD NEWS! Less than two hours ago, I looked out and our youngest mare was delivering her foal. All is well with Smoky and her colt. I named him "Kilmer" for a barn name, since I am not ready for another Val. Kilmer is big and strong and will be red - chesnut for most horse people, sorrel for Quarter Horse people.

Photos attached - and the mare has now delivered the placenta, so those who know what they are looking at don't worry.
So sorry to hear about the old mare, Anne. I lost my oldest a few months ago, and still miss her dreadfully.

Great news about the new arrival, however. Rejoice!

Ann

Last edited by annc; 03-13-2005 at 03:26 AM.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Anne Wright

Thanks, Ann,
With Valentine, at least I did not have to make the "big decision" for her as I have had for so many of my favorite horses over the years. She was such a sweetheart that we will all miss her.
Kilmer started trying to canter and cavort before he had polished the art of standing or lying down - he will probably be a good athelete, or at least enthusiastic! Our other expetant mare is looking more likely to foal. She's three weeks overdue, so it is about time!
Anne
Old 03-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

I'm so sorry about Valentine, Anne! So hard to lose an old friend even when you know the time is coming.

Kilmer is a cutie! Is that one teeny white sock on the right hind?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Anne Wright

Quote:
Is that one teeny white sock on the right hind?
Yep, Kilmer has a little white pastern on the right hind and a minimal star on his forehead. Wish I could figure out why my sorrel/chesnut babies that could use some flash have few marking while the dun foals that have enough color seem to have all the white feet and faces!
Here are shots of our last "color" baby - he's red dun but has four white feet and a blaze, not to mention the almost flaxen mane and tail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	76   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	77  
Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Photos attached.
Sorry about your bad news.

The baby, however, is charming! Congratulations.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Anne Wright

KT, Thanks! I'm feeling much happier with life this afternoon that I was yesterday - even with almost not sleep for the last two nights!
Anne
Old 03-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Anne...I'm so sorry to hear about Valentine...

The new colt is GORGEOUS!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Anne Wright

Thanks, Terrie. You know, I tried to write a message in the Animals Forum Grieving Section Saturday and just couldn't do it. It wasn't until I had something positive to include that I could write about it.

Kilmer is doing great - he is already tearing around full tilt.
Anne
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>annew: Thanks, Terrie. You know, I tried to write a message in the Animals Forum Grieving Section Saturday and just couldn't do it. It wasn't until I had something positive to include that I could write about it.

I know exactly how you feel...we lost a horse at Zo's barn week before last...he'd been ill--gone down in the field and then gone down in his stall--and Sandy (barn owner) had been looking for something like a foaling stall for him (he was a draft) and then he was getting better so that was put on the back burner...

As I got to the barn friday before last, I saw his human's car and expected to see Zack out but when I walked into the barn he was down in his stall and couldn't get up...it was just awful...I had to fight off tears as I didn't want to upset Amy (his human) any more than she probably was...they were waiting for the vet in hopes of getting him up...

I gave him some carrots which he eagerly ate and that made me feel better but rather than going and getting Zo, I left after a short time...I kept feeling as I ran some errands that I should go back but I just couldn't...

When I got home, I emailed Equine-l asking for their famous vibes for Zack and someone emailed me about an Anderson sling...I emailed Sandy to pass on this info and she emailed me back that he was gone...

It still brings me to tears just thinking about it...he was such a lovely sweet horse...

I happened to catch a couple of pics of him while I was taking pics of one of the other horses ( http://tlbtlb.com/tlbimages/jo.html ) and did some cards for Amy for Christmas so as therapy that night, I decided to create a portrait for Amy...put up a quick page with it http://tlbtlb.com/tlbimages/zack.html

>> Kilmer is doing great - he is already tearing around full tilt.

I'm so glad to hear that...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote