Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Founding Sysop
ktinkel's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default Our English friends

Robin, et al:

Just watched a TV show on home buying in France, by English people.

A couple of terms confused me: lounge and reception room.

What are those? Living room? Family room? Dining room? for the first. for the second, Foyer? Entry?

Those are American names for odd rooms, so I hope you can translate for me.

They also talked about loo and ensuite bathroom; the former seemed to be just a toilet, the second a full bathroom (toilet, sinks, tub/shower, possibly a bidet).

I thought I was pretty good with Britishisms but this show was confusing.

ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over-persuasive and bad English pubber On Language & Literature 3 09-18-2008 11:50 PM
Their English is better than my Chinese Cristen Gillespie On Language & Literature 13 06-11-2008 03:34 PM
English accents ktinkel On Language & Literature 27 04-21-2008 07:39 AM
Hello Old Friends! dexter The Corner Pub 10 05-16-2007 07:11 AM
King's English marlene The Corner Pub 11 05-23-2005 01:29 PM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.