DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Microsoft Office Home & Student

It appears that Microsoft allows us to update older versions of Office with the family/school edition.

It has what I want: Excel, and maybe Word. (Also PowerPoint and Entourage, but I don’t use those.)

Are these fully capable, up-to-date versions of Excel and Word? Will I be able to read files from hot shots with the professional version (whatever it is called)?

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
Will I be able to read files from hot shots with the professional version (whatever it is called)?
I've never heard of a 'family edition of Microsoft Office, so perhaps it's a Mac edition. The various versions of Office 2007 differ only in the range of programs, not in the programs' individual capabilities, so if the update caters for your needs, get it; the programs will be the same as anyone else with the same programs.

You're fortunate: the home and student edition of Office 2007 does not include Outlook, so I had to get Office Pro; the cheap edition (it's really cheap) has everything else I use.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

KT,

Yep, the Family/School edition programs are the same as the more expensive ones and if I recall correctly, allow installation on more computers.

But I think they're not intended for commercial/business use and they may not be eligible for upgrades when a new version comes out.

If you simply need to read/do some editing to/get text from documents created in the new 2008 format, you might be able to get by with the Mac version of the Office Compatibility Pack (don't have the exact name or URL handy but I can probably find it for you).

Unless you *need* the full Office 2008, you might want to wait 'til the next version of Office comes out. This one seems not to have been given as much time in the oven as it needed to become golden brown, crusty and full o' goodness.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I second Steve's suggestion to get the compatibility pack. I found it let me read documents produced by Windows users with Office 2007, thus allowing me to put off upgrading for some time to come. The less money I send Microsoft's way the happier I am.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Are these fully capable, up-to-date versions of Excel and Word? Will I be able to read files from hot shots with the professional version (whatever it is called)?
We have a 3 licence home pack for the girls' machines, as they use Office 2007 at school.

I have moved over to OpenOffice.org where version 3 does everything I need (and more) including reading and editing .docx (MS2007) format. And the price is good, too.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

I've set both my Mum and my daughter up with OO, and they seem to get on well with it.

(I have to have 'proper' MS Office as I do some development work on templates, macros etc. for clients, and can't take the risk of falling flat on my face in a puddle! Otherwise, I'd probably use it too.)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Not only upgrading - but using the all-new 2007 Ribbon interface. Having spent many years perfecting my keyboard shortcuts and menus, it's frustrating to have to start over - and no way to say "use the classic interface" either. What were they thinking of?

Like Vista's "WOW" interface, 'all fur coat and no knickers', as they used to say!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Not only upgrading - but using the all-new 2007 Ribbon interface. Having spent many years perfecting my keyboard shortcuts and menus, it's frustrating to have to start over - and no way to say "use the classic interface" either. What were they thinking of?

Like Vista's "WOW" interface, 'all fur coat and no knickers', as they used to say!
I can't agree more! I deliberately got a laptop with Vista because a client needed support for a database product I developed, but its relationship to my previous Windows laptop, same brand (ThinkPad) but with Win2K is like relating aliens to humans.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
imatt

I use Office 2007 Professional Plus. I got it at a student rate for £76. A bargain consideringit costs £350 or more! That said, you can get it for at sudent rates for £46 now. Or download from for £38.95:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...k/default.aspx

Sadly, you need an academic email address for the above.

The ribbon interface takes some getting used to. However, I did read of a plug in that converted Office 2007's look to Office 2003!!! If doing this, then it may be best stick with 2003 I guess.

P.S. I use Vista (64 bit) almost every day on my PC and have to say I like the interface. Esp its customise-ability.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Sorry — the correct name is MS Office Home & Student.