DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default Site check please

Can somebody with one of those funny Mac computers have a quick look at this web site, please. It is a Joomla! site, still in the early stages, but the clients want it to be live already. Works OK on real browsers on a PC, just a small problem with IE which I may sort out later, but I need to make sure it does not fall apart for Mac users.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Attractive site!

When in the forum screen I click on the test message, I get an error message:
Quote:
An invalid post id was requested.
\n
Because I was curious, I clicked on the little icon appearing upper right of the ghosted-image-behind-text middle section and found it displayed the text without the ghosted image, but the text becomes mostly unreadable that way, getting lost in the dark areas of the image behind. I then hovered over the icon to see if a helpful label popped up and found it's called "Print". Might be my eyes, but it doesn't look like what I expect a "Print" icon to be.

That icon appears, I notice, also on the "Contact us" page and I haven't figured out why I'd want to print that page. I then clicked it there to see what happens and found that the form does not display in what pops up, only the image without ghosting, the text "Contact Us [line break] Mr D Hume", that Print icon again and the "close window" option.

When I go to the links page, then click on one there, the resulting links list has the little blue icon bullet thingies on their left centered on their entire paragraph, not where I'd expect to see such bullets -- up by, aligned with the first line.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Thanks Elyse. The print icon is a the standard Joomla one - now switched to text. The reason for the print link is that the centre div is not printable without the abilty to specifically select it. Have not yet completed the print CSS - I need to remove the background image from the display, although it won't print for most users. Unfortunately it is not possible to remove the print link from those pages that don't need one - at least not with the current template.

I was hacking into the forum earlier and decided that I may make some changes to the code. I left a few database entries corrupted!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Thanks Elyse. The print icon is a the standard Joomla one - now switched to text.
Nice and straightforward!

Quote:
The reason for the print link is that the centre div is not printable without the abilty to specifically select it. Have not yet completed the print CSS - I need to remove the background image from the display, although it won't print for most users. Unfortunately it is not possible to remove the print link from those pages that don't need one - at least not with the current template.
Ah, understood.

Quote:
I was hacking into the forum earlier and decided that I may make some changes to the code. I left a few database entries corrupted!!!
Whoops! <g>

Oh, and I did a whoops, too -- didn't tell you which browser I used to view it: Safari 1.2.3 (v125.9)

Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Daudio

Kelvyn,

On my OS9 WaCom (Mozilla 1.3.1) browser at 832x624:

On the home and proposal pages the text and images run out of the gray center box to the right about 15% - 20%, but not on the other pages ! Except that the Message textarea box on the Contact page overruns the gray box too.

Perhaps there is something in common with these pages/elements that you can find.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
Kelvyn,

On my OS9 WaCom (Mozilla 1.3.1) browser at 832x624:

On the home and proposal pages the text and images run out of the gray center box to the right about 15% - 20%,
The site is not meant to be viewed on small screens! Client spec is for minimum 1024 width...... However, I have fixed the overflow for screens down to 800px wide. A simple CSS fix.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Can somebody with one of those funny Mac computers have a quick look at this web site, please. … I need to make sure it does not fall apart for Mac users.
Looks fine for me when viewed with Firefox 1.0.7, Safari 2.0.1, and Opera 8.0.2 (Mac OS X 10.4.2).

The only odd thing I see is that Opera doesn’t seem to understand transparency. If I narrow the window so that the Home page text panel overlies the large image below, it simply obliterates it in Opera. The others show the transparent overlay (very nice).

Because of this color difference, the images are darker in Opera, and your round corners are distinctly stair-stepped, something that is obscured by the transparency effects in the other browsers.

The other thing is one of those typical web things: When I set all three windows to the identical width and height, only Firefox shows the text panel overlapping the image. The others have (a) shorter text (even though the size appears to be roughly the same) and (b) the large image sits lower on the page.

None of these seem particularly awful, however.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
The only odd thing I see is that Opera doesn’t seem to understand transparency. If I narrow the window so that the Home page text panel overlies the large image below, it simply obliterates it in Opera. The others show the transparent overlay (very nice).
Kathleen, Opera does not seem to interpret opacity correctly - but neither does IE6. Something related to this seems to cause the jags on the rounded corners. I will have to carry out a little research on this, but at least the site is useable - or will be once I have improved the forum.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
… at least the site is useable - or will be once I have improved the forum.
Yep, I’d say so. Pretty site, too.

Didn’t know that about Opera. Wonder if that is why it sees the message background in the CompuServe forums as grey.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Can somebody with one of those funny Mac computers have a quick look at this web site, please. It is a Joomla! site, still in the early stages, but the clients want it to be live already. Works OK on real browsers on a PC, just a small problem with IE which I may sort out later, but I need to make sure it does not fall apart for Mac users.
Coming late to this (time zone) so can't add anything to the browser reports.

I did, however, find a typo on the Links page - 'Published aricles'. Not sure if this is your area, or the client's.