DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
john_b

Default media players

Well I've finally given up on the new improved Windows Media Player version 11. You would think it would be a simple matter to associate mp3 files that I have named and organised in directories which I have also named and organised with a couple of playlists that I would also like to name, but can't. It used to be the case that I could right-click on a file in Explorer and there would be an option to add it to a playlist. Simple. Job done. Can't do that in version 11, it's been improved, you see...

I tried iTunes but must have done something wrong because it helpfully and enthusiastically embarked upon a process of renaming my carefully organised files and placing them into more convenient new directories and subdirectories. Try to imagine my displeasure when it had finished and I discovered what it had done!

I've never come across software that works - or in my case doesn't - in an entirely alien and unintuitive way. I'm sure that it must make sense to someone but I'm obviously missing something completely fundamental because it makes absolutely no sense to me. And, yes, I have tried to work through the Help files and I have, in fact, spent a good few hours trying to get it to do something that ought to be very, very basic. I have failed.

There must be software out there that does what it says on the tin, but I haven't found it yet. Meanwhile, I've rolled back to WMP version 10 which ain't perfect - it seems that it can't even rip a CD unless you shell out $10 for a codec - but it'll have to do...;-(
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote