DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 10-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default A new HP printer for Andrew...'-}}

Quote:
Andrew: Truth is I'm not quite done with bracelets.
Why am I not surprised...'-}}

What sort of printer? Do you want color or is monochrome ok? Printer only or are you looking for an all-in-one (never been my approach but others like them)?

On the whole I've been pleased with what Brother has to offer so I'd suggest looking there first.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm looking at the HP Officejet Pro 8025 All-in-One I know you favor Brother I have had good luck with HP. One thing I'm looking at with this is the price. If I keep it four years that will be $30 a year, after which I could give it to Goodwill and get a new one. One thing, though. I'm looking at the price which has dropped $50 and that makes me wonder if they are trying to get rid of them.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

They always try to get rid of old stock when there is something new in the pipeline. New doesn't always mean better though.

I've got an older HP Photosmart Premium AIO, which works well. Except as a wireless AIO on Windows - works just fine on Linux. For me it is the software HP supplies that lets the side down. Always clunky and somehow old fashioned.

More recently I got an A3 AIO from Brother (mainly for the A3 scanner), the MFC-6530DW which I am very happy with. Bought mine when they tried to get rid of them at Currys/PC World at half price.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: For me it is the software HP supplies that lets the side down. Always clunky and somehow old fashioned.
HP drivers pretty much suck. I was so disappointed with their crap Win7 drivers for the HP2200D because I lost a lot of functionality that I'd had.

My sister had been so pleased with the Brother MFCJ410W AIO that we bought as a stop-gap printer when her previous printer died paying $60 for it--I figured if it lasted a year, it was worth the cost and it's still going (pretty) strong 8 or so years later--that I decided to take a look and see what Brother had to offer in the way of monochrome laser printers and I've been pleased with the 5470DW I bought.

Terrie
Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I wonder if different teams at HP (with wildly different UX skillsets) create these things. I've got an older HP laser printer that hasn't seen a driver update since before Win7, IIRC. And in fact, I have to use a close relative driver to use it at all.

OTOH, I've got two OfficeJet Pro 8100s (one for me, one for Herself), and spec'd another for a conference where i run a help center/computer lab. Apart from the cruftware they always want to install (but that you can opt out of) the things have been a dream to work with.

Most recently, we had a half dozen Win10 boxes for the lab. I installed the 8100 driver on one of them, then once I had the others networked, just told each of them to find a printer on the network. Each of 'em found the first PC right away and from there it was just a matter of clicking the "Yeah, that's the one. Book it, Dan-o" button.

Sweetness. Light.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Sweetness. Light.
Well...that is the complete opposite of my experience with more current HP printers and...that said, I'm glad someone found installing them wasn't too bad...

Perhaps I'm the exception to the HP "it's easy-peasy" rule...'-}}

Terrie
Old 10-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Well...that is the complete opposite of my experience with more current HP printers and...that said, I'm glad someone found installing them wasn't too bad...

Perhaps I'm the exception to the HP "it's easy-peasy" rule...'-}}

Terrie
I've run into others that were total brats. You may be exceptional but you're not alone.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: You may be exceptional but you're not alone.
LOL!!! '-}}

I'm wondering if the diff in installation experiences is due to stand-alone printer vs. AIO???

Terrie
Old 10-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I know you favor Brother I have had good luck with HP
I used to favor HP above all but that opinion was sorely tested when I had my first Win7 system custom built and discovered the crappy HP drivers. My good opinion was further tested most recently when a few months ago my sister bought a new HP AIO (can't remember the model number) without giving me any heads up and then expected me to install it for her--I was more than a bit pissed. The install on that thing was just a major pain in the ass because HP has made thing way more complicated than they needed to under the guise of making it easier.

The funny thing about all of this is that within weeks my sister had sold the HP to one of her clients (basically, she got back what she'd paid for the printer) and finally listened to me about trying a dedicated document scanner--I'd been trying this for years and years and she resisted for years and years. I was able to find an not too expensive (under $250-ish) Brother ADS2200 scanner and my sister loves it, gushing all the time about how wonderful it is (I have mightly resisted the urge to say I told you so...'-}})--the reason my sister bought the HP AIO was because her cute small footprint Brother AIO (getting long in the tooth at 8 or so years old) wasn't feeding the paper properly when she used the document feeder.

The above stated, the 8025 looks fairly reasonable--I have heard very bad things enrolling in HP's ink replacement plan ("Save on ink and get it automatically delivered to your door") so don't fall for it. Before you buy the 8025, I'd suggest taking a look at the documentation:

1. Setup Guide - note that HP no longer provides a CD/DVD with drivers and documentation which means that you will have to download drivers during installation via 123.hp.com --all the better to gather info on their users. See the link to the 8025 drivers page below.

2. User Guide - be aware of the following (page 29): "By default, if the printer is connected to a network and Web Services has been enabled, the printer
automatically checks for updates" which is of course, another opportunity for HP to spy on their users and...these "updates" have been known to totally farkle a printer so be sure to set updates to OFF.

3. Manuals link -- links to all the 8025 documentation

If you do buy the 8025, I'd suggest downloading the drivers before doing the install: Drivers link

Terrie
Old 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Terrie. Much appreciated.