DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default Some people believe anything!

An Australian artist created a condition, then invented a drug to treat it and an ad campaign promoting the drug — and it is all being taken seriously.

Alan posted a couple of the ads and links on Snarkish; if you are swept away, you can follow the links to the whole thing.

I am still shaking my head.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,823
Default

That ad is very well done, but there are a few red flags there. Maybe there is some sort of Mercury Theatre award for this.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,026
Default

We used to entertain ourselves while traveling by looking up odd-sounding town names on the map. A friend went a step further and invented an odd railroad to connect them (The Ersatz & Moot Point Railway Company). A railroad company needs a headquarters and a headquarters needs a location so he invented Grindle, IN. A town's nothing w/o people, so he invented them. Wrote a play about them and arranged to have himself hired to produce a "phauxtodocumentary" about the place. It's now been exhibited three or four times.

People initially tend to doubt his word, but then they start to notice E&MP fleet vehicles here and there. I drive one, in fact, complete with peel-off magnetic signage. ;-)

Oh, and there's a director movie of the docs (EXE only, I'm afraid) here:

http://steverindsberg.com/mootpoint.exe

With friends like this, who needs weirdness?

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
We used to entertain ourselves while traveling by looking up odd-sounding town names on the map. A friend went a step further and invented an odd railroad to connect them (The Ersatz & Moot Point Railway Company). A railroad company needs a headquarters and a headquarters needs a location so he invented Grindle, IN. A town's nothing w/o people, so he invented them. Wrote a play about them and arranged to have himself hired to produce a "phauxtodocumentary" about the place. It's now been exhibited three or four times.
[ . . . ]
With friends like this, who needs weirdness?
Dunno, but three cheers for weirdness. (I love the Ersatz & Moot Point Railway Company!)

Jack’s cousin and some friends invented a summer camp for those who didn’t go to them: Camp Faquaduck (and this was in the 1950s, mind you). Produced several issues of a newsletter, too. Went on for years.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
People initially tend to doubt his word, but then they start to notice E&MP fleet vehicles here and there. I drive one, in fact, complete with peel-off magnetic signage. ;-)
Viva Lake Wobegon!

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Franca
Staff
 
Franca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
An Australian artist created a condition, then invented a drug to treat it and an ad campaign promoting the drug — and it is all being taken seriously.
Unbelievable ... I understand folks not picking up on "Havidol" because that really does sound like a drug name, but I wonder how the gullible ones think "avafynetyme" is pronounced? I love it ... tablets and suppositories.

   
__________________
..
..Franca

..
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff
 
LoisWakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uplyme, Devon, England
Posts: 1,402
Default

You might enjoy the Meaning of Liff then!

My favourite from there is "Dobwalls: The now hard-boiled bits of nastiness which have to be prised off crockery by hand after it has been through a dishwasher".

You can find more here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/liff/di...7594089699971/
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
LoisWakeman
Staff
 
LoisWakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Uplyme, Devon, England
Posts: 1,402
Default

LOL. Did you ever get 'Brass Eye' in the States? Chris Morris did lots of spoof documentaries - including a hilarious one where he got various VIPs to campaign against a fictitious narcotic called "Cake".
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Unbelievable ... I understand folks not picking up on "Havidol" because that really does sound like a drug name, but I wonder how the gullible ones think "avafynetyme" is pronounced? I love it ... tablets and suppositories.
Really!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,026
Default

I *do* hope he's still got copies of the newsletter still. I'd love to see that one!

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sport people play PeterArnel The Corner Pub 19 06-03-2006 09:21 PM
good Palm apps for publishing people? ElyseC General Publishing Topics 22 04-30-2005 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.