DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 07-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Image search engines

I imagine you are all aware of Google Image search. People who want to see if/where their photo is being used by others can do a search here. For some reason this kind of search is called "reverse search" even though there is nothing more reverse about it than typing a phrase and looking for matches.

The way Google searches is pretty nit-picky. If there is a slight alteration to your photo (such as a site logo being added) Google will most likely give it a pass. But Google is not the only game in town.

1. Tineye can find photos even if a logo has been added or other small changes have been made. And, of course, this assumes your photo has already been scanned by its Internet crawler.

2. Bing is weird. I'm never sure what it is doing. It seems blend different search methods into "one size fits all." Sometimes it does face recognition nd finds the same person in different photos and also gives me information about that person. Other times it comes up with similar color moods and patterns. I'm not sure if I've ever matched the actual photo. Maybe I don't remember. And although what it does is unpredictable, it can be very useful when its goals and mine coincide. I wish there was a why I could control this and specify face only or photo only. It already has a way to specify pattern match, and even pattern match in part of a photo.

3.Pimeyes does only face recognition, and the free version is not very rewarding. I briefly joined to see how well it works and its face matching was impressive. The times it found no match I could not tell if it was a weakness in detection or the fact that it seems to only be hitting a relatively small number of sites.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

One more thing. Because I touched on face recognition I should add that Google has a way to tell your word search that it should look for a face. You do this by adding &imgtype=face to the end of the url that resulted from the search. And there are other specific things it can do, but I have not been motivated to sort this out.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Tineye sounds pretty nifty...I may have to play with that...I've never done anything with facial recognition--never had the need. I can't imagine using Bing for anything...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Tineye sounds pretty nifty...I may have to play with that...I've never done anything with facial recognition--never had the need. I can't imagine using Bing for anything...'-}}

Terrie
Translations from Japanese into English.

It's hard to find more hilarity for free.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Please explain?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I have quite a few friends and acquaintances in Japan who post on Facebook in Japanese (the GALL of them!). When Facebook sees one of these non-English posts, it adds a "Translate" link, which coughs up a Bing-generated English translation of the post.

For some reason I can't begin to explain, not even by reading the original text of the post, for a while it was obsessed with breasts. Or more specifically "BOOBS!" which appeared in a LOT of the (alleged) translations. Some of its other attempts are almost equally hoot-worthy.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Bing-generated English translation of the post.
Ahhhh...gotcha!

>> Or more specifically "BOOBS!" which appeared in a LOT of the (alleged) translations. Some of its other attempts are almost equally hoot-worthy.

ROFL!!! '-}}

I've more commonly seen Chinese to English translations (Chinglish) which are oftentimes quite hilariously headscratching--I think Chinese (vs. Japanese) is a more flowery (circumspect? diplomatic?) language which is what I think leads to the odd translations...

Terrie
Old 08-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I think Chinese (vs. Japanese) is a more flowery (circumspect? diplomatic?) language which is what I think leads to the odd translations...

Hmm. That might depend on which Japanese we're comparing with. Japanese has several levels of respect language. We tend to learn relatively polite Japanese here, at least at first. It won't get you into too much trouble, but can make men sound a bit effeminate when talking with other men. But going up the respect scale, it can get pretty long-winded; if you meet a high-level official or the like, you have to allow considerably more translation time than for, say, someone at your own level at a another company. Among men of equal status, a few words, a few grunts can be enough to get simple messages across.

Chinese may well be entirely different, of course.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: if you meet a high-level official or the like, you have to allow considerably more translation time than for, say, someone at your own level at a another company.
Yes...that had slipped my mind...I think Chinese is similar in that respect to Japanese.

That said, for some reason, if have found Chinglish to be odder in a generally funny way than Japlish and perhaps its because of a higher aesthetic approach by the Japanese than by the Chinese???

Terrie
Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Translations from Japanese into English.
I was all set for some hilarity but, at least with tineye, there was little to no hilarity at all so...

I'm with Andrew...

What are you talking about...'-}}

Terrie