DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Daudio

Default Reasons not to Flash

I talked to a fellow the other day about some brass mocomotive business and then checked out his web site. I thought it was well organized, good looking, and got down to business. BUT, to get there I had to pass a Flash animation. There was a bypass link, and I only bothered to watch it to see how bad it was (not too bad), and to tell him that it was a waste of time and money.

Then I realized that I have long ago internalized the idea that 'Flash is BAD', and I can't remember exactly why...

The site is: http://www.brasstrains.com/

So can anyone give me good reasoning to argue that Flash animations aren't a good idea on a business web site ?

TIA

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
So can anyone give me good reasoning to argue that Flash animations aren't a good idea on a business web site ?
It is an extra step (in this case). It subjects one to music of the host’s selection (whether I like it or not). And it is slow.

Otherwise, no problem. Except that I have skedaddled! <g>

Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
daudio: 'Flash is BAD', and I can't remember exactly why...
because 99.99999% of the time it's useless and annoying and in his case...LOUD!

I can't remember the url but the other day I ran across a site where the entire site used flash--you couldn't go anywhere on the site that didn't have some sort of flash crap. The one thing I do remember was that it was an advertising/media site and I thought it was sooo annoying that no one would ever want to do business with the company. I'm sure they thought they were being clever and leading-edge...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I can't remember the url but the other day I ran across a site where the entire site used flash--you couldn't go anywhere on the site that didn't have some sort of flash crap.
I am looking for a wrist watch and one of the sites I went to used Flash for everything. It was tedious and annoying, and after about three go-rounds (I know — what took me so long?), I just left.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: I just left.
That's what I do...one of the worst sites for this is for Crumpler photobags--they make really nice but very expensive bags and they have to have the worst site I've ever seen...between the animations, flash and music it's just gawdawful...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Richard Waller

The brass trains site is an entrance tunnel, but yes it does have a bypass ENTER. On a commercial site you have to get it up fast - less than seven seconds I think they quoted to me. And should present the Unique Selling Proposition as the first thing they see.

Flash is fiune to demonstrate how the product works, but apart from that text is key - with a few .jpg pictures of course.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
.between the animations, flash and music it's just gawdawful...'-}}
Well, I have to admit that I generally don't wait for Flash animations to load if I can help it -- if I've Googled the site and there's no Flash bypass button I go back to Google and select the next site on the list.

And since I prefer MY choice of music, I immediately leave any site that uses sound (unless they're selling music CDs).

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Flash is bad. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
Then I realized that I have long ago internalized the idea that 'Flash is BAD', and I can't remember exactly why...

The site is: http://www.brasstrains.com/

So can anyone give me good reasoning to argue that Flash animations aren't a good idea on a business web site?
Some people have their browsers set to never do Flash animations. I have Firefox and Opera set that way, but I switch to MS Internet Explorer if I really want to see a Flash presentation. This particular site has a bypass, which is good, and the Flash presentation is well done. I have sound turned off, so the music doesn't annoy me. Maybe I am an old fuddy-duddy, but then, maybe brass train enthusiasts are, too.

If this were a site for a rock band, or a modern dance theater, then the Flash presentation is a reasonable idea. However, a bypass is needed. The Pennsylvania Ballet had a web site where Flash was essential to ordering tickets. That was a bad idea, and they have given up on that bad idea.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote