DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I just had a narrow scrape -- and nearly lost a domain I've had for a very long time. All's well, domain alive again, but I want to tell the story.
Wow!

I understand the worry. Just last month on 16 April my email started acting a little funky, but nothing weird enough to make me really concerned — I received some and had no problem sending out. Then just five days later — on a Saturday, of course — email that I knew was to arrive didn't and I was under a very tight press deadline. I never use webmail unless I'm clearing out my spam folder, but I thought I'd go look there in case what I was expecting got trapped by Spam Assassin. Nope and in fact there were just two spam message since four days previous and I usually get 50-60 per day. !!

Immediately went to my web site to see if anything looked odd there and got not my site, but some weird generic page welcoming me with strange pictures of unknown people and links to some dictionary, thesaurus, "real estate" and other goofy crud!

Got hold of my current and previous hosting companies and they both checked and confirmed my domain had expired! I'd received no notice at all and neither had my old host, although they did have one for another domain I'd registered when with them. They were as baffled as I was. Got it fixed pronto, though, when they jumped on line and renewed the domain for me, then confirmed that my site was once again displaying properly for them. Took about ten more minutes for the change to show up here, but email started working again within a couple of minutes.

They suggested I switch all three of my domains (two parked) to GoDaddy and that's what I'm about to do. I'm glad to hear another vote of confidence for them. The domains had been registered (through my old host) originally through Bulk Register, which I guess got bought out last year by something called ENOM. Apparently my renewal notices fell through the cracks in that transition.

Oh, and I did make deadline, but boy was it stressfull for a while that Saturday! I do not want to go through that again!!