DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
FlipSide

Default convert bitmap text to vector

Hi guys,

I have several logos that were created some years ago. I have the originals at hand in large jpeg files (1k x 1.5k pixels). I've tried to get a decent result in illustrator CS2 but I'm not getting the edges precise enough.

is there another program that is well suited to this kind of task?

thanks in advance
FlipSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
I have several logos that were created some years ago. I have the originals at hand in large jpeg files (1k x 1.5k pixels). I've tried to get a decent result in illustrator CS2 but I'm not getting the edges precise enough.

Are you trying to auto-trace? If so, you will need to tweak the results considerably to get accurate results. It may be frustrating — I almost always find it saves time in the long run if I trace by hand, placing each element on a separate layer. If you are not a whiz at Béziers at first, you will progress, and should find the process becomes pretty quick.

But if you want to try first with auto-tracing, Illustrator CS2’s Live Trace function is pretty good. You will need to learn how to control it. This article by Conrad Chavez has the basics. And you can find out more from the Illustrator Help files (look under New Features for Live Trace).

If you want to look into alternative approaches Robin Good has a resource page on bitmap-to-vector conversions. (It is a few years old but the basics should still be helpful — including a few tutorials, lists of available programs, and other good tips.)

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Phil at gr8

Hi Folks!

CorelDRAW X3 has a "new, improved" trace function. I know nothing about Illustrator, so can't make a comparison. I know in older versions of CorelDRAW I found "Trace" pretty much a waste of time, but X3 has got me interested. If you don't have CorelDRAW, then post one of your jpegs (probably need to downsample" it) and I'll see how CorelDRAW copes.

Good luck!

Phil
Phil at gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
jvecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
Hi guys,

Try Autotrace. It is free and it is also available online. With some outages though.

http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/

I used that with excellent succes.

Also, Autotrace is built in Inkscape latest versions. Same results!

Free as well.

http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/

I am interested to learn whether it also beats pro software as it did in my case. I had a try in CS2, no good results - same as you had. More expensive does not always mean you get what you paid for nowadays.

It all depends on the size of your wallet though. And your pride and guts. It sure take guts to say you are not happy with CS2 as it is the top notch in the game.

Try yourselves though. I am a poor and simple amateur in DTP matters. My opinion does not count for much , and I do not care much too. I am happy and that is more important.

Enjoy it!

My Blog and more
jvecht is offline   Reply With Quote