DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 06-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.
Default Convert Quark QXD to Windows?

A friend has asked me to help him create an advert from a long time ago, where the agency who created it is no longer in business. He has the files, and the main one is in QXD format.

Does anyone know of a utility or site that can convert the file from QXD? I'd prefer MS Publisher, but a graphics format would be acceptable, especially something like TIFF or eps.

(If this is in the wrong folder, please feel free to move it!) ...thanks!
mksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksf
A friend has asked me to help him create an advert from a long time ago, where the agency who created it is no longer in business. He has the files, and the main one is in QXD format.

Does anyone know of a utility or site that can convert the file from QXD? I'd prefer MS Publisher, but a graphics format would be acceptable, especially something like TIFF or eps.

(If this is in the wrong folder, please feel free to move it!) ...thanks!
"VM!" Howdy doody! Woohoo, it's good to see ya!

No, nothing to convert to Publisher, but the QXD format could be converted to EPS, then that rasterized in Photoshop to TIF (if you don't care about it being editable) or opened in Illustrator and edited. It can also be exported as a PDF, from whence could be imported into Photoshop or Illustrator. Depending on what's in the original, it might not convert perfectly or be perfectly editable as an EPS.

Is the file in Mac or PC XPress format? Does your friend have all the fonts needed to open the file? If you like, I could try opening it for you and see what it's about, then converting it (if straightforward enough and I have the fonts) to EPS or whatever and see what happens. Give me an email shout if you want me to try.

Welcome!

Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Is the file in Mac or PC XPress format? Does your friend have all the fonts needed to open the file? If you like, I could try opening it for you and see what it's about, then converting it (if straightforward enough and I have the fonts) to EPS or whatever and see what happens. Give me an email shout if you want me to try.
Hi, eec! I've actually been lurking around here for quite a while, but with responsibility in several other online areas, I don't post very often. :-(

My friend does NOT have the fonts. If I send it to you, along with a PDF of what the printed result looks like, could you try opening it to see what output options you have? I will have to do some work on it anyway (such as update the contact information), so if the text is missing, it's NBD.

I'm not sure I have a current direct email address for you. If you send it to me via the "send email link" in the forum, I'll send you the file and we can see what magic you can produce. :-) ...thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Okydoky, check mail in a few. :-)

Old 06-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Stephen Owades

What do you mean by "a PDF of what the printed result looks like"? If you have a good PDF, i.e. one that was created from Quark and that has embedded fonts, you may have all you need. Illustrator can open and edit such a PDF, and Photoshop can convert it to an image format like TIF. Acrobat can export it as an EPS, if that's useful. You may not need to go back to the Quark document at all.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
mksf

The "PDF of what the printed result" literally is a PDF of a scan of the printed result. It's not the result of "Save As..." or "Export To..." in Quark, unfortunately.

Elyse took a look at the Quark file, and it requires the supporting TIFF and EPS files that were used to create it. I've sent them to her, and she's going to see what she can create from them.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
donmcc

You know, I wonder just how complex this ad is. Sometimes we will spend hours trying to chase down an electronic version of a file, and convert it, so that we can spend two minutes to make changes.

But in some cases we can recreate the entire ad in a half hour. Sure, 30 minutes is more than 2, but if we add in an hour trying to do a conversion, then it is 62 minutes instead of 30.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
mksf

Actually, that's what I'm trying to determine... can I get it converted easily, or should I do it over again? It has a complex graphic that is composed of three other graphics, and it looks like recreating that won't be trivial.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksf
Actually, that's what I'm trying to determine... can I get it converted easily, or should I do it over again? It has a complex graphic that is composed of three other graphics, and it looks like recreating that won't be trivial.
You're talking about the logo, right? If so, how about we try recreating just that as a single piece of art instead of building in XPress via layered picture boxes, and you recreate the ad from scratch using the newly composited logo? It would take you down to dealing with only two images, then adding the text back in.

With a list of which font is used for which text, that'd also make it a little easier to recreate on your setup, I imagine.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
mksf

That would be great! If I just had two graphics to handle, it would be pretty easy, regardless of the program I'm using. ...thanks!