DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
iamback

Default Pace - and much, much more!

Wondering how pace (not the English word) should be pronounced, I stumbled onto this page. Oh my.

And just the site for langophiles so I just had to point you to it! Don't go there unless you have some time to read - you have been warned!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Hmm - definitely a good bookmark for a wet afternoon!

I go for "pa che" myself...
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Wondering how pace (not the English word) should be pronounced, I stumbled onto this page. Oh my.

And just the site for langophiles so I just had to point you to it! Don't go there unless you have some time to read - you have been warned!
You’ve scared me, so I will just dart in, bookmark it, but avert my eyes. I can waste time with the best of them, but need not to right now.

But as for pace, the Italians say PA-chay. At least the ones who run the restaurant of that name, some of them Italians from Italy, say it that way.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post

By the way, did you notice the thread “Quinion on language” that I started yesterday?

Another wonderful time sink.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
By the way, did you notice the thread “Quinion on language” that I started yesterday?

Another wonderful time sink.
That's why I've managed to ignore it so far - I don't have much time to sink!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

Quote:
That is no surprise: I know of five different pronunciations of Latin: the only one I don't 'know' (but know of it) is the traditional English public-school pronunciation, since I learned Latin from a young schoolmistress that taught the latest modern pronunciation of pace (pah-ke). Catholics in England use the Italian pronunciation, since the education of Catholic priests in England (and Scotland) was forbidden for a long time.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

"PAY-see"!!!! Ugh!!

Maybe it's because my mother is Cuban, as I child I lived in Rome, Italy and I took Latin but given the appropriate context, there is no way I would ever have pronounced "pace" as the above...'-}}

I'm with Lois and KT...'-}}

However...I will admit to having entirely missed the correct pronunciation of "quay" until I participated in a marathon reading of Joyce's Ulysses in college where I was summarily corrected by an English professor...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Quote:
"PAY-see"! Ugh!
Your distaste for what we are told is the traditional English pronunciation of Latin is obvious, but at least you must admit that it preserves the quantity of the vowels, so that Latin verse remains unchanged; you can't rightly claim that any modern pronunciation of the consonants is 'right', since it's a long time since Latin was the educated man's lingua franca in Europe.

Incidentally, quay has always been pronounced 'key' in English and old French; it's the French that confused the spelling.