DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 02-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default When to convert to CMYK

I forget. When is the best time to convert an RGB photo to CMYK? Before you make any adjustments, or just before running the Unsharp mask, or at the very end?

Old 02-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I forget. When is the best time to convert an RGB photo to CMYK? Before you make any adjustments, or just before running the Unsharp mask, or at the very end?
I convert RGB to LAB, then convert the LAB to CMYK, but maybe there's a better way, dunno. I try to do the conversion last, because in the days of slower computers (so don't know if it's relevant now) it was faster to work on an RGB file than a CMYK.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
I convert RGB to LAB, then convert the LAB to CMYK, but maybe there's a better way, dunno. I try to do the conversion last, because in the days of slower computers (so don't know if it's relevant now) it was faster to work on an RGB file than a CMYK.
Thanks. That gives me the confidence to leave them in RGB for the moment, and see what others have to say.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Thanks. That gives me the confidence to leave them in RGB for the moment, and see what others have to say.
I have no idea what's "best" but I find it easier to work in RGB and convert at the last minute. (Not that I do much color work.)

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:08 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I have no idea what's "best" but I find it easier to work in RGB and convert at the last minute. (Not that I do much color work.)
Thanks. That makes sense to me. I've done sporadic colour work over the years, including a couple of books where the colour photos were exquisitely produced exactly to the specifications of the press, but suddenly find myself with a regular 24–28 page bimonthly newsletter with ads coming in from lots of small businesses. One or two are CMYK Acrobat files as specified, but lots have to be made up, some with digital camera photos supplied on CD. Not to mention the ubiquitous Word files in RGB sent as 'camera ready' with no printed copy to accompany them.

Oh, and the current issue includes at least three business cards with staples through the logos. A record for me — I usually only manage one of those per project. It seems the project manager has taken a short cut to get the artwork ready in time by grabbing business cards off a notice board. One of the perils of working for a community organisation.

It's an interesting publication and I'm enjoying the work, so I'll just have to deal with it. <g>

Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
Mike Wickham

Quote:
I use PhotoKit Sharpener (great plugin!) on my images, and it works only in RGB. So I convert to CMYK after resizing and sharpening.

Mike
Mike Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wickham
I use PhotoKit Sharpener (great plugin!) on my images, and it works only in RGB. So I convert to CMYK after resizing and sharpening.

Mike
Interesting. Do you have a URL for PhotoKit Sharpener?

Ann

Old 02-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
Mike Wickham

Ann,

Here's the link for PhotoKit Sharpener. A great plugin! http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/

Mike
Mike Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wickham
Ann,

Here's the link for PhotoKit Sharpener. A great plugin! http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/

Mike
Thanks,Mike. I'm downloading Bruce Fraser's workflow PDF as I write this.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

According to Real World Photoshop 5.5, "don't change color spaces unless or until you have to, and do as much of your correction as possible in the image's original color space."

So I do all my fussing with images in RGB (since that's what I almost always get), and convert to CMYK last. I haven't been able to find a straight answer as to whether I should run USM before or after the conversion, though.

FWIW, I usually run USM after converting to CMYK.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote