PDA

View Full Version : Full Point

PeterArnel
08-04-2005, 01:43 PM
So do people here still call full stops , full points - or do u call them something else
Peter

annc
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
So do people here still call full stops , full points - or do u call them something elseI call them full stops. Except for URLs and e-mail addresses, of course.

Michael Rowley
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Peter:

It all depends on whether you prefer Cary's Mind the Stop or Partridge's You Have a Point There. The people from our former American colonies call them periods still, and the BBC always calls them dots.

ktinkel
08-04-2005, 05:57 PM
So do people here still call full stops , full points - or do u call them something elseMichael seems to have the full story.

We always call them periods (or did — now some people call everything a dot!). I always liked full stop myself. Seemed nice and strong, but it wouldn’t do here.

Michael Rowley
08-05-2005, 07:51 AM
KT:

Hart's Rules (of blessed memory!) referred to all punctuation marks as 'points', so I always assumed that was the preferred term in English printing circles, but the term 'full stop' is the one that would be most intelligible to English people—the Scots usage is unknown to me. But everyone would recognize 'period' too, and possibly by now prefers it.

PeterArnel
08-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I thought Periods were something women of a certain age had
Peter

Michael Rowley
08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Peter:

So do people here still call full stops , full points

My line is that printers call them full points, and normal people call them full stops; that is, unless a layman says 'full point', then the printer will correct him.

ktinkel
08-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I thought Periods were something women of a certain age hadWell, more likely something women of une certain age do not have any longer!

But we don’t often get into that sort of discussion at the printer’s! :-)

donmcc
08-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, if a period is a full stop, what do you call a comma? A slow down?

<grin>

Michael Rowley
08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Don:

what do you call a comma?

A comma; but in some parts, I'm told, they call them 'eh? places'—in Canada, for instance.

donmcc
08-05-2005, 04:25 PM
No, the eh in Canada would be more likely a term for the spacebar character, eh?

(how can you blame us, half the letters in the country's name are "eh".)

Don McCahill

Michael Rowley
08-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Don:

half the letters in the country's name are "eh"

Yes, I know: my youngest daughter lives in Toronto. Possibly it's one of the things she had to learn before being accepted for Canadian citizenship.

PeterArnel
08-06-2005, 10:41 AM
ah - when u are in Customer Services u can always tell :-)

Its time for Tin hat and cricket boxes and finf somewhere to hid