PDA

View Full Version : How to measure your wrist size (bracelet shopping)

Andrew B.
09-07-2019, 10:26 AM
That's what I've been trying to figure out. And I found a website that explains this (https://www.onecklace.com/tips/how-to-measure-your-wrist-for-the-right-bracelet-size/). And now i've come realize that my right wrist is half an inch larger than my left. Possibly because my watch is interfering with whatever is happening on my left wrist.

Anyway, I have been shopping for a turquoise bracelet. Nothing to report. I sorted through the prospects so fast I probably won't be posting a bunch of candidates.

So why even post about this. Well, because it was either this or review a new Photoshop plugin. And right now measuring my wrist is far more fascinating <bg>.

Steve Rindsberg
09-07-2019, 11:13 AM
And I'm told you have the prettiest ankles west of the Rockies, Andrew.

Andrew B.
09-07-2019, 11:22 AM
And I'm told you have the prettiest ankles west of the Rockies, Andrew.

Aw, shucks. <blush>

terrie
09-07-2019, 12:28 PM
andrew: Well, because it was either this or review a new Photoshop plugin. And right now measuring my wrist is far more fascinating <bg>. LOL!!!

I've been doing some playing in Photoshop--first time in a long while--creating images for two customize Sandra Boynton books, "Moo, Baa, La La La". Normally, people use photographs but, since I don't have any photos of the new be-bes (2 recent births in 2 of my nephews' families), I used their names. I've not seen the books as I had them sent directly to their respective be-bes but apparently at least one is a bit hit with the parents...'-}}

Sooo...what is the new Photoshop plugin?

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-08-2019, 07:52 AM
I thought talking about my wrist freed me from mentioning the plugin. Oh well.

I actually never tried it. It got an alert from the company that a new plugin is out. But I didn't have Photoshop installed a the time. Now I do.

Anyway, the plugin is Redfield Elementary. It's a simplifier, and I usually want to check those out. The sample page has a lot of cheesy examples that remind of some of the cheesy stuff I've done.<g> But what caught my eye is the one with the orange, purple and white flowers. It might be a good starting place to do more. And for a designer this might be an interesting tool.

http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterElementary.htm

terrie
09-08-2019, 11:43 AM
andrew: I thought talking about my wrist freed me from mentioning the plugin. Oh well.LOL!!! Sorry...'-}}

>>what caught my eye is the one with the orange, purple and white flowers.

That one's not too bad but I agree with you about the others...'-}}

Thanks for the link...

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Okay, I downloaded it. I must admit my motivation to test these things is just not there anymore. Also, I picked a bad photo for testing. I used to have a folder of photos just for testing plugins and techniques. No more. I might try again later with a better photo.

One interesting thing, though. The brightness slider moves on two axis. Up, down, left, and right. I assume the up and down is to affect highlights versus shadows.

terrie
09-09-2019, 12:13 PM
andrew: The brightness slider moves on two axis. Up, down, left, and right.Interesting...while I have a few Photoshop plugins, I never really used them much other than Extensis Photoframe which I used to play with the edges of my Painter work--I always brought my final Painter file back into Photoshop for tweaking, finishing and printing. I've always thought the plugins looked cool but the ones I was attracted to were pricey and made do without them.

Getting back to bracelets, it's hard to find turquoise that's not been stabilized. I like Tibetan turquoise as you can find it in all sorts of (natural) colors--not dyed, not stablized. Where have you been looking?

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
I've been looking on Etsy, and the truth is I'll settle for glass beads that are turquoise color. This all started when I saw a turquoise bracelet on Carbon2Cobalt (https://www.carbon2cobalt.com/Womens-Mesa-Turquoise-Wrap-Bracelet-388015?quantity=1&color=232). I looked on Etsy and bought this Kingman bracelet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/260971668/kingman-turquoise-bracelet-turquoise?), which I have not received yet. I'm also looking at other ones, with the idea of wearing more than one.

terrie
09-10-2019, 12:10 PM
I like that Mesa Turquoise Wrap one and the Kingman one is nice too...I think wearing more than one is a great idea...

Keep us posted...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-12-2019, 07:12 PM
The Kingman arrived. Looks good in person, but a tad diminutive on my wrist. But then again I wanted it to not be big impact. Maybe it could use a wrist mate. Took me five minutes to put. Hard for me to get the ends in the same place at the same time. I don't think it's too small though. I can easily slide my index finger between my wrist and bracelet.

I'm looking at others but most don't satisfy my hippie soul. I don't want something too slick, even if it looks good.

terrie
09-13-2019, 12:50 PM
andrew: I don't think it's too small though. I can easily slide my index finger between my wrist and bracelet. That sounds about right and it sounds like maybe you need to do a deeper drive into Etsy--either that or, see if there are any of the larger craft fairs out your way as they often have very cool stuff...and also jewelry shows might be worth a browse...

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-13-2019, 05:47 PM
That sounds about right and it sounds like maybe you need to do a deeper drive into Etsy

I have a bookmark folder with 20 more possibilities from Etsy. And on the Etsy website, i'm only on page 44 of of the 250 pages that come up when I search on turquoise bracelet. If I disappear for a week, send out the St Bernard.

Steve Rindsberg
09-14-2019, 08:08 AM
St. B ... check.
What's your favorite brandy, or have you gone all East Coast on us and switched to bourbon?

Andrew B.
09-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Well, out in California we have some apricot brandy drinkers. But for medicinal situations my choice would be Wild Turkey 101 bourbon. <g>

terrie
09-14-2019, 11:02 AM
andrew: If I disappear for a week, send out the St Bernard. ROFL!!! It would probably take me months to get through all those pages!

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
09-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Well, out in California we have some apricot brandy drinkers. But for medicinal situations my choice would be Wild Turkey 101 bourbon. <g>
A very effective medicament indeed.

A departed friend, a true Kentucky gentleman and devout bourbon fancier, put me onto Kentucky Walker. Apparently it's the extra stock that one of the famous distilleries side-brands so as not to oversupply the market with "the real thing".

Very nice, and at <$10/bottle, a most affordable medicine.

Andrew B.
09-15-2019, 08:58 AM
ROFL!!! It would probably take me months to get through all those pages!

I'm on page 190 now. It doesn't take a lot of time for me because anything that is all turquoise doesn't interest me, so those sail by pretty quickly.

Anyway, after 190 pages I have yet to find one I like better than the Kingman. And interestingly, most of them look classier than the Kingman. And the Kingman design is starting to look a bit naive. But, the colors are there, and they are placed in a way that soothes me.

One more thing. The word "Kingman" was in the bracelet description because the turquoise is from the Kingman turquoise mine in Arizona.

terrie
09-15-2019, 12:23 PM
andrew: And the Kingman design is starting to look a bit naive. But, the colors are there, and they are placed in a way that soothes me. I think it has a classic look to it with the way the colors are combined and I can well understand its appeal...

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Now that I've looked at so many of these, I'm surprised at how few designs some of these shops have. And I think I could come up with some pretty good designs that I don't see anyone doing.

Of course, I would want a graphic program that would probably be called Beadmaster, where I could visualize first. And then I would not even have to bother making the bracelets.

Steve Rindsberg
09-16-2019, 06:18 AM
LOL! I can't tell you how many programs I've thought out and designed in my head and on paper and then, satisfied, dropped.

Andrew B.
09-16-2019, 07:35 AM
I was just staring at the bracelet and I realized why I'm so drawn to the color. The shade of turquoise color is amazing. And then placing it between red jasper, instead of red coral, makes it stand out more.

Andrew B.
09-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Getting back to bracelets, it's hard to find turquoise that's not been stabilized. I like Tibetan turquoise as you can find it in all sorts of (natural) colors--not dyed, not stabilized. Where have you been looking?

Now you got me hooked. I had to go out and research this. But I limited myself to one article (https://www.garlandsjewelry.com/blogs/news/what-is-the-difference-between-stabilized-and-natural-turquoise).

edit: okay, maybe one more. Examples of color dye (http://www.theturquoisechick.com/examples.htm)s.

terrie
09-16-2019, 12:28 PM
andrew: And then I would not even have to bother making the bracelets. LOL!!! I love it! A fully virtual approach...'-}}

That first article on turquoise you linked to was interesting, particularly the shot of the different types of American turquoise. I had no idea American turquoise was so varied and beautiful--I think because Tibetan turquoise is the only stuff I've seen with some variation.

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-16-2019, 04:05 PM
These are not candidates, but they did catch my attention

Simple design (https://www.etsy.com/listing/598354826/mens-bracelet-turquoise-bracelet)
Surf's up (https://www.etsy.com/listing/628508325/mens-braceletmens-beaded-bracelet-surfer)
$150 (https://www.lazarosoho.com/native-american-heishi-style-bracelet.html)
I wonder what those orange beads are made of (https://www.etsy.com/listing/680234440/coral-turquoise-jasper-tiger-eye)

terrie
09-17-2019, 03:22 PM
I don't care for the 1st one ("simple design"). I very much like the 2nd ("surf's up") and the last one--I'm pretty sure the orange is coral. The $150 one is ok but I think it may be priced too high for the extremely simple (boring) design.

If you want to drive yourself to distraction while drooling over cool stuff, see if you can find if any of your local PBS stations carry "Beads, Baubles and Jewels" or if you can watch episodes online. The stuff they show is lovely and I'm thinking you could get the name of the makers they showcase because my guess is that most, if not all, have their own webpages.

Well...duh!!! It has it's own website (https://www.beadsbaublesandjewels.com/) and it might be worth browsing around...

My car passed VA state inspection!!! YAY!!! I only needed new windshield wipers and I had the shop do an oil change and the total was under $100--last year was pricey at near $1000...

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-17-2019, 09:07 PM
I very much like the 2nd ("surf's up")

I've looked more closely at her site and she has some very nice necklaces for men. And then I followed links to similar stuff and other shops, and found more necklaces I liked. All made with coconut beads. I would have worn this look when I was younger.

If you want to drive yourself to distraction while drooling over cool stuff, see if you can find if any of your local PBS stations carry "Beads. Baubles and Jewels"

Thanks. I followed your link. Looks interesting.

BTW, you might be interested to take a look at this Dolph Lundgren bracelet (https://www.nialaya.com/collections/celebrities/products/dolph-lundgren?). I don't have words to describe it.

My car passed VA state inspection!!! YAY!!! I only needed new windshield wipers and I had the shop do an oil change and the total was under $100--last year was pricey at near $1000...

That's great! I know the feeling.

terrie
09-18-2019, 12:32 PM
andrew: I don't have words to describe it.Me either...I think I draw the line at "Black CZ Diamonds"...cubic zirconium...more than a bit tacky...'-}}

>>That's great! I know the feeling.

Yeah...I was pleased. It's so nice to have a good mechanic shop!

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Me either...I think I draw the line at "Black CZ Diamonds"

I didn't notice that. And it's interesting because Cubic Zirconium does not even qualify as a man-made diamond. A man-made diamond is a real diamond, even though some people think this is cheating. A Cubic Zirconium is a different substance.

terrie
09-19-2019, 12:19 PM
andrew: A Cubic Zirconium is a different substance. Yes...the embodiment of tacky...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-22-2019, 07:41 PM
I saw another interesting description. It said "turquoise chrysocolla." According to the dictionary, "turquoise" can also mean a color that is greenish blue. And so technically they are correct.

Anyway, I've stopped looking. I only got to page 209 out of 250. And none more appealing that what I have now. But,

This dainty (https://www.etsy.com/listing/669816096/turquoise-bracelet-blue-bracelet-green)one would interest me if the beads were not so small.

I can't decide if I like this one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/671497633/). Sort of looks a tad too too.

The design of the silver beads (https://www.etsy.com/listing/227158008)on this one bothers me.

terrie
09-23-2019, 12:48 PM
andrew: This dainty (https://www.etsy.com/listing/669816096/turquoise-bracelet-blue-bracelet-green)one would interest me if the beads were not so small.Buy 2 and wear them together...it's a nice looking bracelet. I also like the 2nd on you mentioned, particularly the tooled silver bead. I don't like the last one at all--not enough turquoise...

I looked up "chrysocolla" and thefreedictionary.com notes it as "malachite" which I've always thought (not all that frequently, mind you) that "malachite" and "turquoise" were 2 different stones?

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-23-2019, 02:06 PM
I looked up "chrysocolla" and thefreedictionary.com notes it as "malachite" which I've always thought (not all that frequently, mind you) that "malachite" and "turquoise" were 2 different stones?

I have not double-checked, but that dictionary is wrong. Malachite is not chrysocolla. In finished form, it does not look like Chrysocolla. But chrysocolla is easily mistaken for turquoise, even though is is not turquoise.

Edit: I just remembered, the second link I gave you is chrysocolla

terrie
09-24-2019, 12:56 PM
andrew: Malachite is not chrysocolla.Ok...so I went to wikipedia for info on chrysocolla and it states: "Associated minerals are quartz, limonite, azurite, malachite, cuprite, and other secondary copper minerals."

thefreedictionary.com's ref to "malachite" was in ref to the word origin: "[Latin chrȳsocolla, copper carbonate, malachite, from Greek khrūsokolla : khrūso-, chryso- + kolla, glue (from its use in soldering gold ).]"

The wiki page on chrysocolla has an image of it and it's easy to see how it could be mistaken for turquoise. The article also states: "Due to being somewhat more common than turquoise, its wide availability, and vivid, beautiful blue and blue-green colors, chrysocolla has been popular for use as a gemstone for carvings and ornamental use since antiquity."

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

terrie
09-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Yer welcome...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
09-30-2019, 05:36 PM
I have several I cannot decide on but I've figured out a solution. I'm just going to buy all of them.

terrie
10-01-2019, 12:55 PM
andrew: I'm just going to buy all of them. I think that is the PERFECT approach...'-}}

Report back when they arrive...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Well, this is interesting. African Turquoise is not turquoise (http://www.turquoiseguide.com/articles/turquoise-jewelry/imitations/african-turquoise.htm). It is jasper that happens to be of similar color to turquoise.

terrie
10-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the link...interesting...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Buy 2 and wear them together..

I'm not feeling well enough right now to get the links, but I tried the idea of companion bracelets. Not with the dainty one I showed you, but with different ones. If you recall the Kingston bracelet I bought that i said looked diminutive on my wrist, I bought a sibling bracelet for it. Same colors but in different proportions. So now, the two of them together look like a unified design, and not diminutive. And then there is a third bracelet that ended up being darker than the photo and nothing but dark brown. I almost returned it but held onto it in case if worked with other bracelets. Well, it works with the two sibling bracelets as long as is not between them, and the unifying element is metallic spacer beads on all three.

Looks like my "order them all" is paying off and I haven't even ordered all of them yet.

terrie
10-04-2019, 12:29 PM
When you get around to it, take a pic of them on your wrist...they sound fab...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-05-2019, 08:35 PM
I tried taking a photo with my web cam and the color was bad. So now it all depends on what the future holds with visitors and my camera.

Here's a funny thing, though. When I bought it I didn't realize it was a sibling to my other one. The color quality of the photo on the website was bad. And if it were not for my buy-them-all strategy I probably would have ruled it out.

terrie
10-06-2019, 02:45 PM
andrew: So now it all depends on what the future holds with visitors and my camera.I thought about that after I posted...it's tricky trying to take a pic of your own wrist...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-08-2019, 01:27 PM
This one looks great on my wrist. I don't have a suitable companion bracelet, yet.

terrie
10-08-2019, 01:32 PM
I like that!

Are those copper beads or? Whatever they are, they look really nice with the other beads...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-08-2019, 08:22 PM
My guess is they are plated and it will start flaking off. But they look great, and then there is also the fact that copper is what gives blue turquoise its color, so that adds a cool factor.

terrie
10-09-2019, 01:31 PM
andrew: and then there is also the fact that copper is what gives blue turquoise its color, so that adds a cool factor. Hadn't thought of that...I know that copper is more expensive these days but I'll bet that those are real copper beads...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-09-2019, 06:08 PM
What do you think of these copper beads? Are they copper or are they as real as African Turquoise??? https://www.etsy.com/listing/722874597/

terrie
10-10-2019, 01:05 PM
I don't care for the black beads--too many of them. They look ok separating groups of the other stones but having 5 beads each on either side of the closure is too many--it looks like a consistent design approach by this particular maker as the other bracelets shown also use the 5x5 black bead approach.

That said, I like the other stones and the copper...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Funny you should mention that because the black beads along with the macrame connector eliminated if from my buy-all list. In fact, I've discovered I don't like any globe-shaped beads on my wrist. Except maybe for one that has not reached me yet where the globes are only accent beads. I'll have to see.

BTW, I have a feeling I'm close to done. I just have to see the ones that are on the way.

terrie
10-12-2019, 12:47 PM
andrew: I've discovered I don't like any globe-shaped beads on my wrist. I can understand that...if you wear it on your writing hand side, then the globe-shaped beads get in the way and can be uncomforatble as you are writing...

>>BTW, I have a feeling I'm close to done.

Oh yeah...right...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-12-2019, 07:33 PM
>>BTW, I have a feeling I'm close to done.
Oh yeah...right...'-}}

LOL!!!

Andrew B.
10-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Here's a wrist shot!

terrie
10-13-2019, 12:28 PM
FABOO!!! I really like the combination...'-}}

Did you get all of them via Etsy?

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-13-2019, 04:09 PM
I posted this because I think they pulled together a great combination of color and texture, even though some of the bracelets are very large statements. Larger statements than I'm normally drawn to. But it all seems to work. I was shocked when I saw this on a site where the parts are not as great as this whole.

And I admit I was a bit sneaky in the way I presented this.

https://www.nialaya.com/products/men-s-african-jade-beaded-heishi-bracelet

terrie
10-14-2019, 12:33 PM
I still like it! Match all of them...'-}}

I like that one you linked to a lot although it's a bit pricey for something without actual gold. The site itself has a shitload of crosslinks--see the screenshot--which indicates to me they are very commercialized which probably accounts for their higher pricing.

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-14-2019, 02:22 PM
I tried to match them from other sources and got nowhere. Also, one thing that stood out was the classic use of deep green black, and gold. So I tried working that angle too. So far no go. OTOH, I do have a credit card and I could buy from that site.

terrie
10-15-2019, 01:02 PM
andrew: OTOH, I do have a credit card and I could buy from that site. If you can't find something you like elsewhere, then go for it...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-15-2019, 03:41 PM
I would actually consider it were it not for the fact that I'm stuck at home. In my twenties I sometimes went out with a linen suit and panama hat. In my forties I would wear a green tweet jacket and brown fedora. Sometimes I'd go out wearing a leather fedora, which projected so much attitude I was once given a hard time about it. But these days it would feel pointless to got such snazzy bracelets to wear at home. Those bracelets are meant to be shown off.

terrie
10-16-2019, 09:11 AM
I know exactly what you mean...I don't go much of anywhere either...

That said, I think a couple of snazzy bracelets--even worn just at home--would be quite nifty...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-16-2019, 06:18 PM
I'll keep an open mind about it. If I ever get one I'll let you know.

And now, I think there might be the last two I post about. Remember the one you didn't like because of the black beads. Here are three similar ideas with no black beads.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711571425/
https://www.etsy.com/listing/704621120
https://www.etsy.com/listing/700722715

terrie
10-17-2019, 12:43 PM
I like the last one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/700722715) quite a bit...the other 2 are just ok...

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-17-2019, 03:50 PM
I've run out of bracelets to show you. <sigh>

terrie
10-18-2019, 09:00 AM
LOL!!! I'm sure some will pop up again soon...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-18-2019, 09:14 AM
No, the bracelets will soon be long forgotten, just like the bed quilts, just like the flower that wilts, just like a man falling off stilts. Gone until the phoenix of shopping rises again and takes flight, lifting Andrew higher and higher into a frantic shopping angst, where he hangs, until Terrie saves him.

terrie
10-20-2019, 01:44 PM
ROFL!!!

It's so nice to find someone who does the same things I do...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Truth is I'm not quite done with bracelets. I just got one but I cannot get it on. I've contacted the seller. I also stumbled into looking at wall art and I have two possibilities bookmarked. And I'm thinking of getting a different printer. I think the printer should come first, even though it is the least fun.

Andrew B.
10-23-2019, 06:46 PM
This one looks great on my wrist. I don't have a suitable companion bracelet, yet.

Because I will probably never be able to get my wrist photographed, here the two companions for the one above. I've also included the one above to make it easier to see them all. The one with the toggle clasp is actually lighter than the photo, and is worn between the other two. Then the trio is grounded with a dark brown heishi bracelet that sits higher up on my wrist. I'd show a photo of that bracelet but the photo looks nothing like it.

Now, I realize the three look like they don't go together, but as 4mm bands of color/texture they work out well, or at least that's what I keep telling myself. And now I'm really going to have to work harder on getting a photo to prove it.

terrie
10-24-2019, 01:51 PM
andrew: Now, I realize the three look like they don't go together,Au contraire!

I think they'd look wonderful together...I really like all 3 of them...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Au contraire!
I think they'd look wonderful together...I really like all 3 of them...'-}}
Terrie

Thanks for that. :-)

Today I received a bunch of coconut bead (surfer) bracelets from Cyprus. And my "buy all" method really paid off this time because I was able to put together a combo of four that I think look great.

So I've reached the "done" point except I ordered one other bracelet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/731882791/red-creek-jasper-and-sterling-silver). And so that's in the works. Then I will stop because since I started buying my right wrist shrunk 1/4 inch. I'm on a diet and I expect it to shrink at least another quarter. Maybe more. No big deal for clasp bracelets which hang free under the wrist, but a very big deal for stretch style bracelets, which look odd hanging free. I know from experience.

terrie
10-25-2019, 12:46 PM
andrew: Then I will stopOh yeah...sure...sure...sure...'-}}

I like the red creek jasper one!

For the loose stretch style, I wonder if you gathered a couple of beads together and tied them off (heavy duty thread maybe or embroidery threads choosing a nifty color that would be decorative) that would tighten them enough?

Terrie

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-25-2019, 09:34 PM
I watched a youtube lesson on how to make stretch bracelets. So based on that I could cut the bracelet but there would not be enough elastic to grab onto. So I would restring the bracelet with fewer beads, tie with a square knot, and then crazy glue it. I really should start saving these lessons as book marks.

Anyway, I though I would throw more links at you.

I might consider getting this one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/586067248/), but removing the extra bead tassel

I would not get this one, but it's interesting to see a miniature toilet tank float (https://www.etsy.com/listing/669022409) on a bracelet.

Not sure why I like looking at this one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/602398419).

I do know why I like this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/739882125).

terrie
10-26-2019, 11:50 AM
I like the first one a lot even with the little hangy down part...'-}}

The second on is too messy...there are some interesting things on it but, it's too much. I think you like looking at the 3rd one because of the green which is evokes spring and lightness...maybe?

I LOVE all of the variations of the last one...I'd get them all!

Terrie

Andrew B.
10-27-2019, 08:31 AM
I'm focusing on Boho bracelets now and the whole thing has become much more fun. Also interesting is that in the Boho shops I'm finding some bracelets (https://www.etsy.com/listing/714297204)that would not be out of place on the Nialaya (https://www.nialaya.com/)website.

Anyway, I'm going to have to slow down for awhile. The spirit is willing but I'm feeling so weak I have to limit my link posting for awhile.

terrie
10-27-2019, 12:41 PM
andrew: would not be out of place Yes...they have a similar vibe but with etsy but etsy has (significantly) fewer crosslinks compared to the Nialaya site which has a shitload--see the screen shot I included in my 10/14 post...'-}}

I'll be here when you feel up to it...

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Well, after all this time only one more :https://www.etsy.com/listing/516747363/silver-wrap-leather-boho-multi-wrap-tube

I don't think I pull off this look, though. Might look out of place on me.

terrie
11-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Those are sort of interesting...I really like the end pieces a lot.

I don't think the'd look out of place on you at all. It would be interesting to see if the maker would do a shorter version rather than the multi-wrap or...perhaps just a double wrap--vs. what looks like a 4 or 5 wrap?

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-02-2019, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure about it, but if it's in the folder when I start buying again (even though I'm done) it will fall under the "buy all" guideline. But right now all I have in the works it the Red Creek Jasper. If it works well for me I'll have to buy it at least one companion. But even without that I have three sets of bracelets. And the surfer bracelets are winning because they are very easy to put on.

Andrew B.
11-03-2019, 12:14 PM
One more item, but not a bracelet (https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/bungalow-rose-printemps-painting-print-on-wrapped-canvas-bngl5240.html).

terrie
11-03-2019, 01:37 PM
andrew: One more itemI hate wayfair!!!! They are so damned annoying always forcing "prove you aren't a robot" crap!

That said...I sort of like that...it reminds me of buyng marimekko (https://www.marimekko.com/us_en/fabric/all-fabric) sheets with their fab designs and then mounting the sheets on stretcher bars...

>>And the surfer bracelets are winning because they are very easy to put on.

I like things that make life easier...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
11-05-2019, 07:53 AM
I *am* a robot, so that doesn't bother me at all.

But I have to give Wayfair points; a long time ago, we suddenly needed to find a bunk bed for the second bedroom (when we learned that we were getting a two-fer on the homestay deal). Googled and drove all over the place, couldn't find anything even remotely acceptable other than one kinda cheapo metal one. It did the job and even held itself together a few years longer than I'd expected, but finally it had to go.

Found an all-wood one at Wayfair; was a little concerned about the quality/finish of the wood, but when it was delivered (for free, mind you) it was a lovely honey-colored wood in a matte finish. All fifty-godzillion parts of it! Luckily there was no time pressure, so assembly turned into a multi-week project; an hour or so every evening (in a very hot room .. summertime, ya know?). The instrux that came with it were superbly done, so IIRC I didn't make any of my usual "O damn, I put that in backwards and now we have to take it all apart again" mistakes.

So Wayfair's on my Good Guys list. And as it turns out, they're sortaLocal. Just a mile or two from our airport. Why, I could've saved $0 by picking the bed up myself. Minus the cost of gas.

terrie
11-05-2019, 01:19 PM
steve: Just a mile or two from our airport.Well...do me a favor and visit them and ask them why the hell I have to do that google image matching crap every time I visit wayfair.com?! Of course, you could as them more nicely since they are your (almost) neighbor...'-}}

Seriously...why is identifying a "robot" such a pressing matter? I find is so irritating that I don't visit the wayfair website and made a decision to never buy from them because the googleimagecrap was so annoying--I had ordered things from them in the past but not now.

I'm glad to hear that the bed turned out so nicely...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
11-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Do you mean that it hits you with the RoboDeny thing every time you go to the site? I just went and it didn't bug me with it.

Firefox (set to delete cookies and such on shutdown), Windows ...

terrie
11-06-2019, 01:56 PM
steve: Do you mean that it hits you with the RoboDeny thing every time you go to the site?Yes...'-}}

I only keep cookies of very few sites and Wayfair is not one of them so it's not a cookie issue--or a 3rd party cookie issue as I allow those.

A couple of years ago, I was able to get to the actual site but after browsing around for oh...5-10 minutes, the stupid proveyouarenotarobot crap popped up. Didn't visit for a number of months because it pissed me off so much. Then it was like any other site and let me look around with no issues at all and it was around that time that they started the tv ad blitz and because their ads were not closed captioned, I decided they didn't want my busines.

The funny thing is that a month or so ago, they started closed captioning their tv ads and so I decided they were off my nocaptions=nobusinessfromme shit list only to be youarenotarobot challenged every time...

Wayfair does not need my business and I don't need the aggravation...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
11-07-2019, 07:49 AM
So odd ... we're about to have some work done on the house, which took me to wayfair's site again last night. And again, no robochallenges.

Did you kick their dog or something? ;-)

terrie
11-07-2019, 01:39 PM
steve: Did you kick their dog or something? ;-) LOL!!! Apparently I did...'-}}

I do think it's likely that it has something to do with either the Request Policy addon or the uMatrix addon; however, the question is...what is the issue with robots and how is that they are so bad that Wayfair needs to know?

Terrie

Barrie Greed
11-08-2019, 02:28 AM
I do think it's likely that it has something to do with either the Request Policy addon or the uMatrix addon; however, the question is...what is the issue with robots and how is that they are so bad that Wayfair needs to know?

Is this possibly because you don't keep cookies for Wafair? I'm assuming that if you once defeat the robo challenge Wayfairs gives you "this is not a robot" cookie which lets you straight in in future.

Barrie Greed

terrie
11-08-2019, 01:12 PM
barrie: don't keep cookies for Wafair?That very well may be it but, I'm not keeping Wayfair's cookie. If I developed a need to order from Wayfair, I'd probably reconsider keeping their cookie but since I Wayfair is not a place I need, deleting whatever cookie might been set to indicate that I'm not a robot is ok.

I've had to make these sorts of decisions for other sites, like Google which had annoying to me settings which, if I kept a cookie, I could change but I decided that I could live with the annoyance and did not keep Google's cookie(s)--I rarely use Google these days as I use duckduckgo for browser searches.

The question stil remains...what is so important about identifying robots?

Thanks...

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
11-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Reasonable guess, but I think not, Barrie. I set the browsers I use to delete cookies on shutdown, but I can still visit Wayfair's site w/o a robo-challenge.

The mystery deepens.

Steve Rindsberg
11-09-2019, 08:58 AM
>> The question stil remains...what is so important about identifying robots?

Or why do YOU look like a robot to them when I don't? ;-)

Do you sound metallic and occasionally mistype/pronounce words when on the internet?

Do you have a pain in all the diodes down your left side?

Is your login name Marvin?

Or perhaps I, Terrie?

terrie
11-09-2019, 12:55 PM
steve: The mystery deepens. Ohhhh...so it does...

>>Or perhaps I, Terrie?

ROFL!!!

It's obvious to me that you are just a better class of reality than I as far as Wayfair is concerned...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-09-2019, 09:54 PM
How about a worldly bracelet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/726647292/mens-beaded-bracelet-turquoise-jasper)?

Barrie Greed
11-10-2019, 02:40 AM
Steve

Reasonable guess, but I think not, Barrie. I set the browsers I use to delete cookies on shutdown, but I can still visit Wayfair's site w/o a robo-challenge.

The mystery deepens.

I agree. I just tried the same with a pristine installation of Firefox. wayfair.com wanted to redirect me back to wayfair.co.uk but when I insisted let me in to wayfair.com with no challenge. Repeated the exercise with Chromium on a brand new raspberry pi. No challenge.

There must be something different about the request string sent by Terrie's browser which makes Wayfair think she is a robot. But what it is I know not.

Barrie Greed

terrie
11-10-2019, 01:22 PM
andrew: How about a worldly bracelet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/726647292/mens-beaded-bracelet-turquoise-jasper)? I like that...I'd like it better with a wee bit more turquoise, perhaps 2 additional turquoise beads in the middle of the strech of black--remove 1 or2 of the 14 black beads and add 1 or 2 turquoise in the middle of the strech of black beads...

Terrie

terrie
11-10-2019, 01:23 PM
barrie: There must be something different about the request string sent by Terrie's browser which makes Wayfair think she is a robot. But what it is I know not.Maybe I really am a robot and just don't remember...'-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-11-2019, 09:27 AM
I agree with everything you said. The bracelet draws its inspiration from what I call "the ID bracelet school of design."

Steve Rindsberg
11-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Maybe I really am a robot and just don't remember...'-}}

Terrie
There are entire SciFi stories/movies built upon that premise.

So why not?

terrie
11-11-2019, 01:19 PM
andrew: I agree with everything you said. Great minds and all that...'-}}

>>"the ID bracelet school of design."

Perfect description...

Terrie

terrie
11-11-2019, 01:23 PM
steve: There are entire SciFi stories/movies built upon that premise.Outer Limits episode with Robert Culp!!!! "Demon with a Glass Hand"--best episode ever...'-}}

That was the first time I ever saw the Bradbury Building which is such a cool place--Blade Runner also used it...

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-12-2019, 03:07 PM
This thread is getting long. So long I'm going to have to stop shopping. I already have four sets. I completed set four today, by adding a partner to my Red Gulch or Red Buzzard or whatever that bracelet was called. That stone is also called Picasso Jasper, which is much easier to remember. And now it has a partner with similar beads but made out of African Turquoise Jasper.

terrie
11-13-2019, 12:05 PM
andrew: This thread is getting long. So long I'm going to have to stop shopping.LOL!!! Don't stop shopping...just start a new thread...'-}}

They all sound very cool looking...

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-13-2019, 08:34 PM
The last two I got worked out better than I imagined. I bought one at a time and the first one I took off 30 minutes after putting it on. It did nothing for me. But I decided to go ahead and get the partner to see what happened. Worked out great!

And despite what I said I can't stop shopping. There's still one on the way and it might need partners. Or not. It might work with some I already have.

Also, I've come to realize Nialahya (https://www.nialaya.com) has a store, and it's not far from me. Except I can't go because I'm too sick. But if I'm ever able to go, I should probably suspend my buy-all rule.

Steve Rindsberg
11-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Yes, but the PRESSING question ...

Have you worked out how to measure your wrist size????

;-)

terrie
11-14-2019, 02:57 PM
LOL!!!! '-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Well, yes. That was covered in my first post when I shared a link for how to do this. I made that post in case anyone here wanted to measure a wrist. But somehow the topic drifted to bracelets. Might be my fault.

Bo Aakerstrom
11-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Are there any plans to make this the longest thread in the history of the DTP Forum? It must be in the top ten by now!

Steve Rindsberg
11-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Yours, Terrie's, Mine, Bo's ...

And Bo, it may already BE the longest thread in our history.

Andrew B.
11-16-2019, 07:03 PM
And unless I post another link to a bracelet, this might be the thread's end. And I'm out of "maybe" bracelets, although I have a couple interesting ones that I don't want to buy.

But before the thread dies, I'll mention a different issue that I mentioned before but never mentioned how I solved it. And that is how do deal with those pesky lobster clamps. I searched youtube but none of them worked for me, including opening a paper clip, grasping one end with finger of the bracelet hand and hooking the ring of the bracelet with the other end. My hands are too big and so the paper clip is not long enough.

Here's what I did. I got a jumbo paper clip. But it was still pretty awkward and the jumboness of the wire kept getting in the way when I tried hook the ring with the lobster clasp. Soooo, here's what I did.

1. I draped the bracelet over my wrist with the ring end toward me.
2. I opened a small paper clip just enough that I could hang from the ring
3. I attached the jumbo paper clip to the smaller one

The weight of the jumbo clip was enough that it kept the ring end from moving around too much. This made it much easier for the lobster clasp to hook it.

Oh, btw, I got my camera to work by buying Panasonic batteries of the right type. The indicator says the batteries are almost dead, but I have not bothered trying to charge it. But the camera works.

I tried taking photos of my right wrist while holding the camera in my left hand and reaching my finger over the button on the right end of the camera. That's why I don't have photos good enough to post.

Andrew B.
11-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Me again. Even though I don't think the attached photo a good way to represent the way the beads look, here it is. It is not good in that these are 6 mm beads, and on my wrist at normal viewing distance the color detail looks more like a texture. But I think the pattern on the Picasso Jasper (top) is interesting.

I also attached the "before" image to demonstrate a way to bring out a dark photo. I used equalize followed by a routine levels adjustment. Usually this method doesn't work.

BTW, it looks like the focus was on the lower part of the beads. The rest looks out of focus. But I have an excuse. I'm not a photographer.

terrie
11-17-2019, 01:26 PM
andrew: 3. I attached the jumbo paper clip to the smaller oneClever!!

>> I got my camera to work by buying Panasonic batteries of the right type.

Excellent...'-}}

I think the beads are fab looking and the Equalize then Levels did a good job. I don't think I've ever used Equalize...

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
11-18-2019, 10:42 AM
LOL! Congrats on the ingenious solution, on getting the camera working and on beating me to it ... I was going to razz you about not taking pictures of the Battle of the Century with Clasp but you'd already been there, done that. ;-)

Andrew B.
11-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Clever!!
I think the beads are fab looking and the Equalize then Levels did a good job.

And that was the final one. The companion for the Picasso/Red Creek bracelet being shown next to it in the photo.

Now, I know you are going to say "sure, sure sure" to playfully mock my claim that I'm done,, but you will see this time it is true -- right after I get the one that I ordered a few days ago. <hehe>

But after I get that one, and if it measures up, all that will be left is to find a companion for it. Then I'm done. Or maybe it can serve as a companion for one I already have.

terrie
11-18-2019, 02:37 PM
andrew: <hehe> ROFL!!! '-}}

Terrie

Andrew B.
11-18-2019, 09:05 PM
LOL! Congrats on the ingenious solution, on getting the camera working and on beating me to it ... I was going to razz you about not taking pictures of the Battle of the Century with Clasp but you'd already been there, done that. ;-)

:-)

Andrew B.
11-23-2019, 06:16 PM
In our last episode, Andrew discovered that Red Creek Jasper is another name for Picasso Jasper. But now he finds out that is only sort of true.

Red Creek Jasper is from mainland China. It is named for a creek that flows through the area where it was found. It is also called Cherry Creek jasper but what the heck, maybe there is a cherry creek there too, but I doubt it. And it is also called Chinese Picasso Jasper, because its color patterns are like Picasso Jasper. So maybe it qualifies as Picasso Jasper too? It was first discovered in 2010.

Now, here's another wrinkle Some question whether it is really jasper. This might be because I've read articles from before this was figure out. I don't know.

Stay tuned.

terrie
11-24-2019, 01:22 PM
andrew: It was first discovered in 2010.Interesting...nice to know that there are still things remaining to be discovered...'-}}

Terrie