PDA

View Full Version : Grey? or Gray?

PeterArnel
07-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Good
By the way are they your legs in the pic wearing a mini skert :-)
Peter

ElyseC
07-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Good
By the way are they your legs in the pic wearing a mini skert :-)Um, huh? Do you mean my avatar here? Hate to disappoint you (or maybe it'll be a relief ;-)), but that's our mailbox. <g>

PeterArnel
08-02-2005, 12:57 PM
hahaha
It always look like someone wearing grey tights with grey heels
mmmm must be my age
peter
Notice the proper spelling of grey

ElyseC
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
hahaha
It always look like someone wearing grey tights with grey heels
mmmm must be my ageOr maybe you lot don't have that style of rural mailbox. <g>

Notice the proper spelling of greyYou won't get any argument from me. Personally, I've always preferred "grey" to "gray" and long ago decided to put up with everyone here trying to correct me. Just looks better, maybe more elegant with the 'e' as far as I'm concerned. :-)

terrie
08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
>>elysec: Just looks better, maybe more elegant with the 'e' as far as I'm concerned. :-)

I spell it with an "e" too...

Great minds think alike...'-}}

Terrie

ktinkel
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
I spell [grey] with an "e" too... Me, too. Always have, so far as I can remember.

And I discovered that web browsers recognize either gray or grey, so use it in CSS as well.

donmcc
08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Me, too. Always have, so far as I can remember.

And I discovered that web browsers recognize either gray or grey, so use it in CSS as well.

Are you sure that it will work in all browsers? I would be careful, unless it is in the W3 specs using both spellings (and I can't remember).

After all, IE is now claiming to be moving towards W3 standards, and it would be just like them to go totally rigid and work ONLY to standards.

Don McCahill

(Up here our Super Bowl is called the Grey Cup).

ktinkel
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Are you sure that it will work in all browsers? I would be careful, unless it is in the W3 specs using both spellings (and I can't remember).

After all, IE is now claiming to be moving towards W3 standards, and it would be just like them to go totally rigid and work ONLY to standards.So far as I have been able to test. All the British sites use grey, I am pretty sure, and they work.

Of course, the named colors altogether will not be part of future standards, if the W3C is to be believed. So it will become moot. I tend to use grey and silver a lot when setting up a new site, just because it is easy. And sometimes I leave them in.

donmcc
08-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I just checked the HTML 4.01 specs, and Grey is not listed, Gray is. AS you say, naming colours in HTML is deprecated in favour of style sheets, but unless something has changed in CSS 3, you are allowed to use the 16 colours in those as well. And the CSS 2.1 specs specify Gray but not grey.

Not that it is a biggie ... as you say browser makers will probably continue to support grey. I personally don't use the names at all ... I was limited enough by web safe colours, when they were important. I'm not going back to 17 colours. I tend to use rgb(255,255,255) when I want to create a white anyway.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I just checked the HTML 4.01 specs, and Grey is not listed, Gray isTake a look at this list (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/types.html#ColorKeywords) from the W3.0rg (scroll down to “Recognized color keyword names”). Dated 2003, but I do believe it is useful in the real world today. Note the entries after “darkgray,” "gray,” “lightgreen,” “slategray,” etc.

As you say, all names are (or will be) deprecated. But I do not think that browsers will suddenly and uniformly abandon them in a trice.

donmcc
08-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Ah, you tried to fool me. That is a spec for SVG, not HTML.

That particular list is what I refer to as the Netscape named colours. Netscape created this list, the values, and the names in version 2.0 (I think) when they dominated the web. I believe non-standard, even though IE also made them work in their browsers when it came on the market.

I haven't seen this colour list in relation to HTML, XHTML, or CSS.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
08-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Ah, you tried to fool me. That is a spec for SVG, not HTML.I never try, believe me!

I know they (or most of them) originated with Netscape but think they are usually called the MSIE colors now, rightly or wrongly.[/QUOTE]

donmcc
08-06-2005, 10:35 AM
And they are some very nice colours, too. They were one of the things that shoved me away from web safe colours sooner than most.

Don

Franca
08-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Me, too. Always have, so far as I can remember.As have I. ;)

ktinkel
08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
As have I. ;)Great (tasteful? <g>) minds, huh?

Franca
08-06-2005, 06:07 PM
<vbg>