PDA

View Full Version : Mike's postcards

Hugh Wyn Griffith
07-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Mike,

I was looking through the postcards on your site with much enjoyment. Two of them -- #79 #80 -- have a ? against them. Perhaps you know this but I'm sure they are Bruce Bairnsfather cards from the WW-I. One of his most famous was entitled "If you know a better 'ole"

http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/bruce_bairnsfather.html

is one site that came up when I googled.

#45 is a wonderful example of how much we have progressed backwards since those days! She writes: "If you are not here this afternoon ..... " Those were the days when, in London at least, you could send a PC in the morning inviting someone to dinner and expect to receive a reply by post in the same afternoon!

Sorry you don't have more pictures "Around the house". It looked like a "what a great party that was" event!

Mike
07-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Glad you liked the postcards and thanks for the link. I'll add that to my website next time I'm doing an update.

I had been thinking of putting some photos of the house on the website -- particularly some before-and-after sets -- but wasn't sure that anyone would be interested. Maybe I'll rethink that.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
07-30-2005, 07:05 AM
People are always interesting!

If you google on [Bruce Bairnsfather] you may well find better sites and even something about those two cards.

Mike
07-31-2005, 12:47 AM
I'll also have to take a look through my mother's shoe box to see if there are any more - I've only put about half of her postcard collection onto the website.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
07-31-2005, 09:24 AM
You are lucky to have a collection like that and to actually go through them.

Mike
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately many of them are in rather poor condition because I used to play with them as a child.

Recently I've been browsing eBay for postcards of the valley where we now live. Recently I found a postcard showing our house:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6547643019&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The frontmost building is a barn and the other one is our house.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Looks like you got it!

ElyseC
08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
What a beautiful place and especially so in color, I bet!

Mike
08-01-2005, 11:50 PM
What a beautiful place and especially so in color, I bet!

It certainly is. Once I get the postcard I'll take another photo from the same place to compare them. I'll stick them on a web site so watch this space...well, not exactly 'this' space, but you know what I mean...

ElyseC
08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
It certainly is. Once I get the postcard I'll take another photo from the same place to compare them. I'll stick them on a web site so watch this space...well, not exactly 'this' space, but you know what I mean...Oo! Good! I was hoping you'd do that. Let us know as soon as it goes up.