PDA

View Full Version : FontAgent Pro

lefkoff
07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Hello All,
While I am not new to a few Desktop Publishing Forums out on the net I am a new member to this site. I have enjoyed reading the posts and comments here and look forward to being able to help others when I can. I am an Art Director for an Ad Agency in TN in which we use Macs running Quark and the Adobe Creative Suite primarily.

Enough with the introductions...
Please anyone out there who uses FontAgent Pro I would love to know how well it is working for you. I simply can't stand another day with Font Book. I am curious about;

• How difficult is the intial set-up?
• How quickly does it auto-activate fonts?
• How stable is it?
• How easy is it to use on daily basis

I would appreciate any and all comments on FontAgent Pro. Thanks!

ktinkel
07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Please anyone out there who uses FontAgent Pro I would love to know how well it is working for you.

• How difficult is the intial set-up?
• How quickly does it auto-activate fonts?
• How stable is it?
• How easy is it to use on daily basis

I would appreciate any and all comments on FontAgent Pro. Thanks!We have had a few threads on this; not sure what the consensus is. I have it, have installed and uninstalled it (and ditto with Suitcase XI), but I think the problem is that my fonts are in disarray and trying to use these programs makes that painfully obvious.

And I am still in mourning for ATM Deluxe.

Anyway, in addition to whatever discussion we have here, check out these threads for more information:

Font management: Font Agent Pro (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?postid=3076#poststop)
OS X & Fonts: Grrrr! (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?postid=5170#poststop)

lefkoff
07-27-2005, 11:38 AM
ktinkel,
Thanks for the response. I have seen some of the older threads. They just leave me wondering if it is even worth the hassle or do I just stick with Font Book.

ElyseC
07-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the response. I have seen some of the older threads. They just leave me wondering if it is even worth the hassle or do I just stick with Font Book.Well, before my computer went kerflooey again, I'd bought and begun using FontAgent Pro. Like KT, I miss ATM Deluxe, but FAP was treating me well for the few weeks I got to use it before my hard drive failed (and perhaps the logic board, too...the jury's still out on that).

ktinkel
07-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the response. I have seen some of the older threads. They just leave me wondering if it is even worth the hassle or do I just stick with Font Book.Font Book is inadequate for any but the smallest font collection and the simplest font-using lifestyle (IMHO, of course!)

I do not find either FontAgent or Suitcase particularly difficult to set up, and I think FA has many virtues. The main thing is to have a working set of fonts to feed these programs. My archive (let’s call them “read only”) fonts and working fonts were all mixed up, and since many of the source files are on floppies (which I would have to do heroic things to access), and I have thousands of fonts, so it was/is important to keep things straight.

But if you have a more orderly life — indeed, it is hard to manage one less orderly in this regard than mine — you should not have a problem. Besides, life with Font Book alone (at least for a designer or typesetter) is hell.

I believe you can download a limited-time trial of Font Agent. Have you done that? That should give you a chance to see how it works in your environment.

lefkoff
07-29-2005, 05:52 AM
It would seem that it is FontAgent Pro or nothing. I have already ruled out 2 other font managers. Is there some other product out there that I am missing. Why can't someone do this right? Adobe step up to the plate. Here is a golden opportunity to make even more money.

ElyseC
07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
It would seem that it is FontAgent Pro or nothing. I have already ruled out 2 other font managers. Is there some other product out there that I am missing. Why can't someone do this right? Adobe step up to the plate. Here is a golden opportunity to make even more money.And, if they somehow prefer, it could become part of the CS Suite, the Pro version.

ktinkel
07-29-2005, 08:50 AM
It would seem that it is FontAgent Pro or nothing. I have already ruled out 2 other font managers. Is there some other product out there that I am missing. Why can't someone do this right? Adobe step up to the plate. Here is a golden opportunity to make even more money.Besides Font Agent, there are Suitcase and Font Reserve (both sold by Extensis), and MasterJuggler (http://www.alsoft.com/MasterJuggler/) (Alsoft).

MasterJuggler 3 (current version) does not support auto-activation; the others all do. I haven’t actually looked at the current utility — maybe it is time to take a look. Alsoft is a very reliable Mac developer (DiskWarrior is another of its products), and Juggler was always reliable. Probably still is. The company is celebrating its 20th anniversary; that’s pretty good for a software company!

Adobe evidently decided its font management business wasn’t profitable enough to continue, so it killed off ATM Deluxe, which was my flat-out, all-time favorite font manager. Alas.

Michael Rowley
07-29-2005, 09:10 AM
KT:

so it killed off ATM Deluxe, which was my flat-out, all-time favorite font manager

Don't forget that ATM Deluxe still works in the Windows version, and about 95% of ordinary PC users still prefer Windows to Mac (largely on cost grounds); that quite a few professional typographers prefer Windows too is also a consideration.

But it doesn't support auto-activation is perhaps a pity, but it does its job efficiently and without fuss.

ktinkel
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
ATM Deluxe still works in the Windows version… The person who inquired works on a Mac. Even if it would make sense to switch platforms for a font manager, ATM Deluxe never worked as well in Windows as it did in pre-OS X Macs.

But it doesn't support auto-activation …The Mac version of ATM Deluxe had the slickest auto-activation of its time. If the program were still offered for current Mac models, I would assume it would still be good. But alas it is no more.

Michael Rowley
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
KT:

The Mac version of ATM Deluxe had the slickest auto-activation of its time

Autoactivation is not something I would miss, never having had it. But I should miss the ease and speed of activation and deactivation that ATM Deluxe gives me; other programs seem to do that too, but none that I have seen does it without a great deal of unnecessary display, and I quite appreciate that Mac users should lament its passing (for them).

I'm not at all sure that autoactivation is desirable, though I can see that absent-minded users, who can't remember whether they've activated the fonts they need or not, would find it useful.

Mike
07-29-2005, 12:03 PM
The Mac version of ATM Deluxe had the slickest auto-activation of its time. If the program were still offered for current Mac models, I would assume it would still be good. But alas it is no more.

ATM Deluxe was good but when that disappeared I switched to Suitcase. Initially I had some problems but after a couple of upgrades it now works smoothly. In fact the only time I know it's there is when I want to tell it about some new fonts or when, during auto-activation, it finds a font conflict (usually because I have TT and PS versions of the same font or I have five versions of the same font and it doesn't know which one I want). Auto-activation seems pretty painless and generally I don't even notice that it's happening.

Michael Rowley
07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Mike:

Auto-activation seems pretty painless

Does it return the fonts to their unactivated condition when the program that wants them has finished with them?

Norman Hathaway
07-29-2005, 06:58 PM
i think fontagent pro is definitely the best font manager for osx. ive tried suitcase and 2 others and am happy with fa. auto activation works fine, and i like running diagnostics to weed/repair/delete troublesome fonts.

michelen
08-03-2005, 01:07 AM
We have been using FontAgent Pro for over a year, and overall, we are very pleased with it.

DO NOT TOUCH FONTBOOK WITH A BARGE POLE!!

FontAgent Pro works well and is quite stable. And is less expensive than the alternatives, if that matters. Also, their tech support crew is quite responsive.

Yes, FAP will deactivate auto-activated fonts if you set your preferences that way.

We bought the Workgroup version, which allows us to store all of our font libraries on one workstation (Mine, since I am the Font Nazi [if you will excuse the term]) and it works great. I vet and install all of the fonts on my workstation, then the other members of my workgroup have access. It's neat, relatively painless, and it WORKS.

I still have to slap the hands of designers who find some cool font on the Internet and use it without going through "proper procedures" which are: give me the font, let me vet it, and then install it from my font library.

It's cool, it's relatively cheap, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is even (gasp!) better than ATM!

Regards,
Michele

ktinkel
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
… It is even (gasp!) better than ATM!Hi, Michele — glad you chimed in here (since I think you got a lot of us to look at Font Agent Pro in the first place).

But better than ATM [Deluxe]? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On the other hand, it is no more, so even I have to move on.

Nice to see you again.

Michael Rowley
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Michele:

FontAgent Pro will deactivate auto-activated fonts if you set your preferences that way

That's nice to know. I'm a Windows user, so I can't take advantage of autoactivation just yet, but perhaps Windows Vista might allow it . . . in 2007.

lefkoff
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I have finally broken our tech-guy's willpower and he has purchased a copy of FontAgent Pro for me. Any advice before I install? Anything I should do or not do? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Norman Hathaway
08-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Be a good boy basically.
Have all your fonts placed in a central location.

FA has an excellent feature that allows you to search through your library and find fonts that are missing bitmap files, corrupted fonts, duplicates etc.
So I would run that prior to creating sets etc.

Other than that it's fairly simple.

Just read the documentation and get to grips with how it works.
After that it's smooth sailing.

Good luck

lefkoff
08-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Mac OSX 10.3.8 • FontAgent Pro 3.0

Well its day 2 after the installation of FontAgent Pro. It analyzed my fonts in record time (950 Mb in 2-1/2 Hours) and sorted them in a clear logical order. That alone was worth the price of admission.

So far no problems except for one minor one. On certain web pages Safari displays text as gibberish. I ran Font Finagler and it didn't help. Some pages look fine while others look awful. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start fixing this?