PDA

View Full Version : If that don't beat all!

terrie
05-30-2017, 09:09 PM
A few weeks ago, I discovered that my driver's license expires this year--in October. This evening I was reading an article in The Washington Post Metro section about how Virginia is not in compliance with the (totally and incredibly ridiculous) "Real ID" crap and the article discussed what's involved with the program along with mentioning that one can renew one's driver's license online so I thought I'd try and see if I qualified to renew online and if so, do just do it now.

I won't keep you in suspense. I was able to renew online which is nice because really, who wants to go to the DMV office?

What's interesting about all of this is that I discovered that what I've always thought was my middle name is actually my first name and what I thought was my first name is my middle name according to my birth certificate. In the normal course of events in what would be considered normal world this would not be a big deal although I do find it sort of disconcerting because I don't think of myself as a "Susan"--a rather boring, if more easily pronounced name than the first name I've always used.

But! Given how totally screwed up and complicated this whole ID thing is, I find myself a bit concerned by this new information. While I have looked at my birth certificate any number of times, I never actually noticed the name order before and the only reason I did this time is that in the process of fiddling around renewing my driver's license, there was this "Legal Presence" or the lack thereof notation in my DMV information.

I decided to do the process and that's when I discovered the name issue. I have absolutely no idea if this is going to cause a problem in the future and I'm not quite sure whether I will do anything (can do anything) about it.

One thing I do know is that my name is not "Susan"!!!

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
05-31-2017, 05:23 AM
>> One thing I do know is that my name is not "Susan"!!!

And I get the feeling that anyone who starts calling you that is in for a slapdown. ;-)

terrie
05-31-2017, 11:42 AM
ROFL!!! Damned straight! '-}}

I reread the copy of the receipt for the "legal presence" and found that basically, all the process does is to look for a match based on the info one has provided and if it finds a match, the "legal presence" switch is tripped to a confirmation. From what I can gather no information other than a match was found is generated or sent anywhere so I don't need to be concerned about the fact that every official document in my life--passports, drivers' license, SSA, my mortgage, the deed to my condo, etc.--has my name order out of whack.

I find the entire concept along with the evasively slimy terminology of "legal presence" very distasteful.

Terrie

annc
05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I don't think you'e a Susan, Terrie.

One of the pluses of having no middle name is that nobody can do that to me. The only thing they can do to me is add an 'e' to my first name, which most people do, even when they type it immediately below the correct spelling. And some people even try to add one to my last nameā€¦

Steve Rindsberg
06-01-2017, 06:38 AM
One of the items on my Big Stack o' Stuff To Read a Little at a Time is a book about Harry Truman. Harry S Truman, to be exact, because his middle name *was* "S". It stood for nothing but itself.

While this isn't an everyday, everybody knows it fact, it's no great secret, and I figured that certainly someone writing a sort of biography of the man would know it. Yet on the cover and in every mention of Truman's full name, there it was: A *period* after the "S"!! Horrors!!!

A few pages on, though, the author explained that while Truman's middle name was "S", the man himself often added a dot, probably because he was tired of being corrected for having left it off.

Why just the "S"? ISTR that the family couldn't decide whether to give him a middle name honoring someone on the mother's or father's side, and finding no full names in common, decided on the solo "S", which was shared by several names on either side.

If the people of the Amazonian rainforests had anthropologists, they'd have a field day with us.

terrie
06-01-2017, 11:45 AM
ann: Yeah, I don't think you'e a Susan, Terrie.So glad you agree...'-}}

>>The only thing they can do to me is add an 'e' to my first name

They try to add an "a"' to the end of the formal spelling of my (not so real) first name because that's the way they think "most" people spell it and of course they also mispronounce it but...I answer to just about anything...'-}}

Terrie

terrie
06-01-2017, 11:46 AM
steve: give him a middle name honoring someone on the mother's or father's side, and finding no full names in common, decided on the solo "S", which was shared by several names on either side. I think that's pretty cool of them...'-}}

Terrie

annc
06-01-2017, 03:42 PM
One of the items on my Big Stack o' Stuff To Read a Little at a Time is a book about Harry Truman. Harry S Truman, to be exact, because his middle name *was* "S". It stood for nothing but itself.

While this isn't an everyday, everybody knows it fact, it's no great secret, and I figured that certainly someone writing a sort of biography of the man would know it. Yet on the cover and in every mention of Truman's full name, there it was: A *period* after the "S"!! Horrors!!!

A few pages on, though, the author explained that while Truman's middle name was "S", the man himself often added a dot, probably because he was tired of being corrected for having left it off.

Why just the "S"? ISTR that the family couldn't decide whether to give him a middle name honoring someone on the mother's or father's side, and finding no full names in common, decided on the solo "S", which was shared by several names on either side.

If the people of the Amazonian rainforests had anthropologists, they'd have a field day with us.Steve, you're a source of the most amazing little gems!

Steve Rindsberg
06-02-2017, 06:07 AM
"Barnacles" is what one of my friends calls 'em. They take up mindspace I could use for other more useful bits of information, yet can't be dislodged.

terrie
06-02-2017, 11:46 AM
LOL! I like that...barnacles...very apt...'-}}

Terrie