PDA

View Full Version : What's This Font?

JABTE05
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
I can't figure out what font the attached uses. I went to that "What's The Font" site, but it didn't come back with anything similar. Can anyone figure it out?

marlene
07-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I think I've got it -- they mixed Balmoral caps with Amazone l/c letters.

Amazone's a Bitstream font, IIRC it's available elsewhere with a different name (the Bitstream was probably a knockoff).

mxh

JABTE05
07-15-2005, 05:41 AM
I think I've got it -- they mixed Balmoral caps with Amazone l/c letters.

Amazone's a Bitstream font, IIRC it's available elsewhere with a different name (the Bitstream was probably a knockoff).

mxh
Yeah I think you're right. Actually, I had a card of theirs that I was looking at, and they even added another font on the card, which I thought looked a little weird. Thanks.

ktinkel
07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Amazone's a Bitstream font, IIRC it's available elsewhere with a different name (the Bitstream was probably a knockoff).Amazone is the original Amsterdam foundry name. It’s not very old (first released in 1959), and designed by Leonard H.D. Smit (according to Jaspert, Berry type enclopedia).

I think it is what they call a “ribbon” script. I’m pretty sure it is a common choice in wedding invitation catalogs, not sure by what name. It has pretty good links between the lowercase characters — more plausible looking than a lot of scripts I’ve seen. Maybe that’s why they chose it for the specimen shown in this thread.

marlene
07-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Why, that font is younger than we are! <g>

I've used Amazone (IIRC I had it on the Varityper -- if I weren't so lazy I'd go downstairs and dig out my Varityper font book) -- it does connect very well -- but I was never crazy about its caps. But I don't think I ever tried to pair it with another script's caps.

My version of Balmoral is a bad Image Club rendition -- I've used those scrolly caps, but don't recall ever using the lower-case letters, which I am not crazy about (maybe because it's a bad Image Club font).

I do love a good connecting script. A current favorite is P22's Corinthia, a thing of beauty. I ALMOST got to use it on a job -- a presentation folder -- and then the client decided to add their organization's acronym. <g>

mxh

ktinkel
07-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Why, that font is younger than we are! <g>Most of the fonts in use today are younger than we are! (Sobering thought for the day.)

I do love a good connecting script. A current favorite is P22's Corinthia, a thing of beauty. I ALMOST got to use it on a job -- a presentation folder -- and then the client decided to add their organization's acronym. <g>Groan! Shoulda run the acronym in Arial Black as a background image — huge, screened back to about 10% — with the pretty script running across it!