PDA

View Full Version : You know what I miss about paper?

curveto
03-29-2015, 02:29 PM
(curmudgeon alert)

You know what I miss about paper?

With paper you can't *hide* things...

It seems more and more the latest generations of software development folks (be that web or real) think it's just fine to hide stuff. ...as a "cop out" way to keep their needlessly complex user experiences from becoming overwhelming (better answer ---> work HARDER on making your ux not suck to begin with).

Example...

I brought up Yosemite today (for the first time ... long story as to why) and jumped into Safari and it insisted on hiding the menu bar by default (i.e., going full screen). While it only took me 20 minutes of aggravation to figure out how to make it stop (doing that) it was 20 minutes of my life that I WANT BACK (thank you very much)! There was no "Full Screen" (or Not Full Screen) menu option, there was no Window behavior Preference, there was no System Preference. There was NOTHING related to this SUPER annoying "feature" (except solve my pet puzzle and maybe we'll give you a cookie, human). A google search and a deep read of some user conversation clued me into to holding Option when I clicked on the (green) Maximize button. WTF?!?

Why do the kids these days want me to solve their pet puzzle just to open the (proverbial) refrigerator door?

You can't hide things with paper...

terrie
03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
curveto: work HARDER on making your ux not suck to begin withOh YES!!!! I don't have any experience with OS/X but I have experienced the same sort of ()#$!!!! frustration on the pc side. It drives me absolutely NUTSO!

It so nice that someone else agrees with me...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
03-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Win8 all over again. Gotta have a second computer so you can google how to make this one work. And fwiw, the UX for minimizing an app is just as opaque (assuming you use a mouse, which they seem to assume you don't).

Hugh Wyn Griffith
03-30-2015, 04:17 PM
You know what I miss about paper?

With paper you can't *hide* things...

You don't need to hide them; just lose them ..... have them slide into the WPB or a rarely accessed folder in the bottom drawer of the file cabinet ....

curveto
04-03-2015, 03:51 PM
You don't need to hide them; just lose them ..... have them slide into the WPB or a rarely accessed folder in the bottom drawer of the file cabinet ....

That's makes me ponder the following thought (that my friends will recall from the days of old)...

*modeless* paper (e.g., receipts) vs. *modal* paper (e.g., taxes)

Paper you cannot find vs. paper you wish would just go away...

<just then jr's head explodes/>

terrie
04-04-2015, 01:24 PM
curveto: Paper you cannot find vs. paper you wish would just go away...LOL!!! Know it well... '-}}

Terrie

BobRoosth
04-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Ditto for iTunes. Hide everything. Do you remember when Apple changed the direction the scroll wheel moves things, or started hiding the vertical scroll bar? or, for that matter, started making one hard press the track pad instead of simply tapping? All can be changed, but they changed these things between os releases.

Type-O-Positive
05-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I found things a whole lot easier since I discovered that a PC Mouse works perfectly with a Mac. Including 'Right Click'.
(Sorry. Going slightly off topic)

Steve Rindsberg
05-04-2015, 12:07 PM
And for those horrible days when you don't have a PC mouse handy,

Control + Click = RightClick

You probably knew that.
But just in case, there ya go.

curveto
05-04-2015, 05:06 PM
I found things a whole lot easier since I discovered that a PC Mouse works perfectly with a Mac. Including 'Right Click'.
(Sorry. Going slightly off topic)

Why do I feel an odd urge to play rock, paper, scissors?

Type-O-Positive
05-06-2015, 02:30 AM
And for those horrible days when you don't have a PC mouse handy,

Control + Click = RightClick

You probably knew that.
But just in case, there ya go.

Merely an 'Update'. Not a 'Cmd Prompt'

Steve Rindsberg
05-06-2015, 07:05 AM
It seems that only old-timers even know what a command prompt IS nowadays.

I opened one and started doing something in front of one of our students, resulting in total open-mouthed awe.

"Are you ... chatting? With the COMPUTER???"

No. I'm COMMANDING it to do my bidding. I am its master. It must obey me.

Oh, and if you like command prompts, the Mac one puts the Windows one to shame. I swear, if they'd had OSX when I started out down this silicon-paved road, I'd have gone Mac and never looked back.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
05-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I swear, if they'd had OSX when I started out down this silicon-paved road, I'd have gone Mac and never looked back.

My Thinkpad TP701C back in 1996 came with both Windows 3 and OS/X preinstalled ... I offloaded OS/X onto a large number of floppies using the built-in utility since I only had 350MB on the hard drive!

Bo Aakerstrom
05-06-2015, 01:02 PM
You should have tried Linux...
I started out with DOS and using the terminal on my Ubuntu machine brings it all back.

Not even the auto complete on my phone knows what DOS is and wants to change it to Doritos. Except when I want to write Doritos, then it changes that to dietitian.

One day I'll just won't correct anything and leave people to try to find out what I tried to write for them selves!

terrie
05-06-2015, 01:17 PM
steve: No. I'm COMMANDING it to do my bidding. I am its master. It must obey me.ROFL!!! '-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
05-07-2015, 07:35 AM
OS/2 I expect, rather than OSX, which only runs on Macs and didn't come out until considerably later.

I had to install OS/2 at one point; IIRC, I was doing some work in Freelance for one of the IBM divisions. That's what they used, so that's what I used. This was before we had virtual machines and other such wonders, but I'd worked out that I could attach a couple of SCSI drives to the PC, all of them bootable. Power down the PC, turn ON the drive I wanted to boot from, turn OFF the others and fire up the PC. Voila. Multi-boot!

Steve Rindsberg
05-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Silly phone. DOS. Denial Of Service. Tsk.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
05-07-2015, 10:15 AM
I may yet .... and on my Thinkpad T20 which I bought the day it was released! Crazy to think I paid $4000 for that one! I had some money back then 8:(

Hugh Wyn Griffith
05-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Ooops - Yes OS/2 it was.

Bo Aakerstrom
05-07-2015, 12:28 PM
You can pick one of those up for quite a bit less on Ebay these days. About $45. Just rubbing it in!

I would go for something more lightweight than Ubuntu on one of those. Porteus might work well.

Steve Rindsberg
05-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Oh, yes ... the money laptops used to cost was frightening.

One of my clients used to bundle up portable workstations for salespeople; insurance, real estate and the like. They'd put a laptop + Diconix printer into a nice attache case. At one point, I had a good dozen of these rigs in the studio for photography, all laid out on the counter. I forget what brands they were, though I remember one of them being a Grid ... that WAY expensive ExecuToy of the time.

Over the weekend, a thief broke into the place and stole every camera and lens I owned, but completely ignored the computers. A Mac dude, I suppose. These were all DOS computers.

Bo Aakerstrom
05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
My Fujitsu Lifebook was a fair bit less at the equivalent of $2500. Wouldn't pay that kind of money for a laptop these days though. It's gathering dust with some other semi antique stuff sitting next to my printer.
A 35mm camera and a Super 8 film camera. If I now could dig out my cassette recorder from wherever that's hiding I'd have the functionality of my smartphone - minus the phone obviously, for under five grand. But I'd need bigger pockets though...

Hugh Wyn Griffith
05-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I saw them in the local CompUSA store a few years ago at $99 off-lease!

My Thinkpads were upgrades from my Toshiba 1200XE with its racing 12 MHz 80C286 processor and a 20MB hard disk drive. It also had 1MB of RAM expandable to 5MB.

By the time I added a couple of MB of RAM and convert to US$ I probably paid about as much as for the T20 -- what really rocked me was later adding a 10in HP colour monitor!

What a difference from the blueish laptop screen!