PDA

View Full Version : It's Franca's birthday!

annc
07-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Happy birthday, infant! <g>

Hope you get to have a lovely ride with Seven to celebrate.

ktinkel
07-09-2005, 05:43 AM
Yeah — happy birthday. Hope you have a really good day of celebrating.

Susie
07-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Happy birthday and many happy returns from me, the cats and dog!

Mike
07-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Hope you had a good one!

Franca
07-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Thank you all! It was a mixed birthday. Went on a benefit trail ride with four other women. I only found out about it the night before last but still managed to collect $170 in donations and sponsorships - not too bad on shot notice. 63 people registered and the event raised around $5000. Sounds like a lot of people but there were four routes of different lengths and we were one of the last groups to start. So amazingly we didn't encounter all that many other people once we were out on the trail.

We had a beautiful day and the scenery was lovely. On the way up the trail we had three or four different views of the Pacific Ocean which was deep blue with white caps today. The first half of the ride went really well. The second half I think Seven was bothered by the saddle. We climbed some pretty steep hills on the way up and the saddle slipped back a bit. Only a very little bit but enough make the clearance between the pommel and her withers insufficient. So I led her most of the way back. She was very good being led until we were almost back to the trailer. The last little bit was paved road and a truck drove by and spooked her. I think she tried really hard not to step on me but in the end she stomped the toe of my boot and ground it while trying to turn and get out of my space. Yeeeowwww. It really hurt but I was able to wiggle all my toes. Something felt odd as I was gimping around, though.

I untacked and packed up the car and then I had the bright idea to go soak my foot in the creek. So I pulled off my boot - the sock that started the day as blue and white was red. Well, at that point I decided the foot was going into the creek sock and all because no way was I going to look at my toe. Fortunately one nice woman brought me a water bottle and Aleve and two other nice women got a first aid kit, removed my sock, applied neosporin, and bandaged up my toe for me. Lost the nail. I knew that before they took my sock off - that's what felt so odd when I was walking.

I think the half hour or so my foot spent in the creek made a big difference, though. The toe mostly quit throbbing and really didn't hurt much when I wasn't moving it.

Anyhow, I was not going to let a little thing like a crushed toe deprive me of my birthday dinner out with my husband, so I cleaned myself up as best I could, dressed up, put a slipper on the right foot, and off we went. Very nice restaurant - tasty clam chowder, perfect Filet Mignon, yummy Cabernet, and of course there was chocolate involved for dessert. Mostly a very nice day, really - I just wish the unfortunate part wasn't still with me ... not sure how long this thing is going to take to heal. It had started bleeding again by the time we got back from dinner. Sigh. I iced it and took Advil. I think I'll have to sleep with it on top of the covers which may make sleep a bit difficult. But then again, maybe not; I'm so tired from all the exercise and getting up at 6 am. Me? Up at 6 am?? On my birthday??? Hardly seems possible. Tomorrow I think I'll sleep till noon, LOL.

annc
07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm so tired from all the exercise and getting up at 6 am. Me? Up at 6 am?? On my birthday??? Hardly seems possible. Tomorrow I think I'll sleep till noon, LOL.At least this will be one of the birthdays you remember, Franca!

I'm so glad the dinner was a success. ;-)

terrie
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
A belated happy birthday!!! (my pc was sick and in the shop...)

Sorry about your toe...hope it's much better by now...

Terrie

Franca
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Terrie! Toe is still very tender and I can't even think about putting a shoe on that foot yet. I'm supposed to ride in a four-day clinic this weekend and am bummed because I'm not sure I'll be able to. I'm thinking of sacrificing my oldest pair of Ariat paddock boots by cutting a hole in the top of the toe. I'll be taking Seven to the clinic regardless, though - somebody will ride her if I can't. She'll get the experience and watching will be better than nothing at all. Still ... if I can even ride a little bit that would be great. We'll see....

Anne Wright
07-19-2005, 08:13 AM
A belated Happy Birthday!

I hope the toe is healing so you can ride in the clinic.
Anne

Franca
07-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Anne, and a belated Happy Birthday to you, too! :)

terrie
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
>>franca: I'm thinking of sacrificing my oldest pair of Ariat paddock boots by cutting a hole in the top of the toe.

Sounds like a plan! Hope it works...

Terrie

Franca
07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
So the hole in the boot idea worked - my husband "customized" the boot by making a big hole over my toe and then putting duct tape over that to keep dirt out. My poor toe was still pretty vulnerable, but I was able to ride, yay! I had lots of help with feeding, cleaning, grooming, tacking up, and getting from here to there so that I could save my foot for the actual classes and not risk reinjuring it doing other stuff. Thanks to my friends I had a great time and Seven did really, really well. It was completely exhausting but well worth it!

My toe is feeling a bit less tender every day. I think I'll be able to wear my regular boots in another day or so. This is a good thing because I'm leaving for another horsey thing on Sunday! I'm doing a 5-day partnership program with a friend. It's at the same place where I do the weeklong horsemanship camps, but this is a much more intensive course - just two of us and our horses working with the trainer. I'm really looking forward to it. It will be hot there but the arena is covered and we'll probably save the trail rides for late in the day - my favorite time to ride anyway. Trails up there are gorgeous.