PDA

View Full Version : MinneAPolis!

ktinkel
07-03-2005, 04:06 PM
… a favorite of my father, who died June 15.Very sorry for you loss, deB. It never is easy, no matter how old we (or they) are.

(I'll buy the book too - do yourself a favor and make it a Strunkish "little book," so it's finished while this kid's still in single digits!)I really am working on a book. This has been a hard year — many medical problems and a lot of pain. (Just last week I discovered I do not have colon cancer, nor bladder cancer; working on how to cure the sciatica that bedevils me, but since it is not life-threatening, I am content.)

I used to teach jewelry to kids, 9 to 15 years old, and I learned to admire the mental ability of 8, 9, and 10-year-olds. I decided they have all the intelligence ever — without most of the distractions (hormones, especially); so, yes, I would write a book of use to them.

[Still out here in the Twin Cities,
where summer is gorgeous
but it's very very far away
from family and friends back east,
which hurts at the moment!]I do empathize. Our close friends who were transferred to Minneapolis used to call it Minni-No-Place. On the other hand, then they were sent to Atlanta, and they cannot even figure out what to call that! <g>

Very nice to see you here. Let’s see if we can engage your young friend.

deB
07-03-2005, 05:20 PM
(Sysop: feel free to break this off and put it in the pub where it belongs)

Minneapolis ... [they] used to call it Minni-No-Place.

Well, sure, someone from the NY megaplexaloposaurus would miss the daily murder and wouldn't comprehend the ability to get to ANYwhere within an hour, and usually within 30 minutes... airport, rural areas, rivers, sailing, golf... there's just too damn much PLEASURE here for a Gothamite. <wg>

Seriously, the only major problem (and it is major, for me) is that there's no quick easy way to get anywhere else. When I left Boston I had no idea how much of a big deal it is. I was accustomed to $39 Southwest flights to Baltimore, to visit family, and recently it's been a real problem that the cheapest flights there from MSP are 4x-6x more expensive.

The way we describe it is that the nearest low-cost airport is Midway, 6.5 hours ' drive from here; in comparison, there are 20 major airports within that distance from BOS. (Not to mention the fact that in 6.5 hours' drive from BOS, I'd already be within an hour of BWI.)

On the other hand, people do get stunned when they hear that the Mall of America could hold 88 football fields and it contains 280 escalators. The former Metropolitan Stadium baseball field is inside the center court of the mall.

But more importantly, immediately upon arrival in Mpls, I was pleasantly surprised to find a VERY wide selection of really decent small, independent coffee shops and local chains - something I know is important to you.

If your pains let you visit here, I'll take you around. (Then you can take me around Paris, next time.)

deB