PDA

View Full Version : Return of the moleskine

ktinkel
06-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I used to buy wonderful little notebooks, casebound with stitched non-acid paper between hard covers, and fastened by means of an elastic band. I could throw them into my handbag without having the pages bent or torn, and always have something to write in.

At some point, perhaps a decade ago, they disappeared from all the stores that used to have them. I still have a couple of the old ones, kind of beat-up, but usually avoid actually writing in them because then there would be none.

The last two I found have plain textured cardboard covers and came from Urban Outfitters, but they no longer seem to carry them. And they are kind of mediocre, anyway (the elastic has long since stopped being elastic, for one thing). Another old one has leather-covered hard covers; but its elastic has also failed.

Well …

A week ago I found a U.S. online source for these gems: ShipTheWeb.com (http://www.shiptheweb.com/epages/ShipTheWeb.filereader?42c2d082001d2130273f4200c14f 0623+EN/catalogs/2845). I ordered a few, and they arrived today, and they are every bit as wonderful as they ever were. In fact, the ones I used to get were probably knockoffs of this one, called moleskine — so marked by embossing on the back cover.

They not only offer the small format I used to get (roughly 3.5 X 5.5 inches) but a larger size (5 X 8), which is available bound book-style or at the top (like a steno pad). So I got two of those and one of the small; and they sent me a free diary (since the year is half over, I guess; still quite nice).

The books have a pocket inside the back cover; in the larger format, it expands a bit. In the diary, they tuck a removable address booklet in the pocket. The paper can be blank, ruled, or gridded; I chose grids for all. It is very nice paper.

BTW — I also have an online source for those wonderful French pads (the orange ones with flip-over covers), if anyone is interested.

JohnC
06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
I've only heard of moleskin notebooks in the past couple of years, but they are EVERYWHERE around Seattle. Almost every little card/magazine/gift/stationery store has them. But I never noticed them until they were pointed out to me. Now I run into people who say they've been using them for years.

ktinkel
06-29-2005, 10:35 AM
I've only heard of moleskin notebooks in the past couple of years, but they are EVERYWHERE around Seattle. Almost every little card/magazine/gift/stationery store has them. But I never noticed them until they were pointed out to me. Now I run into people who say they've been using them for years.Leave it to Seattle — when it decided to become cool, it went all the way! <g> That is not the sort of thing it was famed for when I was a kid, I can tell you that! (More like the Triple-X Barrel rootbeer stand! Or the Aqua Follies at Green Lake!)

Mine are not all the authentic brand, but I’ve also used them for decades. I always had one in my bag — they are perfect for that.

terrie
06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
These look really nifty...I love gridded paper...

Terrie

ktinkel
06-30-2005, 05:44 AM
These look really nifty...I love gridded paper...They are nifty — good word. I also like the ones with plain paper, as it has a wonderful surface. But I usually buy grids.

terrie
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
>>kt: I also like the ones with plain paper, as it has a wonderful surface. But I usually buy grids.

Does the gridded paper have the same surface as the plain?

Terrie

ktinkel
06-30-2005, 11:18 AM
>>kt: I also like the ones with plain paper, as it has a wonderful surface. But I usually buy grids.

Does the gridded paper have the same surface as the plain?I believe so — didn’t mean to confuse you. It’s just that I like the paper and rarely find such a nice surface in small drawing tablets.

Norman Hathaway
07-16-2005, 03:20 PM
can we get back to the triple-x root beer please?

ktinkel
07-16-2005, 04:31 PM
can we get back to the triple-x root beer please?I’d love to. But I don’t actually know whether it still exists.

When I was a kid, the highlight of our summer visits to Seattle was at least one trip to one of the XXX Barrels. To this day, I believe it was the platonic ideal of root beer.

Norman Hathaway
07-18-2005, 07:59 AM
i went to high school that had a brilliant a&w next door to it. had the mandatory cement papa, mama and baby on the roof.

icy mugs.

*sigh*

ktinkel
07-18-2005, 08:06 AM
i went to high school that had a brilliant a&w next door to it. had the mandatory cement papa, mama and baby on the roof.

icy mugs.

*sigh*We used to go to an A&W when we vacationed in Vermont. It was one Route 7 south of Middlebury, and made divine root beer floats. But Jack said what I saw was a mere hint of what it had been — a real thriving drive-in — when he was a kid.

Must confess that some of the appeal of the XXX Root Beer place near Seattle was the building: I just loved going into a barrel! I was a simple child, easy to amuse.

JohnC
07-18-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't recall ever seeing the barrel building in the last dozen or so years. But I'll ask around. Other similar things have gone away (if you remember the Twin Teepees restaurant on Aurora Ave near the northwest corner of Green Lake).

I did have a favorite root beer as a kid, but I can't remember the brand. All I remember is that it was thick and smooth and had a hint of licorice in the taste (even though at that time I didn't like licorice itself).

ktinkel
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I don't recall ever seeing the barrel building in the last dozen or so years. But I'll ask around. Other similar things have gone away (if you remember the Twin Teepees restaurant on Aurora Ave near the northwest corner of Green Lake).Oh, gee — that’s too bad. Not surprising, though. Do let me know if the XXX barrels are still around.

I did have a favorite root beer as a kid, but I can't remember the brand. All I remember is that it was thick and smooth and had a hint of licorice in the taste (even though at that time I didn't like licorice itself).I feel the same way about licorice, but a hint of it seems fairly common (and quote OK) in root beers. What I dislike is root beer with an obvious taste of vanilla; reminds me of over-oaked white wines!

ElyseC
07-18-2005, 01:55 PM

icy mugs.

*sigh*<sigh> Indeed. Had an A&W drive-in in my hometown when I was a kid, complete with the trays that hung off the car window, frosty mugs, and all. They had miniature frosty mugs for kids, too, and have one from all those decades ago still around here somewhere.

Was an every Tuesday night dinner thing when I was a kid, because Dad had a club meeting that served dinner every Tuesday and Mom would take me and my sisters out for our own good time.

Anne Wright
07-19-2005, 08:07 AM
We used to go to an A&W when we vacationed in Vermont. It was one Route 7 south of Middlebury, and made divine root beer floats. But Jack said what I saw was a mere hint of what it had been — a real thriving drive-in — when he was a kid.
When I was a kid the only drive-in in our small town was an A&W. They used to have a "Name that Song" contest on the only radio station with moldy oldies as the songs. Mom would ID the songs and my sisters would call in - we had lots of meals there that they won, until the A&W banned them from entering again ;-)

A&W rootbeer in those iced mugs was the best thing on a July day in central Florida! No other rootbeer has ever been up to that standard, IMO.
Anne