PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy on public TV (U.S.)

ktinkel
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I have been engrossed in a show on calligraphy (illuminated letters, especially) on PBS this evening — Illuminated Bible.

It focuses on a calligrapher named Donald Jackson and his long-term project (the St. John’s Bible). We have so far seen how to convert a goose feather into a quill pen (interesting process) and seen how different calligraphers produce text.

There is something about Wales (is Wales a hot bed of calligraphy?); and a really incredible community of religious brothers in a Breuer-designed place in the U.S.

Altogether worth a few minutes of any type-lover’s time.

Mike
06-28-2005, 07:09 AM
There is something about Wales (is Wales a hot bed of calligraphy?);

Dunno but it's full of celtic typefaces which are very calligraphic -- and, of course, Eric Gill lived here for a while.

See also: http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/people/jackson.htm -- there's a reference to the Welsh calligraphy centre towards the end of the page.

ktinkel
06-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Dunno but it's full of celtic typefaces which are very calligraphic -- and, of course, Eric Gill lived here for a while.

See also: http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/people/jackson.htm -- there's a reference to the Welsh calligraphy centre towards the end of the page.Sounds a lot like the content of the TV show.

This was a fund-raiser for our TV station (which means that they break into the film periodically and entreat us to send them money) and they decided to appeal to a religious constituency. While the context of the program was religious, the subject matter was not, and the sheer opportunism of the pitch annoyed me.

donmcc
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I think I have seen that show in the past on another PBS station that beams into Canada. It was very interesting, and led me to look into the website (which I see someone else has posted).

One day I hope to travel to England as see the Lindesfarne Gospels and the Domesday Book, two very different manuscript texts from a couple millenia ago.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I think I have seen that show in the past on another PBS station that beams into Canada. It was very interesting, and led me to look into the website (which I see someone else has posted).It was certainly unusual fare for TV hereabouts.

Michael Rowley
06-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Don:

from a couple millenia ago

Both the Lindesfarne gospels and the Domesday book are old, but not that old: the first is 7th century, and the second 11th century.

Mike
06-28-2005, 11:42 PM
One day I hope to travel to England as see the Lindesfarne Gospels and the Domesday Book, two very different manuscript texts from a couple millenia ago.

Don McCahill

Your message prompted me to take a look at the British Library website where I found:

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/digitisation1.html

Well worth taking a look at if you haven't already seen it.

annc
06-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Your message prompted me to take a look at the British Library website where I found:

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/digitisation1.html

Well worth taking a look at if you haven't already seen it.That's beautiful, Mike. The audio accompaniment is really helpful, especially as the text equivalent covers the main window.

It would be even better if the pages were a little larger on my screen.

donmcc
06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I have seen that site. An interesting Flash application.

donmcc
06-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I was thinking more of Lindesfarne, which was from two millenia ago (over 1000 years). We will soon hit that point with Domesday, which is nearing 1000.

To me, that is old.

Mike
06-29-2005, 11:00 PM
It would be even better if the pages were a little larger on my screen.

The magnifying glass option is useful but I agree, a larger or resizable image would be much better.

Michael Rowley
06-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Don:

which was from two millenia ago

Your way of counting would make all of us (apologies to to any five-year-old typographers) 'born one millenium ago'!

The Lindefarne Gospels in the British Library are matched by the Book of Kells in Trinity College Library, which is also worth seeing.

donmcc
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, I for one am living in my second millenium.

Michael Rowley
06-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Don:

I for one am living in my second millenium

What were the first thousand years like?