PDA

View Full Version : Cookies, yummie and otherwise!

Anne Wright
06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Kathleen, I wish the Internet Publishing forum would move off Compuserve! I was in there reading messages when suddenly I could not get anywhere in the system. So I came here.

Maybe you guys should offer them a forum here? ;-)
Anne

ktinkel
06-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Kathleen, I wish the Internet Publishing forum would move off Compuserve! I was in there reading messages when suddenly I could not get anywhere in the system. So I came here.

Maybe you guys should offer them a forum here? ;-)
AnneSorry you had that problem. I would try to help (though I’m not sure I can — but what, exactly, happened?

LoisWakeman
06-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Anne - you aren't the only one - and I'm a sysop there!

Franca
06-13-2005, 01:15 AM
I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile ... I have never been able to get into P-CIS by way of any links from here. I always get an error message telling me that the "Redirection limit for this URL has been exceeded. Unable to load the requested page." I always have to go in to the P-CIS forums using one of my regular links and try to find the thread mentioned on my own.

ktinkel
06-13-2005, 05:57 AM
I've been meaning to ask about this for awhile ... I have never been able to get into P-CIS by way of any links from here. I always get an error message telling me that the I always have to go in to the P-CIS forums using one of my regular links and try to find the thread mentioned on my own.Really! I have no idea. But it doesn’t sound particularly nice.

Perhaps they don’t want us referring people to the CIS forums? Huh? Makes no sense.

You can look at the URL and get the thread/message name and/or ID and then search on those once you get there.

Franca
06-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Really! I have no idea. But it doesn’t sound particularly nice.It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo. It's bizarre.

Perhaps they don’t want us referring people to the CIS forums? Huh? Makes no sense. You'd think they'd want any referrals they could get.

You can look at the URL and get the thread/message name and/or ID and then search on those once you get there. True. But not nearly as simple as clicking on the link you so kindly provided. Sigh.

ktinkel
06-13-2005, 08:20 AM
It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo. I doubt it has to do with browser or platform. In fact, the link just worked for me.

For a moment I was thinking it might be the form of the URL, but I just looked and it is the correct format for the long version.

If you think of it, try again later, will you? Curious to know if it is intermittent, a vendetta against Franca, specifically, or something else! :-)

Franca
06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
It's never been intermittent - I have always gotten the same error. Still do now. I, too, would like to know if it is a vendetta against me!

ktinkel
06-13-2005, 01:12 PM
It's not at all nice. Am I the only one who has seen this? I know I'm not the only one using the Firefox/Win XP combo. It's bizarre.

You'd think they'd want any referrals they could get.

True. But not nearly as simple as clicking on the link you so kindly provided. Sigh.I have been inquiring.

Have you set Firefox to block any of the P-CIS (AOL, Prospero, CompuServe, etc.) cookies? Evidently that is one that that will prompt that error message.

If so, unblock (at least temporarily) and see if the link works.

Franca
06-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Thank you for looking into this, Kathleen!

I haven't set Firefox to block anything. Every time some site tells me there's a cookie problem I check, but can't find anything in Firefox's settings that would be causing it. I think most of my settings are fairly standard - third-party cookies are blocked, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? I suppose I could uncheck that temporarily to test ... will do that in a moment. I have pop-up blocking in both Firefox and ZoneAlarm, and banner ads blocked in ZA as well. But ads aren't cookies. That much I know, lol.

Moments later ... well, that's nasty. You have to allow third-party cookies in order to use links to P-CIS threads inserted here. Don't need them for navigating directly in to P-CIS, though, so what's up with that?? Disallowing third-party cookies has always seemed to me to be a standard medium-security setting. Does everyone here allow third-party cookies?

ktinkel
06-14-2005, 05:30 AM
… most of my settings are fairly standard - third-party cookies are blocked, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? I suppose I could uncheck that temporarily to test ... will do that in a moment. I have pop-up blocking in both Firefox and ZoneAlarm, and banner ads blocked in ZA as well. But ads aren't cookies. That much I know, lol.

Moments later ... well, that's nasty. You have to allow third-party cookies in order to use links to P-CIS threads inserted here. Don't need them for navigating directly in to P-CIS, though, so what's up with that?? Disallowing third-party cookies has always seemed to me to be a standard medium-security setting. Does everyone here allow third-party cookies?Bright idea: Do you have a similar problem when trying to follow links from other outside forums (Tapcis, say) into P-CIS? (That would help narrow things down.)

Finetuning Firefox prefs should let you limit third-party cookies to just those from CIS sites.

I don’t have that set so don’t know what the exact site names would be. Once you know them, set them up in the Exceptions list as “allowed.”

I had a similar problem with loading images, so had to allow two sites to place images: acx.prospero.com and community.compuserve.com.

But those may not be relevant for the cookies. I have a lot of CIS-related cookies in my Firefox list, including some from ar.atwola.com, atwola.com, and a bunch with compuserve actually in the name.

I’ll see if someone can tell us something more specific.

Franca
06-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Bright idea: Do you have a similar problem when trying to follow links from other outside forums (Tapcis, say) into P-CIS? (That would help narrow things down.)Don't think I've ever seen a link to P-CIS from anywhere but here. ;-) Have you seen one in TapCIS forum that I could try?

ktinkel
06-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Don't think I've ever seen a link to P-CIS from anywhere but here. ;-) Have you seen one in TapCIS forum that I could try?Nah — I don’t hang out there (never having laid eyes upon Tapcis or Ozwin!), but I thought you might find reason to visit there, and then maybe could find a link (or create one). :-)

Franca
06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
I don’t hang out there (never having laid eyes upon Tapcis or Ozwin!)Couldn't quite imagine why you'd have any real connection to the place.... I do wander over there once every couple of days or so, but haven't seen any links back to the "old place" so far. 'Spose I could do a little test....

ktinkel
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Couldn't quite imagine why you'd have any real connection to the place.... I do wander over there once every couple of days or so, but haven't seen any links back to the "old place" so far. 'Spose I could do a little test....I know it runs on vBulletin on a small web host — which makes it quite a bit like this. Let me know what you discover.

Anne Wright
06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Sorry you had that problem. I would try to help (though I’m not sure I can — but what, exactly, happened?
Kathleen, No page in the P-CIS forums would respond. I'd click the link but nothing would ever load. It happens at least two - three times a week with that system, both in IE and in Firefox. And when it happens with one ID, I can't get in with my alternate one on the other computer - so it is not me or my system, it has to be the P-CIS system. Maybe it is when they are "upgrading" the software.
Anne

terrie
06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
>>Franca: "Redirection limit for this URL has been exceeded. Unable to load the requested page."

Using Netscape 7.1 I don't get that message when I click on a link here to cserve but I have gotten a similar message when I try to log off my bank's website...it's weird...

Terrie

Anne Wright
06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Anne - you aren't the only one - and I'm a sysop there!
Lois, I am a sysop in the Windows Support and PC Hardware Forums, so I understand how little sysops can influence the Compuserve forums any more. Most of us with WUGNET are afraid to even be critical as a number of our people have been locked out at one time or other.

But I think of all the valuable members that have been permanently lost to the forums since the move to the "new improved" forum software and mourn the old days. Internet Publishing has certainly lost some very important members. Not to knock the people still there, but the forum is just not the same as it was without Marjolein Katsma's caustic commentary ;-)

JVegVT
06-14-2005, 07:15 PM
>> Does everyone here allow third-party cookies? >>

Yes. I consider blocking cookies just another example of cookie phobia. You have to allow all cookies in order to log into CompuServe.

Cookies aren't Big Bad Wolves.
--Judy M.

Franca
06-15-2005, 02:24 AM
You have to allow all cookies in order to log into CompuServe.But you don't have to allow third-party cookies to go into CIS as a guest. And surfing in on a link from here I should just be coming in as a guest.

When this forum was still on P-CIS I didn't need to allow third-party cookies to log in. That seems to be a new thing. New since the last time I logged on, anyway, which has been awhile, I admit. In any case, it's just silly, IMO. No other "information" site I go to requires third-party cookies. In fact, no other site of any kind that I care to visit requires them. I'm not paranoid about cookies - I have the same feeling about them that I have about junk mail. They're of no use to me; why should they clutter up my computer? Bah humbug.

annc
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm not paranoid about cookies - I have the same feeling about them that I have about junk mail. They're of no use to me; why should they clutter up my computer? Bah humbug.Some cookies are good for you, though. You'd hate it if you had to wade through the entire message boards every time you came in here, wouldn't you? ;-)

Franca
06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Some cookies are good for you, though. You'd hate it if you had to wade through the entire message boards every time you came in here, wouldn't you? ;-)I would hate that, yes indeedy. But those wouldn't be third-party cookies keeping track of that info. ;-)

annc
06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I would hate that, yes indeedy. But those wouldn't be third-party cookies keeping track of that info. ;-)No, but you said you thought of cookies as spam, not third party cookies as spam. ;-)

Franca
06-15-2005, 03:06 PM
I got tired of typing out "third-party cookies" over and over and over and over again. ;-) My sole gripe in this discussion was about any site requiring third-party cookies - I never complained about any other kind of cookie. (I'm really very fond of most cookies, but chocolate chocolate chip would be my favorite.)

ktinkel
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I got tired of typing out "third-party cookies" over and over and over and over again. ;-) My sole gripe in this discussion was about any site requiring third-party cookies - I never complained about any other kind of cookie. (I'm really very fond of most cookies, but chocolate chocolate chip would be my favorite.)Hmmm. I prefer oatmeal, not too crunchy, with just the right amount of raisins.

annc
06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Hmmm. I prefer oatmeal, not too crunchy, with just the right amount of raisins.My favourite is ANZAC biscuits (http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm) (the popular version, at the foot of the page).

Franca
06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
My favourite is ANZAC biscuits (http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm) (the popular version, at the foot of the page).Those do sound tasty. But they need chocolate. <g>

ktinkel
06-16-2005, 06:51 AM
My favourite is ANZAC biscuits (http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm) (the popular version, at the foot of the page).Not sure about that — guess I’d have to eat one!

I bought a box of Wheatabix recently, thinking they would be tasty, and imagine my surprise! Yuck. Now I realize something called ANZAC will not be British, but you all are related. . .

terrie
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Arnott's makes the *best* cookies!!! I wish I could get them here...they made a lemon sandwich cookie that was sooo yummmmm...

Terrie

ElyseC
06-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Hmmm. I prefer oatmeal, not too crunchy, with just the right amount of raisins.Me, too! Golden raisins, especially. SomeCrust (http://somecrust.com/) bakery out in Claremont, California makes some of the very best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever had. You can order cookies (https://rs256.securehostserver.com/%7Esomecrus/cgi-bin/ecommerce/ac/agora.cgi?product=cookies) on line from them; they ship all over the U.S. The one most oft requested is the Mocha, fwiw. Absolute diet killer, it is, and you better be a lover of decadent chocolate.

Of course, when we were just out there a week ago last Monday, what did I get? Oatmeal raisin. :-)

annc
06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Those do sound tasty. But they need chocolate. <g>Ugh! <g>

I love chocolate, but can't imagine it on ANZAC biscuits. ;-)

annc
06-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Not sure about that — guess I’d have to eat one!

I bought a box of Wheatabix recently, thinking they would be tasty, and imagine my surprise! Yuck. Now I realize something called ANZAC will not be British, but you all are related. . .I think Wheatabix are a bit like our Weetbix, which are a breakfast cereal. Inedible unless flooded with milk, and inedbie then for me because I don't like milk. <g>

ANZAC biscuits (using the popular recipe) are sweet and tasty.

annc
06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Arnott's makes the *best* cookies!!! I wish I could get them here...they made a lemon sandwich cookie that was sooo yummmmm...I find Arnott's too full of vanilla. Have you seen the new Tim Tam Dangerous Liaisons? Chocolate truffle, Black Forest, and Chilli something or other.

Franca
06-17-2005, 10:10 PM
The one most oft requested is the Mocha, fwiw. Absolute diet killer, it is, and you better be a lover of decadent chocolate.That's the one for me! <VBG> May have to wait 6 months before I dare order any, though. I will have to shed my extra France pounds first. Oink.

terrie
06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
>>annc: Have you seen the new Tim Tam Dangerous Liaisons? Chocolate truffle, Black Forest, and Chilli something or other.

I've heard of them...apparently one can order Tim Tams here in the States...can't remember the url for the order place but there are a number of people on equine-l who live here in the States who have a Tim Tam addiction and have ordered...'-}}

Terrie

PS...I haven't had an Arnott's cookie since the last time I was in Hong Kong--you can get them there--which was too many years ago...

Jim Hart
06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
If you think of it, try again later, will you? Curious to know if it is intermittent, a vendetta against Franca, specifically, or something else! :-)

I think it's a vendetta against Franca. I haven't had a problem with it from here, but I have had the problem intermittently when I tried to get back to a message using a shortcut I had created by dragging the URL to the desktop.

terrie
06-18-2005, 01:17 PM
>>elyse: You can order cookies (https://rs256.securehostserver.com/%7Esomecrus/cgi-bin/ecommerce/ac/agora.cgi?product=cookies) on line from them;

$2 a cookie?! They would have to be extroardinary...

I'm very tempted by the Pumpkin Spice...a friend of mine from work who no longer lives in the area used to make something like that and they were just wonderful...

Maybe when I win my case, I'll order some in celebration...'-}}

Terrie

Jim Hart
06-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Just guessing, but after a little bit of testing, it looks to me that when you follow a ling from here to P-CIS, P-CIS tries to set a cookie when you connect. And Firefox, for some reason, sees that cookie as a third party cookie since it is not being set by this site. I'm not certain that makes sense, but that is what it looks like.

ElyseC
06-18-2005, 03:59 PM
$2 a cookie?! They would have to be extroardinary...They, of course, don't cost that much when you buy them in person, but SomeCrust has no problem selling them at that price to Claremont expatriots now living far away. <g>