PDA

View Full Version : Skype

Franca
06-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Anybody here use Skype? I've only recently heard of it from a few friends/colleagues, but they all say it's fantastic. Any pros/cons? Phoning other Skypers anywhere for free sounds pretty cool, and for an extra fee you can call conventional telephones as well.

I've downloaded it and have just been using the online chat bits. Would like to know a bit more before plunking down the $ for a headset and mic, but it has already impressed me by functioning on a very "blocked" wireless connection here at Le Mans. I can't use AIM, ICQ or Yahoo IM services on the wireless network at the track, but Skype cruises right on through. Pretty amazing, actually.

jvecht
06-17-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi Franca,

Anybody here use Skype? I've only recently heard of it from a few friends/colleagues, but they all say it's fantastic. Any pros/cons? Phoning other Skypers anywhere for free sounds pretty cool, and for an extra fee you can call conventional telephones as well.

I use it frequently when travelling abroad to stay in touch with home. Works excellent on any connection faster than 56k6 (phone line) and worth trying on phonelines faster than 33k. Never try SkypeOut yet though (no need)..Skype works well on MacOSX too. On Linux I found it to be troublesome.

Alternatively there is the SIP protocol and Sipphone/XTen and the likes. Advantage: works on Windows 98, disadvantage: needs a better connection - 56k6 is a no-go..

regards,

Just

Franca
06-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Thank you, Just. I'm impressed it will even work well on 56K dial-up. So SkypeOut is not yet ready for "prime time", so to speak? As you say, no need for me at the moment but since they place reminders about the service everywhere one looks, I was rather curious to know if/how well it works.

annc
06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Anybody here use Skype?Steve Rindsberg's been using it. I think you'll find a thread here somewhere where he asked almost the same question you did. Or maybe it was when we were still on CIS, in which case it's gone.

There's also a thread about it in INETPUB, so as links from here to there don't work for you, I suggest you go over there and search for it by name.

Franca
06-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Ann! Found the thread plus various other references to Skype over there.

jvecht
06-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi Franca,

Thank you, Just. I'm impressed it will even work well on 56K dial-up. So SkypeOut is not yet ready for "prime time", so to speak? As you say, no need for me at the moment but since they place reminders about the service everywhere one looks, I was rather curious to know if/how well it works.

I have no experience, but as you just pay local connection fees for a long distance intercontinental call and if you make a lot of them, I would sure try SkypeOut.

My ADSL ISP now offers ADSL plus Telephony to any national landline for one flat fee. Better still, that fee is same I pay now. So I am about to change over soon as the saving is quite huge. The Telephony is VOIP too and I heard rumors it is SIP based (not sure at all though).

When I was at a US factory a month ago there were Cisco IP Phones everywhere! I just pulled the cable from one of these handsets, plugged it into my laptop's Ethernet port, logged onto the firewall and was online.

The era of POTS is nearing its end for sure. Just as Windows is nearing ... (or am I mistaken) ;-) and Apple is turning to X86 CPUs.

regards,

Just

Steve Rindsberg
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
FWIW, I'm still using Skype and generally quite pleased with it. I have a USB headset and the sound quality is amazingly good when there's a decent connection at both ends. Once in a while the connection goes wonko; I suspect that's more on the ISP's shoulders than Skype's.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
06-18-2005, 02:24 PM
<< USB headset >>

Any recommendations?

Steve Rindsberg
06-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I bought a Logitech for reasons having nothing to do with Skype, but I'd read about Skype, saw something about "Skype-approved" on the package and figured "Well why not? I'll give it a try." (On The Victim, of course. Not one of the for-serious PCs. <g>)

I wasn't looking for high fidelity audio or super-accurate recording, just a better version of your basic cheapo headphone/mic combination. I've been quite pleased with how Much better it's been.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks -- I got a drive bay fixture that brings a card reader and USB to the front of my PC case as well as audio in and out but the latter won't work so USB wuld be a good solution.

I'll have a look at their website.

John Spragens
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
A friend has the Premium USB Headset 350 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10013) and likes it a lot. Got it for use with Skype.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
06-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the pointer.

Franca
06-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, I had my "trial by fire" with Skype at Le Mans. It was decided that there was no quicker and better way for the nine of us to share up-to-the-minute information than Skype's chat function so that's what we did. It was actually quite good for that purpose, and it was a wizard at getting through the ACO wireless blocking that made all of the other instant messaging programs completely useless. Now that I've got Skype up and running I guess I'll buy myself a headset and try out the free phone feature. I now have a few friends to help me get up to speed with that.

I could just buy a Logitech headset/mic off Amazon, but we've got Plantronics right here and a friend who works there so maybe I'll call him first. If the "best" sounds too good ($$) for my needs I'll go with the Logitech.