PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw 12 on Win 7?

Franca
10-26-2012, 12:43 AM
I know this is a long shot, but is anybody here using Draw 12 on Win 7? And if so, did you have to do anything special to get it to work properly? XP Mode? Other tweaks?

I was rather surprised, actually, that it appeared to install on my Win 7 laptop without a hitch. I was fully expecting to have to jump through a number of hoops but since that was not the case I assumed everything was fine. Not so. I've had it installed for quite some time but am only now trying to use it for a project and am discovering that there are some missing elements in my files. I thought at first it was because I was opening files that had last been saved in earlier versions of Draw, but I made sure to open one that had been saved in Draw 12 and am encountering the same problem. There were no missing elements in these files when they were opened on my XP machine.

Draw 12 on my XP machine was never patched even though I'm fairly certain there was at least one service pack issued for it. Now it's so old of course Corel doesn't even list Draw 12 on its Patches and Updates page, but I'm not sure a service pack would fix this anyway. Maybe I should have installed it in XP Mode? I should probably just bite the bullet and buy the current version but that doesn't help me with the project I need to get done tomorrow. I thought it would be quick and easy ... wrong! Any ideas for the immediate and/or longterm problem?

Steve Rindsberg
10-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't remember the specifics, but I did some poking around and concluded that I'd be better off popping for the upgrade to X5 from 12 when I got the Win7 box.

FWIW, there are two patches available here (no docs, just the exes):

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/CorelDRAW/DRAW12Suite/en/

Franca
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Steve! I have downloaded the trial version of X6 which is good for 30 days. But first I'm going to try firing up the creaky old XP system and see if I can't just knock off this project there. Last time I fired up the XP machine I had very disturbing weirdness so I unplugged it and have been treating it as dead. But I guess at this point I don't have anything to lose by pressing the button and seeing if it will come up.... Fingers crossed.

terrie
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
franca: I know this is a long shot, but is anybody here using Draw 12 on Win 7?What vintage is Draw12? Not sure this is useful or not but I installed WordPerfect 8 on my new system and I set the setup.exe Compatibilty to WinXP/SP3 and also used "Run as Admin". I did the same thing for my desktop shortcut. I've not done too much with WP8 but enough that I'm pretty sure it's working ok.

I don't know if this is accurate but what I've found is that when you set Compatibility mode for the install/setup exe--at least using WinXP/SP3--it doesn't appear to put stuff in Win 7's Program Data folder but rather keeps all the software files in the software installation folder wherever that may be--in my case it's my F:\ drive.

What I'd do is uninstall it, reboot, clean up any obvious leftover stuff and then install it again using Compatibilty WinXP (whatever flavor) and Run as Admin. I'd also apply any patches you might find--I applied the WP8 patch before I opened it the first time and I also copied over my prefs from my WinXP install.

Hope that helps...

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Terrie's suggestion is a good one to try; or download XP mode and install under that.

Franca
10-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I have XP mode already. I was going to try installing under that but CGS X6 seems pretty easy to get along with so I'll probably just end up buying that. Draw 12 was never my favorite. I miss Draw 9 PCE, sigh. Anyway, one advantage of staying current is updated import filters for the latest Illo files. X6 opened an AI file that 12 was refusing to recognize. And X6 will also give me Photo-Paint which is good since I will probably not want to spend the $$$ to update my even older version of Photoshop. I'm resigning myself to spending the money on the Corel products.... The older I get the less I enjoy workarounds. I don't know if Ventura is going to make it onto my Win 7 system. :(

Franca
10-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks, Terrie. I would try that but now that I've spent the day using X6 I think I'll end up buying it. It was nice to have something install painlessly and start doing its job without any fuss and bother. Tomorrow I get to find out if my old Epson 3000 will install and print from Win 7. Am so not looking forward to that. But my old HP LJ 4M Plus works so I'm feeling vaguely optimistic.

Steve Rindsberg
10-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it used to give that "I beat it!" feeling when you solved these things. Nowadays it's more "Oh lord, do we have to go through THIS again?"

But for me the upgrade to X5 was worth it if only for the improvement in AI imports over 12.

terrie
10-27-2012, 10:31 AM
franca: Thanks, Terrie.You're welcome...

>>I would try that but now that I've spent the day using X6 I think I'll end up buying it. It was nice to have something install painlessly and start doing its job without any fuss and bother.

Yes...I know the feeling...'-}}

>>Tomorrow I get to find out if my old Epson 3000 will install and print from Win 7. Am so not looking forward to that. But my old HP LJ 4M Plus works so I'm feeling vaguely optimistic.

Epson is definitely better about supplying the Win7 drivers than HP given my experience with my Epson 4000 and my HP 2200D so I'll bet you won't have any problems with your Epson 3000...

Terrie

Franca
10-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Epson is definitely better about supplying the Win7 drivers than HP given my experience with my Epson 4000 and my HP 2200D so I'll bet you won't have any problems with your Epson 3000...Hope you're right! Cautiously optimistic. :) We have a little Canon we can use in a pinch but it can't handle the larger size paper.

Franca
10-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it used to give that "I beat it!" feeling when you solved these things. Nowadays it's more "Oh lord, do we have to go through THIS again?"Exactly.

But for me the upgrade to X5 was worth it if only for the improvement in AI imports over 12.AI import capability has been the #1 reason for me to upgrade Draw all along. Well, other than OS incompatibility, obviously. I remember being excited by a few of the new goodies when version 9 came out but for the most part I haven't needed anything more than Draw 4 was able to do.

terrie
10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
franca: Hope you're right! Cautiously optimistic. :)Let me know how it goes...I've never used a Canon printer so I don't know anything about their drivers...

I just got my Epson 2450 flatbed scanner installed. There are no Win7/64bit drivers for it but after rooting around onlline I found someone who outlined what he'd done for his 2450 where he basically used the Epson 4990 drivers. That sent me back to look at what Epson might have for other scanners and I found that the 3170 had Win7/64bit drivers. When I started the install, it listed the Epson 2400 so I backed out of the install to go and look at the 2400 specs. As near as I can tell the only difference between the 2400 and the 2450 was that the 2450 had firewire so I decided to install the 2400 option since it's closer to the 2450 specs than either the 3170 or the 4990.

Then I plugged in and turned on my 2450, no drivers are found, you go to Control Panel > Device Manager, right-click the 2450, choose "Update Driver", choose "Browse...", choose "Let me pick..." and from the Epson list, I chose the 2400 driver and that does the trick.

The coolest thing is that I got the Copier function which was originally part of a set of little utilities on the original 2450 CD--I only ever used the copier function. I copied the Copier folder from my old system to my new and it works just fine. I decided to see if it would work without setting compatibility mode and it does although I do have it set to "run as admin"--I've set every shortcut on my desktop to do that even though I'm an admin user.

Terrie

Franca
10-27-2012, 10:14 PM
That's quite impressive that you got your scanner installed. If you look up older scanners, copiers and fax machines online to see if they are compatible with Win 7 the answer is almost universally a resounding, "No!" I wonder if I might have been able to make my beloved HP ScanJet 4C work ... but I seriously doubt it. I think HP drivers are less reliable in Win 7 than Epson's, plus the ScanJet 4C is really, really old. Pretty sure I've had it since Win98 or perhaps even longer. I had to use a kind of funky, very basic driver for XP but it scanned just fine. Since I had two very ancient scanners - the HP flatbed and an old Nikon slide/neg scanner - I decided to buy one new scanner that would scan everything and be guaranteed to work with Win 7. It was unbelievably inexpensive compared to what scanners cost back when I bought the other two. It's all unpacked but installation hasn't moved to the top of the To-Do list yet.

Steve Rindsberg
10-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Draw 5 for me, but ... yeah.

terrie
10-28-2012, 03:25 PM
franca: That's quite impressive that you got your scanner installed.I was pleased...had a small difficultly later in the evening when I tried to use it and the copier wouldn't work and then realized I'd installed Vuescan after I'd installed the Epson scanner drivers. I had just opened Vuescan to make sure the install was ok and apparently, since the 2450 is the only scanner installed (I usually use Vuescan with my slide scanner but haven't installed it yet), Vuescan thought it should set itself as the 2450 driver--Vuescan has it's own 2450 driver. It just took me a second or two to change the driver back to Epson's and all was well.

>> It was unbelievably inexpensive compared to what scanners cost back when I bought the other two. It's all unpacked but installation hasn't moved to the top of the To-Do list yet.

LOL! I know that feeling! Scanner prices have come way down. I can't remember exactly what I paid for my first scanner--a Umax (???)--but I think it might have been $600-$800??? At any rate, A LOT OF MONEY...'-}}

Terrie