PDA

View Full Version : How 2 turn CDs to regular MP3s?

ElyseC
06-14-2005, 08:49 AM
OK, I must be really dim, but I cannot find any place in good ol' iTunes to take songs I've imported from CDs and turn them into MP3s. Do I need some other bit of software? QuickTime Pro? What?

See, I'm in a women's chorus and they often make learning CDs of what we're we're working on. Some members would prefer to get them only as MP3s, however, and receive them in email or be able to review them in the members-only section of the chorus' web site.

Do I not understand the settings I'm seeing in iTunes? Do I need something else to convert to standard MP3s? Yeah, I know it's not a publishing topic, but I thought I'd start asking here, among my favorite, helpful people. :-)

Steve Rindsberg
06-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Find the song you want to convert, ctrl+click or rightclick it and choose Convert Selection to MP3 (which suggests that you might be able to convert several at a whack if all of them are selected?)

Hm. But I wonder if you see something different? See, I have iToons set to RIP CDs to MP3 in the first place. Which might be another option ... Splat Period for Prefs, Importing, Import Using: MP3 Encoder.

ElyseC
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Find the song you want to convert, ctrl+click or rightclick it and choose Convert Selection to MP3 (which suggests that you might be able to convert several at a whack if all of them are selected?)

Hm. But I wonder if you see something different? See, I have iToons set to RIP CDs to MP3 in the first place. Which might be another option ... Splat Period for Prefs, Importing, Import Using: MP3 Encoder.Hm. Well, all control+clicking the song gets me along in that regard is to convert to AAC, whatever that is.

Not yet having an iPod, but having discovered my new PalmOne Tungsten E2 can play MP3s, I have another reason to get these songs into MP3 form.

djb
06-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Preferences:Importing: Import Using MP3 Encoder

ElyseC
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Preferences:Importing: Import Using MP3 EncoderTo steal from Norman H., "marry me?"

THANK YOU. And here I thought I'd poked and prodded every darn preference setting in that software looking for it. Obviously I missed that one. <thud thud thud>

djb
06-14-2005, 01:35 PM
To steal from Norman H., "marry me?"

If you put on a little weight...

;-*

ElyseC
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
If you put on a little weight...

;-*Sorry, you're outta luck, then. Besides, now that I think of it, you have too much hair on top of your head. ;-)

Steve Rindsberg
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Try changing the prefs to MP3 encoding as mentioned earlier and re-import the cds maybe?

ElyseC
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Try changing the prefs to MP3 encoding as mentioned earlier and re-import the cds maybe?Been up against a deadline the last several days, but I'll bet that'll work when I try it, yes. Hopefully this weekend...