PDA

View Full Version : TypeCon

Norman Hathaway
06-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Any losers from here planning on attending TypeCon in New York next month?

Norman

Stephen Coles
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Besides me?

Norman Hathaway
06-14-2005, 03:35 PM
anyone BUT you!

damn.

Stephen Coles
06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I had the SOTA Director check the registrations so far ... looks like it's just me. All front row seats and free drinks are mine!

Take the Downer speedball workshop (http://www.typecon.com/workshops/) with me, Norm.

Norman Hathaway
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
if you can waive the $50 color me IN

def going to brush lettering though!!!!

ElyseC
06-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I had the SOTA Director check the registrations so far ... looks like it's just me. All front row seats and free drinks are mine!

Take the Downer speedball workshop (http://www.typecon.com/workshops/) with me, Norm.Wow! What fun! Some of my earliest memories of my father's artistic talents were the point-of-sale posters, signs, window banners and shelf-talkers my dad hand lettered for use in his drug store.

One of the requirements of a pharmacy major in college back in the late 1930s was to study lettering and sign painting. Why? If you were going to be a pharmacist ("chemist" to the lot across the Atlantic and Pacific ponds) you'd be expected to create your own in-store point-of-sale materials, whether you owned your own establishment (like my dad) or were employed by someone else. Heh, pharmacists today would look at you like you were from Mars if you asked them to do such a thing now!

Norman Hathaway
06-15-2005, 05:01 AM
so stephen and i should you save you a seat, right elyse?

ktinkel
06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
so stephen and i should you save you a seat, right elyse?That sounds like a good session — wish I could make it.

We will expect a good debriefing afterwards!

ElyseC
06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
so stephen and i should you save you a seat, right elyse?I wish I could go! <sigh>

Norman Hathaway
06-15-2005, 10:36 AM
and why exactly can't you make it?

Norman Hathaway
06-15-2005, 10:38 AM
you'll be missing your fellow iowan john downer.
v sad.

ElyseC
06-15-2005, 10:46 AM
and why exactly can't you make it?Nothing in the budget for such things right now, for one thing. <g> Then there's the five year old son and the fact that I'm trying to save up for another trip next autumn.

Alas, TypeCon will have to go on without me (as if anyone there would know the difference <g>).

ElyseC
06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
you'll be missing your fellow iowan john downer.
v sad.John Downer?

ktinkel
06-15-2005, 01:46 PM
and why exactly can't you make it?Medical excuse, unfortunately.

Maybe by then things will be better, but you should take good notes anyway.

ktinkel
06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
John Downer?Iowan Old Style (Bitstream); Vendetta (Emigre).

ElyseC
06-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Iowan Old Style (Bitstream); Vendetta (Emigre).Oh yeah, now I remember! Iowan Old Style, I like that one a lot, especially the old style figures. Something sexy about those numerals.

ktinkel
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah, now I remember! Iowan Old Style, I like that one a lot, especially the old style figures. Something sexy about those numerals.They are nice. You must have the complete set. I seem to have only the originals, which have lining figures.

ElyseC
06-15-2005, 02:49 PM
They are nice. You must have the complete set. I seem to have only the originals, which have lining figures.No, haven't bought it yet. I was just viewing it on line again.

Norman Hathaway
06-15-2005, 08:09 PM
He's getting quite the following as being an actual walking/talking hand letterer/sign painter. He's originally from Washington state (like me) but has lived in Iowa now for yonks.

ktinkel
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
… planning on attending TypeCon in New York next month?This seems like a good place to put the press announcement. For more information, visit the Society’s web site (http://www.typecon2004.com/).

Join us at TypeCon2005 as we celebrate Type Week in NYC!

Each summer, the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) presents TypeCon in a different host city. This year, SOTA has partnered with the Type Directors Club (TDC) to present TypeCon2005: Alphabet City. SOTA’s seventh annual conference will be held July 20-24, 2005, at Parsons School of Design in New York.

NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg has declared July 18-24 to be Type Week in New York because of TypeCon and related activities. You can be part of this week of typographic excitement!

TypeCon is extremely affordable, offering five days of workshops, presentations, panel discussions, exhibitions, and special events. TypeCon2005 features New York names like Gail Anderson, Peter Bain, Ed Benguiat, Louise Fili, Alexander Isley, Paula Scher, and Jakob Trollbäck. Presenters from outside North America include Neville Brody, Dave Farey, Mario Feliciano, Alessio Leonardi, Erik Spiekermann, and Strange Attractors.

Topics for TypeCon2005 will include typography and design for publications, graffiti and tattoo lettering, blackletter typography, the work of Eric Gill, design education, calligraphy, and type in motion. TypeCon2005 will feature the premiere of the second annual Typophile Film Festival, and the openings of exhibitions from the TDC, SOTA, and FontShop International.

Join us at TypeCon2005, the must-attend typographic event of the year. Register now (http://www.typecon.com/register/) and take advantage of the early bird discount!