PDA

View Full Version : The Google Ads dilemma

Andrew B.
06-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Google Ads are considered an excellent way bring in money for support of a web site. And ads that key on the content of the pages are supposed to be the best way to do it. Problem for me is, any time a graphic related site has Google ads, those ads are promoting the sites that are alleged bootleggers. And I'm not going to say they are bootleggers, because maybe they found a legal loop hole with this OEM thing. But if they are bootleggers, it doesn't play well, or feel right to run these ads. Also, considering Adobe's interest in stopping bootlegging (as demonstrated by adding activation), I wonder why we have not seen Adobe protesting this kind of advertising.

ktinkel
06-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Google Ads are considered an excellent way bring in money for support of a web site. And ads that key on the content of the pages are supposed to be the best way to do it. Problem for me is, any time a graphic related site has Google ads, those ads are promoting the sites that are alleged bootleggers. And I'm not going to say they are bootleggers, because maybe they found a legal loop hole with this OEM thing. But if they are bootleggers, it doesn't play well, or feel right to run these ads. Also, considering Adobe's interest in stopping bootlegging (as demonstrated by adding activation), I wonder why we have not seen Adobe protesting this kind of advertising.I don’t know, but can guess at a couple of things.

We would not necessarily see Adobe protesting; I would expect it to send its lawyers out if it thought it had a case. And, I suppose, if might send the lawyers out against a site that hosted those ads (whether via Goggle, sponsorship, or some other way).

But do you have some examples? I haven’t been noticing Google ads that look like they come from bootleggers. May not be paying attention, of course. (I do see ads for “free fonts” that when clicked turn out to be aliases to Agfa Monotype, however.)

I am more often struck by how misplaced many Google ads are. A site on Acrobat, referring to Distiller, gets ads for distilled alcohols and distillery equipment, for example. Makes me smile; but it would be annoying if I were hosting those ads.

Michael Rowley
06-05-2005, 10:29 AM
KT:

A site on Acrobat, referring to Distiller, gets ads for distilled alcohols and distillery equipment, for example

That should be lesson to Adobe for choosing such a daft name for a computer program: programs can't distil anything.

Steve Rindsberg
06-05-2005, 11:07 AM
If you have google ads on your site, you can ban ads from a list of domains you create. That's one out. And while I agree that it feels slimy to participate in these schemes, however peripherally, it's not up to us to police the problem (other than reporting it, if the software vendor cares enough to make that simple).