PDA

View Full Version : Ugly as sin. And then some

Ignoramus
01-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Dear All,
I finished my first dtp document today (am teacher of languages and clueless about dtp).
I had decided to have a nice backing to my flash cards,like you see on commercial cards and cards for boardgames. I used a wallpaper that I then duplicated on the entire page "by hand". When I printed it, I could see all the overlapping of the swatches. It's quite frankly painful to look at, even for the novice:eek:

terrie
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
ignoramus: I used a wallpaper that I then duplicated on the entire page "by hand". When I printed it, I could see all the overlapping of the swatches. It's quite frankly painful to look at, even for the novice:eek:Welcome to the wonderful world of "why didn't that work the way I wanted it to?"...'-}}

By "wallpaper" I think you mean that you found a digital version online someplace and then using something you duplicated the image to cover your background page?

What sofware did you use to duplicate the image? Take a look at your duplicated image page at a high zoom level. Do you see the overlap--I suspect that you didn't see the overlap in the software window before.

Depending on the software you are using, rather than duplicating the wallpaper image, you may be able to resize the single image to cover the page. Have you tried that?

Terrie

Ignoramus
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of "why didn't that work the way I wanted it to?"...'-}}

By "wallpaper" I think you mean that you found a digital version online someplace and then using something you duplicated the image to cover your background .

Depending on the software you are using, rather than duplicating the wallpaper image, you may be able to resize the single image to cover the page. Have you tried that?

Terrie

Actually, I used the background that came with the software. I tried resizing it first, but the pattern became disproportionate and lengthwise "stretched". That's when I resorted to duplicating. I suppose some backgrounds are more seamless than others. Can you recommend a book I could learn from apart from working my way through trial and terror?

terrie
01-23-2012, 11:07 PM
ignoramus: I tried resizing it first, but the pattern became disproportionate and lengthwise "stretched". Check the software and see if there is a "constrain proportions" option because this will allow you to alter the size without distortion--you may need to make the image oversized and then cut out the size you actually need.

>>Can you recommend a book I could learn from apart from working my way through trial and terror?

Not off the top of my head--it's very late...'-}}--but I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with. Hopefully someone else might have some ideas for you too...

Terrie

donmcc
01-24-2012, 06:18 AM
A good book that might be in your library system (available at Amazon otherwise) is The Non-Designer’s Design Book by Robin Williams. This is very basic about design principles, not software use.

Ignoramus
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
A good book that might be in your library system (available at Amazon otherwise) is The Non-Designer’s Design Book by Robin Williams. This is very basic about design principles, not software use.

Thanks for the tip! I'll Look into it immediately.:)

terrie
01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
donmcc: The Non-Designer’s Design Book by Robin Williams.That's the one I was thinking of last night and couldn't bring the title to mind...'-}}

Terrie

Ignoramus
01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I ordered the book yesterday. Can't wait to get it. :)

donmcc
01-25-2012, 05:42 AM
I couldn't remember the name either, Terry, but I remembered the author's name, since it is the same as Mork. After that, Google came to the rescue. I used to teach from that book.

terrie
01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
donmcc: since it is the same as MorkROFL!!! '-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
The same as the person who wrote "The Mork Is Not A Typewriter"?

terrie
01-26-2012, 12:13 PM
steve: "The Mork Is Not A Typewriter"? ROFL!!! But...the Mindy was...'-}}

Terrie

PS: for our Swedish friend, perhaps we should explain that there was a TV show called "Mork and Mindy" where Mork (played by a very young Robin Williams) was an alien come to earth...it was a very funny show...'-}}

Bo Aakerstrom
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
We did have that in Sweden. Subtitled so we had the English language too (at least the bits we understood...) .

terrie
01-26-2012, 02:33 PM
bo: We did have that in Sweden. Subtitled so we had the English language too (at least the bits we understood...) . LOL! And how was "nanoo...nanoo..." subtitled?? '-}}

I remember it being a really funny show...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
I can't imagine trying to translate Robin Williams. Or direct, really. You just sort of wind him up and let him fly.

sky4forums
01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't imagine trying to translate Robin Williams. Or direct, really. You just sort of wind him up and let him fly.
I read once that the animators for Aladdin, in which he did the voice of the genie, had to let him do most of his dialog and then animated to match. Since he ad-lib'ed so much there was no other way to do it.

Steve Rindsberg
01-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I read once that the animators for Aladdin, in which he did the voice of the genie, had to let him do most of his dialog and then animated to match. Since he ad-lib'ed so much there was no other way to do it.
I believe it. It's pure Robin Williams. I can't imagine scripting that kind of madness, other than taping him and transcribing. And then he couldn't read it as well as he improvises it.

I'm glad they just rolled with it. Pity they didn't get him back for the sequel, which was cute enough, fun for kids, but not nearly so much fun for the adults in the room.

longlivemedia
04-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Would you care to post some pictures? It might be easier to find out what went wrong if there was something to go by.