PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Dressage on OLN

annc
06-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I know that there are quite a few horsy members here, and that some of the non-horsy people enjoy watching top level dressage, so am posting this, which came in a press release from the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI):

FEI WORLD CUP DRESSAGE FINAL ON OLN
The FEI World Cup Dressage Final Presented by Offield Farms will be
televised on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN) on Monday June 6 at 3:00 p.m. EST, an hour earlier than originally scheduled. The one- hour broadcast offers dressage fans and horse lovers across the United States the rare opportunity to view the world‚s best riders, including American sweetheart Debbie McDonald.

With more than 11,000 spectators at the sold-out freestyle performance, which matches the beauty and precision of traditional dressage with the fan-thrilling appeal of choreographed horse/rider dance routines set to music, the event made history for the Olympic sport. Not only were the scores of the top riders the highest ever awarded, but also the American television broadcast, which was secured with the sponsorship from Offield Farms, allows millions of horse lovers to take part in an event that was the sensation of the horse world.

terrie
06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Thank you!!!! I'm going to see if I can tape this...

Terrie

annc
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Thank you!!!! I'm going to see if I can tape this...

TerrieIt should be well worth watching. The scores were phenomenal.

terrie
06-02-2005, 09:27 AM
>>annc: It should be well worth watching. The scores were phenomenal.

I'll let you know what I think...

Terrie

annc
06-03-2005, 08:16 AM
>>annc: It should be well worth watching. The scores were phenomenal.

I'll let you know what I think...

TerrieThanks. i'll be interested to hear.

Franca
06-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh, I love the freestyles! Well, darn. Can't get OLN in our hotel room in France. I could have set the receiver to record if I'd known about it before we left ... ah, well. It was bound to happen. There's always some sort of exciting horsey programming that I miss every time I go away.

terrie
06-03-2005, 12:11 PM
>>franca: Can't get OLN in our hotel room in France.

I'm planning on taping it so I could send you the tape...email me when you get home and I'll pop it in the mail...

By the way...have a grand time in France...

Terrie

PS...who is looking after ms. s when you are gone?

annc
06-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh, I love the freestyles! Well, darn. Can't get OLN in our hotel room in France. I could have set the receiver to record if I'd known about it before we left ... ah, well. It was bound to happen. There's always some sort of exciting horsey programming that I miss every time I go away.I'm sure there are compensations. ;-)

Franca
06-05-2005, 04:32 AM
I'm planning on taping it so I could send you the tape...email me when you get home and I'll pop it in the mail...That would be lovely, Terrie! Thank you muchly. I'll be in touch when body and mind catch up after our long flight home.

By the way...have a grand time in France...We shall! I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable here in the media center surrounded by seasoned motorsports writers who all know a heck of a lot more than I do. :-/

PS...who is looking after ms. s when you are gone?She will probably hardly miss me. Her usual excellent care at the barn will continue and Judith has promised to take her out for some roundpen work or a ride whenever she can. I have two of my trainers coming out on different days to work with her as well. I trust I will return to a happy, healthy, and reasonably well-exercised horse. Not that she couldn't just hang out in the pasture the whole time, but ... I think it's better to keep her mind engaged if possible!

terrie
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
>>franca: That would be lovely, Terrie! Thank you muchly. I'll be in touch when body and mind catch up after our long flight home.

Just in case you didn't read my post to you before we lost our posts...look forward to your email when you get back...

Franca
06-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I didn't get to read your post - thanks for repeating. <g>

terrie
06-08-2005, 11:36 AM
>>franca: I didn't get to read your post - thanks for repeating. <g>

Guess I'll repeat my review too...

*Some* dressage on tv is better than no dressage on tv but we got to see a whole 4.25 rides--a whopping 23 minutes out of 60--the rest was taken up by ads, more ads and yet more ads again...'-}}

Anky won but I don't know why as her ride was certainly not as good as the guy who came in 2nd (can't remember his name) or Brentina's (3rd) both of which were just lovely...

I guess Anky gets scored on her reputation rather than her actual ride of the day...

Terrie

annc
06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
I guess Anky gets scored on her reputation rather than her actual ride of the day...

That sort of comment from the uninitiated is quite common. In fact, it rarely happens, particularly at that level, where all the riders are of a high level, and well known to the judges.

What most casual observers don't understand is that certain movements are marked using coefficients, and this can make a certain amount of difference.

IOW, if a rider has a few errors, but they are all on the movements with no coefficient, and performs the movements with coefficients at a high level, the judges' marks will reflect this. Also, in the freestyle, the artistic coefficients are higher than the technical coefficients, being 3, 4, 4, and 6 (the 6 is for the selection and interpretatiion of the music).

As I said in my original reply to your original message <g> there is no way of knowing where Anky's marks came without access to the judges' sheets.

terrie
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
>>annc: As I said in my original reply to your original message <g> there is no way of knowing where Anky's marks came without access to the judges' sheets.

Missed that when we lost those posts...'-}}

I do understand about coefficients...it would have been cool to be able to see the judges scoring which would certainly help to clarify matters...I still say that she shouldn't have won...given what we were shown, I think 2nd (really 3rd) would have been more appropriate...but I guess that's why I don't get paid the bit bucks as a judge...LOL!!!

Terrie

annc
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
>>annc: As I said in my original reply to your original message <g> there is no way of knowing where Anky's marks came without access to the judges' sheets.

Missed that when we lost those posts...'-}}

I do understand about coefficients...it would have been cool to be able to see the judges scoring which would certainly help to clarify matters...I still say that she shouldn't have won...given what we were shown, I think 2nd (really 3rd) would have been more appropriate...but I guess that's why I don't get paid the bit bucks as a judge...LOL!!!Yeah, I bet the judges wish they were paid the big bucks as judges, too!

terrie
06-10-2005, 11:10 AM
>>annc: I bet the judges wish they were paid the big bucks as judges, too!

ROFL!!! Indeed...'-}}

Terrie

Franca
06-11-2005, 02:03 AM
*Some* dressage on tv is better than no dressage on tv but we got to see a whole 4.25 rides--a whopping 23 minutes out of 60--the rest was taken up by ads, more ads and yet more ads again...'-}}

Anky won but I don't know why as her ride was certainly not as good as the guy who came in 2nd (can't remember his name) or Brentina's (3rd) both of which were just lovely...I was kind of afraid of that.... I'd still like to see it, though, because as you say, some dressage is better than none. ;-) I felt the same way about Anky's Olympic performances. There were others I liked better.

P.S. I understand about the coefficients, too - similar to figure skating - but sometimes the difficulty of the movements just doesn't quite make up for the overall impression, which should be important in the freestyle as it is in the skating equivalent.

annc
06-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I was kind of afraid of that.... I'd still like to see it, though, because as you say, some dressage is better than none. ;-) I felt the same way about Anky's Olympic performances. There were others I liked better.

P.S. I understand about the coefficients, too - similar to figure skating - but sometimes the difficulty of the movements just doesn't quite make up for the overall impression, which should be important in the freestyle as it is in the skating equivalent.There's also the 'degree of difficulty' thing that helps some riders. This happened at our CDI-W last night, where two horses were very close. The eventual winner gained an advantage by doing a piaffe pirouette one-handed, and one time changes the full length of the centre line, also one-handed, without a single error, forward, fluid, and dead straight.

You can see the results for each judge for technical and artistic at the Brisbane CDI-W site (http://www.brisbanecdi.com).

terrie
06-11-2005, 01:59 PM
>>franca: I was kind of afraid of that.... I'd still like to see it, though, because as you say, some dressage is better than none. ;-)

Indeed...I've given the tape to Sandy (barn owner) and told her I needed it back by the end of the month so email me when you get home and I'll pop it in the mail to you...

>>I felt the same way about Anky's Olympic performances. There were others I liked better.

Me too...

Terrie