PDA

View Full Version : Eats, shoots & leaves

Michael Rowley
05-30-2005, 10:05 AM
I've just finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves, which appears to me as giving unexpectedly good advice about punctuation. It is funny too, which one can hardly say about Mind the Stop and You've Got a Point There, and for that reason its advice is more likely to be remembered.

If you haven't yet got it, buy it now, before it is too late!

terrie
05-30-2005, 11:45 AM
>>michaelr: I've just finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves,

There was a discussion about this book before we left compuserve...can't remember exactly when and I can't remember what the general opinion was...

Good to know you enjoyed it...

Terrie

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 12:57 PM
>>michaelr: I've just finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves,

There was a discussion about this book before we left compuserve...can't remember exactly when and I can't remember what the general opinion was...I sort of remember that everyone loved it except me <g>.

I was going to comment in this thread, but hadn’t looked at the book in ages so went looking for it, and can’t find it anywhere. Must have put it in a good safe place!

annc
05-30-2005, 01:30 PM
I sort of remember that everyone loved it except me <g>.

I was going to comment in this thread, but hadn’t looked at the book in ages so went looking for it, and can’t find it anywhere. Must have put it in a good safe place!Or given it to somebody. <g>

We've had several discussions about that book, and I don't think you were the only one who didn't like it or disagreed with some of the content.

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Or given it to somebody. <g>Me? Give away a book — any book? Never. Unfortunately.

I just found it a few minutes ago, in the first place I looked (but it was upside-down with the spine against the wall).

annc
05-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Me? Give away a book — any book? Never. Unfortunately.

I just found it a few minutes ago, in the first place I looked (but it was upside-down with the spine against the wall).I thought you might make an exception in the case of that one.

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 01:59 PM
I thought you might make an exception in the case of that one.Nope. How could I bitch about it then? <g>

Must sustain my right to complain!

annc
05-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Nope. How could I bitch about it then? <g>From memory? <g>

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 02:00 PM
From memory? <g>Not this memory. I would be silent as a tomb.

PeterArnel
05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Michael the sequel - eats shites and leaves is also good
Peter

Michael Rowley
05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
KT:

Must sustain my right to complain

Why didn't you like it then? The treatment is only superficially frivolous: most of Ms Truss's comments are sound. She's perhaps unobservant when it comes to typographical practice, but then the book isn't about typography as such. She's also guilty of some mistakes in her bibliography: The King's English was by H.W. and F.G. Fowler (not H.W. alone; his brother Frank didn't survive WW1), and Modern English Usage was published in 1926, not 1930.

Read the book again: ignore the bloodys, if you must.

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Why didn't you like it then? The treatment is only superficially frivolous: most of Ms Truss's comments are sound. She's perhaps unobservant when it comes to typographical practice, but then the book isn't about typography as such. She's also guilty of some mistakes in her bibliography: The King's English was by H.W. and F.G. Fowler (not H.W. alone; his brother Frank didn't survive WW1), and Modern English Usage was published in 1926, not 1930.

Read the book again: ignore the bloodys, if you must.Tell you what: I found my copy, and will carry it up to bed with me. Since I am experiencing an agony of sciatica and need to be up a lot, I will read it. And then I will try to say something.

As for the frequency of “bloody,” at risk of ruining my matronly and proper reputation <g>, I can only say that my speech is full of much worse, more often.

So give me a day or two, and I shall comment. Okay? :-)

Molly/CA
05-30-2005, 06:06 PM
I thought that she was much too picky about some things, to the extent of the punctuation interfering with the rhythm and flow of the text or even obscuring the meaning.

Just the same, I've found it useful at times.

Michael Rowley
05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
KT:

my speech is full of much worse

That's between you and your husband, neighbours, etc., but you don't do it in print (or do you?).

Take your time. Sorry to hear about the sciatica—I know it hurts.