PDA

View Full Version : What's similar to Bell MT?

marlene
05-28-2005, 09:46 AM
A new client sent me a big rush job on Friday afternoon. I have a disorganized set of files from their designer (who is too swamped to complete the job in-house).

One of the files is asking for Bell MT, which I don't seem to have. I think it was only used for the numbers "05" on the cover of the publication.

What font would be similar, at least as far as the numbers are concerned? I'm sure the client won't care if it's not an exact match. I was thinking a Century might work, but was hoping for a closer match if possible.

mxh

ktinkel
05-28-2005, 10:21 AM
One of the files is asking for Bell MT, which I don't seem to have. I think it was only used for the numbers "05" on the cover of the publication.

What font would be similar, at least as far as the numbers are concerned?None. It has really unusual figures.

I just set 05 in Bell MT and saved it as an Illustrator 8 EPS file (attached). Will that help? (I used the regular weight; there are also semibold and bold, and italics for all.)

Michael Rowley
05-29-2005, 12:13 PM
KT:

None. It has really unusual figures

It is rather surprising that Marlene hadn't got Bell MT, and it is more surprising that Bell hasn't a modern imitator: I thought it was counted among the classic fonts.

marlene
05-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I thought I replied yesterday, but our power went out right around that time, so maybe the post didn't make it.

Thanks for the file. If you have a minute, could you please convert the font to outlines? I need to open it in AI and fiddle with the color, and AI is asking for Bell.

TIA,

mxh

marlene
05-29-2005, 09:11 PM
It is rather surprising that Marlene hadn't got Bell MT

No one is more surprised than I. <g>

I know it was included with some Microsoft packages, but apparently not with the versions I have. I do have a bunch of old Monotype "value packs" somewhere -- if I can find the floppies, maybe Bell is on one of them.

Unfortunately my old font floppies are very disorganized. I know I saw them last month (when I was looking for another font), but they seemed to be hiding at the moment.

mxh

ktinkel
05-30-2005, 05:05 AM
… convert the font to outlines? That was dumb of me — I knew you didn’t have the font!!

Here it is.

marlene
05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
No problem -- if this were the worst complication on this project, I'd be a happy chick. I have a feeling I won't be getting a lot of sleep this week -- this brochure is going to take longer than I feared.

Thanks,

mxh