PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Photoshop...

Robin Springall
05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
As usual, I'm having to tweak some artwork that's been sent in, but I'm really not a pro when it comes to Photoshop. He's told me the colour he wants is 0b131d: what's that in CMYK or RGB?

Bo Aakerstrom
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM
As usual, I'm having to tweak some artwork that's been sent in, but I'm really not a pro when it comes to Photoshop. He's told me the colour he wants is 0b131d: what's that in CMYK or RGB?
rgb(11,19,29)
There must be an easy way to find out in Photoshop. If you know about it of course!

Robin Springall
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Thank you Bo :)

Andrew B.
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
It looks like a hex value, but its so low that it's almost black.

Steve Rindsberg
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Googling "color converter" hoiks up this right off:

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/hex-to-rgb/color-converter.php

Better yet, it thinks Bo's conversion is right.

Bo Aakerstrom
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM

It just had to happen sooner or later!:)

Steve Rindsberg
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
The world is SO slow in catching up with us savants. Tsk.

Robin Springall
05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I decided to remake the layout in InDesign, as it generally takes as long to push and pull Photoshop layers around to fit. What's the proper way of saving a layer object (such as a picture) as a PSD or tiff so I can place it in ID?

I do it like this, which seems awfully long-winded:
- Select the layer object and show its transform box so you can see the object's edges.
- Draw a marquee around it.
- Copy the object and paste it into a new Photoshop document.
- Save the document as a PSD or tiff.
- Be grateful there are only 10 or so of the buggers!

I suppose I could paste into InDesign instead, but I don't think I could subsequently edit the object if I needed to.

terrie
05-06-2011, 12:28 PM
robin: What's the proper way of saving a layer object (such as a picture) as a PSD or tiff so I can place it in ID? My working images are always layered PSD files and then for ID, I would flatten the PSD file, save as a TIFF and then do a Place in ID. I never use layered TIFF files and why take up all that "room" in ID with layered PSD files?

I also tried to make sure that the TIFF file was the correct size for the ID document generally resizing the layered PSD (probably saving a copy of that resized PSD file) and then flattening and saving as a TIFF...

I was always taught that doing a Place was the best approach but...

Terrie

annc
05-07-2011, 12:49 AM
I do more or less what you do, but always save as PSD because InDesign handles them at least as well as it does TIFFs, and when you need to go backwards and forwards, it's just simpler. Also, when I work on clients' JPEGs, I save as PSD for printing, so it makes sense to use the same file format all the time.

I don't envy you the job. I'm not all that good at using marquees, so that's the hardest part of the exercise for me.

Robin Springall
05-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm not all that good at using marquees, so that's the hardest part of the exercise for me.Gosh yes!

lurkalot
05-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Googling "color converter" hoiks up this right off:

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/hex-to-rgb/color-converter.php

This online colour schemer is pretty handy for this too, http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html ;)

ktinkel
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
This online colour schemer is pretty handy for this too, http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html ;)I like ColorSchemer software as well — have it on my Mac and on my iPod Touch. The software lets you scan a real-world item and capture the color for the computer — a decade ago that function required a special tool that cost lots of money.

Nice to see you here again.

Robin Springall
05-14-2011, 08:28 AM
After moaning about how my colours looked on his screen, the client finally took my advice yesterday and went into a high street printers to look up Pantone numbers for his two background colours. We then had the usual discussion about ICC profiles and uncalibrated minataurs, and I had to start reading the riot act at him until he calmed down.

He's now claiming that an image with process tints really is line art... I've had enough for now - I'm going outside to mow our lawn!

John Spragens
05-16-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm going outside to mow our lawn!

Careful you don't cut into any gas lines.