PDA

View Full Version : Horse dreams

LoisWakeman
01-31-2005, 03:30 AM
One for Ann:

Yesterday, I went to check my pony, and he was flat out asleep in the winter sun. I managed to get quite close, and watched him for about 5 minutes, dreaming furiously. His ears and neck, legs and lips were all twitching, he was rolling his half-shut eyes, and making little whickering noises.

I was absolutely captivated - have you seen this too? I never have before...

(One of the few times I wished I had a videocam.)

annc
01-31-2005, 01:04 PM
…dreaming furiously. His ears and neck, legs and lips were all twitching, he was rolling his half-shut eyes, and making little whickering noises.

I was absolutely captivated - have you seen this too? I never have before...

(One of the few times I wished I had a videocam.)I bet you did! And you could have uploaded it here, too. <g>

I've never seen that with horses (mine spend all their time eating. <g>) but have been woken by my dog's dreams which are very similar, except that she whimpers instead of whickering.

It sounds as if he was trying to run away from something. Must be the equine equivalent of our REM dreams.

Can't say I'd want to be sharing a small stall with a horse having a REM dream. <ggg>

Richard Hunt
02-16-2005, 01:36 AM
I bet you did! And you could have uploaded it here, too. <g>

I've never seen that with horses (mine spend all their time eating. <g>) but have been woken by my dog's dreams which are very similar, except that she whimpers instead of whickering.

It sounds as if he was trying to run away from something. Must be the equine equivalent of our REM dreams.

Can't say I'd want to be sharing a small stall with a horse having a REM dream. <ggg>
Seen this kind of thing from dogs, many times. Never in a horse though.

Richard

annc
02-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Seen this kind of thing from dogs, many times. Never in a horse though.

RichardThat's probably because of the different backgounds. Dogs are hunters, whereas horses are grazers. While I've seen horses stretched out sleeping in the sun, it's rare when compared wih dogs.

Franca
02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
I actually have seen Seven dreaming. But she doesn't get nearly as active as the dogs. The dogs frequently get vocal as well - pretty funny!

Franca
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh, goody - a horsey thread! <vbg>

ElyseC
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I actually have seen Seven dreaming. But she doesn't get nearly as active as the dogs. The dogs frequently get vocal as well - pretty funny!Gee, the most interesting thing our cats do when sleeping is snore, the youngest rather loudly.

marlene
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time! How are you? Still living near the Cadbury factory? <g>

Marlene